PDA

View Full Version : i need a fast opinion

hello!
05-12-2007, 09:56 AM
can someone tell me what's a good video card i can get for a Dimension 3100, 512 MB ram, 2.83 ghz pentium 4 ht, and a 915GV chipset? thanks you. :)

Bucko
05-12-2007, 10:02 AM
nVidia 8800GTS

hello!
05-12-2007, 10:06 AM
isnt that for like PCI-x16 or something? the best slot i have is like a PCI-E.

but thx anyways. :D

bartvandenberg
05-12-2007, 01:53 PM
isnt that for like PCI-x16 or something? the best slot i have is like a PCI-E.

but thx anyways. :D

You either have a pci-e slot for video card, or agp. but.. is you have other pci-e slots, then you have a pci-e x16 slot.

figure out what you have first. if you have agp, get a 7800 gs or something. your options are very limited and not cheap.

if you have pci-e, then you could go for something like a 8800gts. good bang for its buck. if its too pricy, ive seen lots of 7 series cards like a 7900gs goin for like 150 bucks CAD, which for that price is an awesome deal.

EDIT: NVM, i just looked into it a bit, and that system has neither agp or pci-e video slots. there are cards out there that run on pci-e slots, or even pci slots, but, they are far from the greatest to say the least.

and thats pretty much the reason why noone should ever buy a premade system, especially dell. cause they are crap, and difficult to upgrade if at all. id say, go out and get a new motherboard, but, then you'd probably need to get another case, or else it wont work anyway

Zephik
05-12-2007, 09:31 PM
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=3122

Is that your PC?

If you could, can you take a picture of the inside of your PC? Unless of course, you know for a fact what you have.

Theres a few different types of PCI-E. Mainly x16 and x1. If its bigger than a PCI then its x16. If its tiny, then its x1. If all you have are white slots, then all you have is PCI.

Whatever the case is, as soon as I know what you got, I'll help you the best I can. Btw, what is your price range?