PDA

View Full Version : Vista Graphical "lag"

Wasabisam
05-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Well i have seen alot of Vista talk to i decided to get it. Nice install quick and easy but now im having problems with my graphics.

EDIT: i forgot to say its Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

When i run a game eg CS:S i get lag every now and then but i never did when i played on Windows XP. All the settings are the same ( I even downgraded CSS from High to Medium). My computer specs are below. ( Its not my internet either my pings stay around 20 and its not server lag because i lag when i create my own server )

2 x 1gb DDR2 Ram sticks

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz ( Not overclocked )

Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT

Also im only running one screen 19" LCD

My main question is how do i get Vista to peform better than it is? I like vista but am dissapointed at the moment.

Thanks for the help

Sam

Luke122
05-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Try changing Vistas theme to the old Windows interface.. turning off the theme made a big difference in performance on my laptop.

Wasabisam
05-17-2007, 05:46 PM
ok just did that then ill test it latter for now i have school

XcOM
05-17-2007, 06:25 PM
TBH, i run Ultimate 32bit, and it runs fine in games, i get just below what i got in xp, but in xp i was using drivers from ati, in vista im using M$ drivers.

have you noticed the drivers from nvidia are still beta and don't peform to the best of the cards abilty.

Luke122
05-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Now that I think about it, it's not likely a graphics problem.. I wonder if the upgrade from XP to Vista was a clean install, or an upgrade.. :)

XcOM
05-17-2007, 06:42 PM
yea, i never recommend upgrade, they always make an OS run like,,well,,,,,i can't sware, RUBBISH will do.

Always peform a clean install.

Luke122
05-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Even a defrag may help... or making sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware (as Xcom mentioned above).

Wasabisam
05-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Yeh it was a fresh install. formatted nd all. I have tried to defrag it but seems to not help that much.

Luke122
05-18-2007, 11:01 AM
You said "when you run a game".. does it happen in all games? If so, I'd really suspect drivers.

Outlaw
05-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Could be running out of memory? Vista isn't exactly a resource freindly OS. Just a thought.

Silenced_Coyote
05-27-2007, 07:55 PM
TBH, i run Ultimate 32bit, and it runs fine in games, i get just below what i got in xp, but in xp i was using drivers from ati, in vista im using M$ drivers.

have you noticed the drivers from nvidia are still beta and don't peform to the best of the cards abilty.

I don't know what you are talking about. My 8800 drivers for Vista 32-bit say they are WHQL certified. They are releasing new drivers about every month.

Could be running out of memory? Vista isn't exactly a resource freindly OS. Just a thought.

I don't understand why people keep bringing the memory issue up. I am using 2GB and it runs perfectly fine when I play games (Oblivion and Company of Heroes). So don't go out and buy another 2 GB thinking it is going to make a huge difference. Just think of Vista as "efficient". If you are running a game and there is 512MB of unused memory, why not just use it since it is drawing power anyways. Vista will share RAM.

XcOM
05-28-2007, 06:34 PM
i got 1gb and its fine,

when you download the 8800 drivers, or any driver from nv for vista, check the bottom. it mentions the drivers are not final- ie beta.

Outlaw
05-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't know what you are talking about. My 8800 drivers for Vista 32-bit say they are WHQL certified. They are releasing new drivers about every month.

I don't understand why people keep bringing the memory issue up. I am using 2GB and it runs perfectly fine when I play games (Oblivion and Company of Heroes). So don't go out and buy another 2 GB thinking it is going to make a huge difference. Just think of Vista as "efficient". If you are running a game and there is 512MB of unused memory, why not just use it since it is drawing power anyways. Vista will share RAM.

I wasn't telling him to buy another 2GB of memory. I was simply implying to check that there isn't something running in that background using a lot of memory. And just because you have 512MB free doesn't mean his system does. I work with computers older then this and see on a daily basis what low memory will do. Some of them here have 128MB and 256MB with about 7MB free. And that is at idle. That's all I was simply implying him to do was to check the usage. Never assume unless absolutely necessary.

XcOM
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
vista does want more memory than XP, but not vast ammounts.

and regarding Nvidia drivers:

These NVIDIA Windows Vista drivers are under development. This version is not fully optimized for full 3D performance and may not include all available features available on different operating systems. NVIDIA, along with the industry, is continuing to update its Windows Vista drivers to ensure maximum performance on 3D applications and add support for features. These drivers are provided "AS IS." NVIDIA MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WHATSOVER AS TO MERCHANTABILITY, COMPATABILITY, PERFORMANCE, APPLICATION OR FUNCTION, AND DISCLAIMS ALL SUCH WARRANTIES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW.

link:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_158.18.html

at the bottom.

Silenced_Coyote
05-30-2007, 07:31 PM
I wasn't telling him to buy another 2GB of memory. I was simply implying to check that there isn't something running in that background using a lot of memory. And just because you have 512MB free doesn't mean his system does. I work with computers older then this and see on a daily basis what low memory will do. Some of them here have 128MB and 256MB with about 7MB free. And that is at idle. That's all I was simply implying him to do was to check the usage. Never assume unless absolutely necessary.

At least for me, that didn't come to mind. Your first post seemed more focused on Vista itself as the possible culprit of the memory issue. And I never assume he had 512MB free, I was using it as an example. But thanks for clarifying things with this post.

vista does want more memory than XP, but not vast ammounts.

and regarding Nvidia drivers:

link:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_158.18.html

at the bottom.

Thanks for the link. On EVGA's site, the 158.43 isn't WHQL certified, but I am sure that I saw that it was for 158.18.

XcOM
05-31-2007, 10:13 AM
my bro is using the latest drivers for the 8800 on vista utlmate, and its good, i can't see any peformance diffrence between vista and XP.

and your welcome to the link.

Silenced_Coyote
05-31-2007, 12:55 PM
I looked at the page more closely (the link to the driver on nVidia's site) it it says it is WHQL certified. Why would Microsoft certify a beta driver? I thought they had tougher rules then that. I pretty sure it took a while for nVidia to get their first 100.xx drivers certified for the 8800 cards and a whole bunch of people were complaining about it.

XcOM
06-04-2007, 12:35 PM
i've read the WHQL statment when i was planning on getting one of my apps certified by M$, and for drivers, its not that hard to meet the requirements, the major requirement is that the driver dosent create an instabilty within the kernal.