PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill Workstation

AJ@PR
05-16-2007, 11:06 AM
straight from /.

"Did you know you could lose as much as 66 pounds by sweating on your PC? Well using the Mayo Clinic's vertical workstation (http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/15170), that just might be the weight loss wave of the future. The vertical workstation is basically a desk mounted over a treadmill that lets office workers to kill two birds with one stone — send emails, check invoices and write reports and burn calories at the same time, say Professors James Levine and Jennifer Miller of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, who came up with the machine/desk. There are other things you can try as well. For example, the FPGamerunner, a USB full-size treadmill that works with any first-person shooter (FPS) game, has you covered. Walking on the treadmill moves your character through the game. Handlebars and buttons at the front of the $1,299 treadmill control your direction and fire your weapons."
This seems like a lot better idea than me trying to collect Pokemon on an elliptical trainer which will no doubt one day lead to a very embarrassing obituary.

Umm... I'm kind of blank with this.
I know you guys will make sense of this mod.

Would you do it?
I think that after -10 seconds I would go and plug the thing directly to the wall.

Luke122
05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
From what I'm reading, its not powering the PC, its just a workstation on a treadmill so you can exercise while you use it. You can stop walking if you want, but that sort of defeats the point.

Kind of like instead of sitting on your ass watching tv, you are riding a stationary bike. You can stop riding if you want, but the whole point is to keep you moving. :D

nil8
05-16-2007, 11:51 AM
People lack discipline enough to make themselves exercise or be active. This is a possible solution and isn't a bad idea, as long as you work/play at home.
This would never work in an office enviroment. Dress clothes and sweating it to your address book don't mix.

Still, I think if this was modified and marketed for console play and kids, I think it could be useful in helping with childhood obesity issues.

Still, best option is to get out & do something. Spending your entire life staring at a screen is hard on your eyes and body.

Luke122
05-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Still, I think if this was modified and marketed for console play and kids, I think it could be useful in helping with childhood obesity issues.

*cough*Wii*cough*

;)

XcOM
05-16-2007, 04:56 PM
*cough*Wii*cough*

;)

i second