PDA

View Full Version : Veoh vs YouTube

Zephik
05-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Veoh (www.veoh.com)

Upload videos of any file size, length or resolution.
External media player for full screen viewing without video quality distortion. Player can also be used with media keys/remotes. Not only saves video into the "Library" section of video player, but also saves video to your computer for viewing at anytime without waiting on load time.
Youtube (www.youtube.com)

100MB file size restriction, 10 minute length restriction, usually poor to decent video quality. *Possible removal of video without notice, although they do send you a nice email saying that you violated some kind of terms of service or something like that.
Internal Full Screen Mode with possibility of video quality distortion. Does not save video unless cached.

The list can go on farther, but I don't think it needs to. That right there is enough to convince me that Veoh is kick @$$! It almost puts youtube to shame...

Have any of you guys heard of Veoh before? What do you think of it?

I wonder how long before it changes its ways to something more like youtube? Seems like its too good of a thing to be true, or at least to be true for very long.

GT40_GearHead
05-14-2007, 10:33 AM
never heard of it but it sound appealing !

oh and it saves files, damn, you mean it really saves it on your hard drive in a video file ???

FrooP
05-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah Veoh is great i always looked for a video play thing like this
thank you very much for the link

Eclecticos
05-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Not to wander of into spam land. Sorry, I have no "spamish finger filter"
I was attempting to cover up the donkey thread :D

I only have experience with realtime video recording "no pc". I know they have those DVD cameras but, I know everyone can't afford one of them.

I like the YouTube. .and the Yahoo Videos are getting better. And I noticed putfile has some random vids on there.

A long time ago i used to run vhs cam vids to the tv and record off that to capture. But that was a pain in the as.

What type of camera do you all use to make the videos? a Webcam or can you download it onto your pc via some type of media card?
What do you use?

gaz_the_chav
05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Right something tells me this should be vids and links!

Use common sense

-gaz

Zephik
05-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Right something tells me this should be vids and links!

Use common sense

-gaz

Sorry, fresh out of that I'm afraid. Have been since the day I learned that I didn't have any to begin with.

But thanks for pointing that out, Your totally right. It's in my head that whenever I read "Videos and Links" I think "Links to Videos" instead of "Links to Videos AND Links to Video related material." Which this falls in under video related material, so my bad. In the future, I shall try to be perfect and not ever make mistakes. ;) :)

@GT40 - It seems that it actually does save the video directly to your hard drive. Once you have finished downloading a video, go to the video and right click on it. Then select "Find on my PC". There also seems to be another option labeled "Find on Veoh.com", which is another really nice feature for lazy people. :)

You can also edit details about the video, rate it, save it in your players "Library" and mark as viewed or new. Also, something I just noticed, is that you can pause one video, go to another, then come back to the video you were watching previously at the place you left off at. :up:

I'll let you guy's discover the rest, but I gotta admit. This player is really cool! usually they are full of spam or they screw up your computer when you install them, this one seems to be hitch free so far. I don't know how they are doing it though... you think they would charge people for this kind of quality. I don't know how they afford it otherwise. and since not too many people seem to know about it... it doesn't seem all too likely that they are running strictly off of donations. They must have a paid account type deal or something...

Spawn-Inc
05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
you can download youtube videos, you just need to convert them from FLV format to w/e you want with Riva player

Step 1: go to Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/).
Step 2: find the video you want and copy the link in the adress bar.
Step 3: copy the link to the video onto this site KeepVid.com (http://keepvid.com/).
Step 4: click the download link and save the file as .FLV format as sometimes it doesn't do that for you.
Step 5: download Riva player/encoder here (http://www.rivavx.com/?encoder).
Step 6: you can mess with the settings and change the size, output file format, etc.

there was a video on youtube how to do it but i can't find it anymore

.Maleficus.
05-14-2007, 08:21 PM
There's an easier way.

I'm assuming you are using Firefox. If you aren't then I don't know what you're doing.

1. Download this plugin. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390) Install.
2. Click the icon on the page you want the video from. Save it.
3. Use an .FLV converter to convert it (Riva works, Total Video Converter is better).

Omega
05-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Veoh.