PDA

View Full Version : starting a new project and have a few ?s

matty
07-06-2005, 12:12 AM
I am new here, so therefore I will say hi. I have been toying with the idea of building my box right into my desk. Don't ask me why, mostly because I can. Here is a picture of the desk area.http://www.keldonsystems.net/images/DCP_1482.JPG
I want to build the actual system in the cabinet part of the desk and have the disk drive and cd/dvd drives extend vertically from the desk surface. Not quite sure how I will do this yet. A USB hub will also be built into the desk. The front panel of my audigy will extend out the front through the cabinet door. The remaining wires will be put out through the back of the desk. My questions may seem stupid but will a cd/dvd player work in a vertical position and if I use the standard spacers for the mobo that come with a case will that be ok for mounting it on wood.
Some random ideas are taking off the cabinet door and using lexan or something along those lines, that same for the portion of the desk with the computer. The area where the disks are now could also serve as a front panel instead of the door. My main theme is clean. No wires or clutter on the desk or floor. I do have *some* experience with modding, which means that I have installed lights, fans, etc but I work on cars so I have an idea of what I am getting myself into. Thanks for the input, any ideas are more that welcomed

Matty
Curiosity skilled the cat - Unknown
Rules and models destroy genuis and art - me

crenn
07-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I've toyed with this idea as well but I thought about building the entire desk around the computer and have a LCD monitor built into the desk. And 2 things....

1. Your link to the picture doesn't work
2. Are you any good at Concept Art?

matty
07-06-2005, 11:39 PM
ok, thanks. The link works for me, must be something weird going on. Concept art? My art skills are zero...nothing. I am pretty creative when it comes to solving problems though. I will post a smaller pic in a few and dbl check the code and addy to see if that fixes the problem.

MrSlacker
07-06-2005, 11:53 PM
pic works fine. i am not sure if building a comp into a desk is a good idea. upgrading and moving it will be a bitch. do you want the comp in the drawer?

matty
07-07-2005, 12:05 AM
ok here are some better pics, sorry about the size of the last ones, I forgot that my camera takes such big pics. The front door will come off and be most likely turned into a window and the little cubby hole where the disks are will be used as a front panel for the ports, audigy, and various other toys. I have not excatly figured out how I am going to layout the whole design yet but I have the basic idea and what not done. The box is already in pieces ready to be put into the cabinet when I get the planning done.http://www.keldonsystems.net/images/top.JPG http://www.keldonsystems.net/images/front.JPG

matty
07-07-2005, 12:09 AM
I don't plan on moving or upgrading it, this is just my linux box I use for hacking and programming. My main system I will do later.

Matty
shoes...listen to this guy...who needs shoes

crenn
07-07-2005, 01:42 AM
The pictures work this morning, so I'm not sure what happened...
If that's metal, then you're going to have a lot of fun wiring all this up.

If you can't do concept art, just draw the sections on your picture to where you are planning to place stuff...