PDA

View Full Version : ARMA Armed Assault

simon275
05-16-2007, 08:17 AM
People who love BF2 but feel the maps aren't big enough and those who loved operation Flash Point are gonna love this game.

It is the ultimate military simulator every military vehicle used by the US Armed Forces is in there and others. Tanks, planes jeeps trucks you name it. There is only one single map that takes 45 mins to walk across or about 45 mins to drive the length of. Basically one big island. The battles take place in one area of the Island at a time.

The game has Single Mission, Campaigns, Multilayer. The Campaign is where the game really shines as While there are main mission you have there other missions you can take which may help you in the current main mission or later on in the game such as knocking out a enemy fuel dump.

Now this is the scary bit the game is super realistic. You sprint and stop to aim at a enemy your gun will be wobbling all over the place due to your heavy breathing. You get shot you start to breath heavy walk slower and your vision blurs.

Also the AI is so fiendsly clever I struggle against the computer. Say you are on a hill and sniping some Ai's you stand up and get silhouetted against the sky they are gonna see you better then if you stand up with the hill to your back.

Here is a basic scenario where the AI kicks my butt in one of the mission

I crawl up onto a hill top overlooking an enemy camp with a few unoccupied tanks parked there. I shoot one of the tanks with my bazooka. The alarm gets sounded. The troops hit the dirt and starting trying to see me amongst the grass. The AI calls in reinforcements. 3 Trucks full of troops arrive. Two unload at the bottom of the hill and the troops form a picket line and start moving towards me. I run up and over the hill and down the back of the hill to find the troops from the third truck setting up a blocking position. All the while a helicopter prowls over head. The blocking position gets eyes on me and I take a few rounds and fall on my face. But say if I did the mission again and I up and set satchel charges on the tanks. The AI may react differently.

All the missions aren't shooting though. There is another mission where the base comes under attack so I have to get in a truck and go get reinforcements. Its not as easy as it sounds. I only have rough directions to follow there are county lanes leading everywhere and I have to navigate using a compass, a map and geographical features.

I highly recommend this game to everyone.

jdbnsn
05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes! That is the game I have been looking for! I saw a preview of this long ago and had since forgotten the name. Thanks man!

intergalacticman
05-16-2007, 01:26 PM
dude when is it coming out, i read an article in pc gamer and it looked most excellent!

simon275
05-16-2007, 09:52 PM
It is out it came out 1st of may in the states.

intergalacticman
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
nice thats goin to be our LAN party's BF2 replacement soon

Commando
05-17-2007, 10:44 PM
This is kinda crazy.

I have the real deal VB1 lite version of this software. It is pretty bizarre that you guys just brought it up because I just got it a couple of days ago by chance.

I saw a demo of this when I was helping out with another simulation project. I kept saying how far behind the simulation stuff we use at work is compared to commercial software. That's when one of the contractors I met asked me if I had seen this new software. I started checking it out and it is top notch first person shooter stuff. They have gone in and worked the physics out for accurate tracer fire and ricochets. It's pretty wild stuff. It's like BF2 on steroids and much more realistic. After checking it out they asked if I wanted to try a demo version. I calmly said yeah, I'll check it out. So long story short it's sitting on my desk here at home and I've been so busy I haven't even gotten a chance to really check it out.

I feel kinda bad for mentioning it because I'd love to give all you all copies but I'd rather not spend the rest of my career in prison. I will totally tell you all about it and if I find out more I'll let you know. The company that makes it is some really small company call Bohemia Interactive.

Here's a link to the commercial version your talking about.
http://www.vbs2.com/site/files/arma_logo.jpg (http://www.armedassault.com/)

Redundant
05-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Don't fret Commando, the demo is on their site already (http://www.armedassault.com/dwnl_demo.html); possibly the same one you have.

simon275
05-18-2007, 08:42 PM
At the moment I am getting no work done I am just playing this game. Sneaking around trying to snipe off enemy commanders then evading and surviving. Leading a column of Humvee's through enemy controlled country side. Clear towns of enemy combatants with a special forces unit.

Also there is a mode I never new about. If you are the team leader of a squad you can flick to a real time view looking down from the sky about 50m up and direct your troops to go up and take points while you stay in cover. The game also has first and 3rd person modes.

One new tactic I have discovered on how to sneak up on the enemy at night in a vehicle is drive up to a hill above an enemy's base turn off the engine and coast down into there base.

Most mission in the game will have to replayed at least 10 times maybe more as you keep dying due to silly mistakes. Like of I am gonna break cover and run fro that building. *crack in the distance and wam I take a sniper bullet and go down.

I recommend more people buy this so then we can play online as a team against real people and AI.

The game can take addons and is very easy to mod and skin for apparently. Here is a site with many addons. http://www.armadb.com It even has some pretty accurate US Marine Skins on there for those who don't want to be the default US Airborne.

Commando
05-19-2007, 12:19 AM
It even has some pretty accurate US Marine Skins on there for those who don't want to be the default US Airborne.
Yeah but who would want to do that?

Oh wait a minute.....

jdbnsn
05-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Just bought ARMA, looking forward to seeing how it lives up to the hype. I'll let you know...

simon275
05-25-2007, 11:37 PM
I am struggling with a side mission at the moment where you are a tank commander and you lead 3 tanks from a shore landing to attack this base and then drive for a couple of k's and take out this over base except I either get ambushed by AT guys hiding in trees in ambush positions along the road or when I get to the base the three tanks get taken out by 2 T72's hiding in between buildings.

So far the best way to get the AT guys is to drive along the side of the road and when I come to a patch of trees by the side of the road to tell my tank to go full speed and knock down the trees and crush the emeny troops.

Another good tactic is to get out of the tank sneak up to the base lob a grenade over the fence and try and blow the tracks of one of the tanks so it can only drive in circles.

Good to see others buying it. I can't wait to a have a TBCS squad together for some online action.

Also with this game keep the manual as your CD key is on the back plus it has helpful hints.

jdbnsn
05-26-2007, 12:01 AM
So far I'm a little disappointed, it's exactly like Operation flashpoint. I'll keep at it though...

simon275
05-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Its better though some really sweet mission coming up.

Commando
05-27-2007, 03:01 AM
Remember I said I got a demo military version of this, yeah it sux. Game versions are usually much more fun. The real version is so in depth that it's boring.

I do look forward to checking out ARMA though. It sounds pretty cool.

Can you fly? Helos and stuff?

By the way, when your in a tank, a good tactic for taking care of dismounted AT guys is to use the COAX machine gun. That's what it's designed for. It's a 240g machine gun that is coaxially mounted to the main gun, therefore accurate as crap because it's slaved into the fire control system.

simon275
05-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Can you fly? Helos and stuff?

Oh yeah the cobra, blackhawk the works bunch of russian helicopters even jets I think. Although I have barely scratched the surface when it comes to the air let alone the ground with the number of vehicles and the number of vehicle configs there are.

By the way, when your in a tank, a good tactic for taking care of dismounted AT guys is to use the COAX machine gun. That's what it's designed for. It's a 240g machine gun that is coaxially mounted to the main gun, therefore accurate as crap because it's slaved into the fire control system.

That to but if I need to haul ass and the trees happen to be in my path and AT guys happen to be there then I just save ammo. Plus its more fun mowing down some trees some guys where using for cover.

I think I might give multilayer a go sometime to.

Commando
05-28-2007, 01:51 AM
That to but if I need to haul ass and the trees happen to be in my path and AT guys happen to be there then I just save ammo.

It's pretty funny, I've kinda done that in real life. Not over anybody but tons of stuff I've just blown right through. Small trees up to about 6 inches, no big deal. The funny thing you'll never realize in a game is that as soon as you do stuff like that, your driver can't see anything cause all that stuff piles up on the front deck. I've cooked through some walls before but my driver was like WTF, tell me where to go. Then it's the ultimate backseat driver time, "backup, right,right,right, STOP, go forward, right, YOUR OTHER RIGHT" you get the idea. Pretty comical stuff.

Even funner at night, in bad scary places. Much less stressfull. Yeah,........

simon275
05-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Yeah I have to direct my tank through trees. Cool story commando. You where a tanker weren't you?

Commando
05-29-2007, 12:10 AM
You where a tanker weren't you?

I know most people kinda avoid talking about their real jobs. Me included. I am currently a tanker in the military. I'm not currently on tanks though. I'm in an instructor job right now, teaching other stuff, not tank related. I certainly don't mind answering any questions. I just don't want to hijack anybody's thread.

I guess I'm like everyone else. I could talk for hours on my job but I come here to enjoy BSing about my hobbies mostly. But just a parting shot.

http://www.airbrushtricks.com/images/cool/cool%20landscape.JPG

simon275
05-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Nah thats cool mate I just vaugely remember something and you where talking about military simulator versions of this and etc so I figured why not ask. Cool pic by the way. You had a go of the retail version of this game yet?

Commando
05-29-2007, 01:29 PM
No I haven't gotten a chance to play the retail version yet. I just bought BF2. I I've been playing BF2142 for a while now and I just had to try BF2 also.

Nah thats cool mate I just vaugely remember something and you where talking about military simulator versions of this and etc so I figured why not ask.
Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job. I just usually don't bring it up because I don't want it to come across as "Look at me. I have a cool job." Being in the military is much more groundhog dayish. It's really cool for about the 1st year. After that the novelty wears off and the responsibility sinks in.

Plus, I think I chose the wrong career, because I hate getting up early in the morning. That's something you never get used to.