PDA

View Full Version : SATA DVD drives

XcOM
05-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I've been looking at SATA DVD drives, i'm wondering if you can install windows from these drives, or can't you as its on the sata, or does the bios do some magic for DVD drives,

I've googled and only came up with reviews for SATA drives, none of which talk about installing windows.

Anyone have any ideas?

Airbozo
05-13-2007, 04:47 PM
It really depends on the bios of your motherboard and not the drive itself. MOST newer systems should be able to boot from a sata dvd drive and install windows. If you have to install a driver for windows to see your disks (via F6 when windows starts booting), then you will probably not be able to install windows from it.

The Black Pumpkin
05-13-2007, 10:56 PM
I got the the XFX MB-N590ASH9 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813141001), and I got the Rosewill IDE device to sata adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812206002). I put the adapter on my IDE dvd burner, and I installed Windows perfectly. I didn't have to do any special drivers or anything either, that's just for installing onto sata hdd's, and since I was keeping my drive as IDE, that wasn't a problem.

So yeah, it can be done, but it may be motherboard specific, as Airbozo said, check around to see if your motherboard can.

luciusad2004
05-13-2007, 11:44 PM
So do people actually have problems with this? I wanted to by a SATA DVD drive but i didn't know that this could be a problem. If you decide to go with a SATA drive and you get it working let us know.

Eclecticos
05-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Get it working? Hell all you gotta do is plug it in.

You just have to read the box!
Apparently they don't work with certain chipsets or atleast this one.

An Article: "MSI warns users on the packaging that the drive is "designed for Intel chipset motherboards" and thus may not work with other chipsets. Unfortunately we have to confirm this: a board with a 655TX chipset from SiS failed to work, as did the Southbridge VT8237 from VIA."

Here is the Comparison of a Bunch of them HERE (http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/07/09/msi/page6.html)

luciusad2004
05-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Get it working? Hell all you gotta do is plug it in.

I meant like, get it working as in being able to use it to install windows.

Thanks for the info though. Ill ad it to my ever growing list of bookmarks. Its getting large enough were i might have to start feeding it soon.

Eclecticos
05-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Ahh. . Thats a valid concern. As long as its plugged into primary on the SATA block, I don't think there would be any problem. It would list itself in the bios and you could adjust the boot order to seek that device first.

I have an external sata connector on my mobo and was wanting to try it out with a External sata DVD drive as soon as I get one I will let you know. Pricing them now.

Silenced_Coyote
05-14-2007, 03:05 AM
I have a Samsung Sata drive and I have installed Windows Vista on it. My motherboard is the EVGA 680i SLI. Didn't have to do anything special. Just plugged it in and it was recognized right away.

XcOM
05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
thanks for the advice, im going to risk it, get one soon and try,

worst come to worst, use an ide to install, then remove it and install sata!