PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 Beta!

Indybird
05-17-2007, 10:13 PM
As many of you know, Halo 3 Multiplayer Beta was released yesterday. I finally go my hands on it today and let me tell you it is friggin' awesome! If you are a Halo fan you will love this.

Who else here has played or wants to play H3 Beta/H3?

Durrthock
05-17-2007, 10:25 PM
I bought crackdown months ago and I really didn't think about the halo 3 beta. Actually I didn't think halo 3 would amount to anything. Today I downloaded the beta. I went form something I might buy to something I will definately buy. I you have crackdown. Play the beta. Ive never been one for online gaming or halo 2 but I just played for 4 straight hours with my friend. It is at the top of my buy list now!!

Play it!!
Its really really fun.
Post any questions here and Ill answer them tomorrow. Bed now school tomorrow

Goodnight

AJ@PR
05-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I haven't played this!!!

DUDUDDEE!!!

You can't just make this announcement and leave us Halo2 guys without more info!!
You can't be that cruel man!

C'mon!
Spill the beans pleaseeeeE!
What's up with the game?

Impressions?
Did you play campaign or... :D deathmatch?
I've read the sound is a new step in Halo3...

xRyokenx
05-18-2007, 10:07 AM
If it's for PC, then hell yeah! If not, then ahhh well.

Let us know how it is. :D

The Black Pumpkin
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
And screenshots! Please, merciful screenshots! :D

luciusad2004
05-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm not in the beta but i do know that the beta is only online multiplayer and its for the 360. Anyone here with a capture card in the beta? it would be nice to see some good footage. Preferably with less action so we can get a chance to see the nice details... you know before they get hit with a spartan laser.

DaJe
05-18-2007, 01:33 PM
It seems so strange to me to come here and see everyone lacking all knowledge of Halo 3. There are already all kinds of videos and screenshots out everywhere, high quality ones, and there has been for a while.

I also have the beta, as well as every single person I know. Some of them even got it early. You guys are still in the dark? Well damn, I guess I could record me playing if you want. Or I could hook up my 360 to my computer and broadcast a live video feed of my games.

AJ@PR
05-18-2007, 02:10 PM
you know before they get hit with a spartan laser.
I'm such a Halo nerd...

Luciusad... I'm sorry mate... but there are no Spartan lasers.

It seems so strange to me to come here and see everyone lacking all knowledge of Halo 3. There are already all kinds of videos and screenshots out everywhere, high quality ones, and there has been for a while.
Dude, we're waiting for your input.

But really, I don't know... I like... prefer to have a mate's input on that.
I've seen a couple of vids in YouTube...

I also have the beta, as well as every single person I know. Some of them even got it early. You guys are still in the dark? Well damn, I guess I could record me playing if you want. Or I could hook up my 360 to my computer and broadcast a live video feed of my games.
Umm.... YES!!!

Both!
Record!
And Live!

HahaHah! Nahh... we'll be happy with either one. :D

luciusad2004
05-18-2007, 03:36 PM
No lasers? NO LAZERZ!?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO LASERS? They keep showing lasers... have i been had or are they just not in the beta? : (

DaJe
05-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Well I can't do it right now, I'm at work. Maybe later tonight I'll post a thread and start broadcasting it.

AJ@PR
05-18-2007, 04:24 PM
No lasers? NO LAZERZ!?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO LASERS? They keep showing lasers... have i been had or are they just not in the beta? : (
No no no...
Halo does have lasers.
I'm sure Halo3 also has lasers.

But, at least in Halo and Halo2, there are no Spartan lasers.

Well I can't do it right now, I'm at work. Maybe later tonight I'll post a thread and start broadcasting it.

Cool man!
Don't sweat it... if possible, then yeah! :D

Indybird
05-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Sorry I left you guys hangin like that...
First of all, it is for Xbox 360 only
Second, you can only do matchmaking, nothing else
Third, there is a spartan laser
Fourth, its friggin awesome!

Sorry, I havent recorded a match yet but Ill prolly get to it next week...

Heres the details:

-Weapons-
Battle Rifle: No changes, other than graphics
Assault Rifle: Its back and its never looked better (graphically)! Its really good, especially when use in burst fire
Plasma Rifle: No Changes
Plasma Pistol: Charges faster but doesnt follow the target anymore
Brute Shot: New, cool shot effect
Brute Spiker Pistols: Dual-wieldable, fully automatic, very powerful
Covenant Carbine: No real changes
Human Pistol: (Havent seen it in the beta)
Sniper: No changes other than the new, cool looking scope!
Covenant Sniper: No Changes
Rocket Launcher: Doesn't lock on anymore :( and has less area of effect :(
Spartan Laser!: (If you play gears of war) Works very much like the torque-bow; charges up then fires. Completely obliterates anyone and everything!
SMG: No changes, but who cares!?

There are also two new weapons which bungie calls "support weapons." These include a rocket turret and MG turret. The difference between these and normal turrets is that you can unmount these and carry them around. You go into a third-person view while carrying and firing these.

-Vehicles-
Sadly I havent seen any vehicles other than the MG Warthog (which isn't different at all) and the Mongoose. The mongoose is a two-seated, unarmed ATV. Its very fast and is great for CTF matches or getting into action really fast.

-Levels-
The Beta only comes with three levels: Valhalla, Highground and that snowy one (I forgot what its called). They are all very cool and well balanced. The landscapes have never looked better. Valhalla is the only level that is symmetrical, Valhalla is also the only level that has the man-cannon. People have had their doubts, but the "man cannon" has turned out to be crucial in getting right into battle. The man cannon is a massive jumper that boosts you into the middle of the level, usually where all the action is. I had loads of fun on every level and I am hoping that the rest of the levels in H3 will be just as nice.

-Interface/Controls-
I love the new HUD it is very smooth and displays all of the info you need in the spots you need it. The new shield indicator is in the top middle, but other than that nothing has really been moved. When you're above a dual-wieldable weapon the left weapon "pickup message" appears under the left weapon box and the right appears under the right, which just makes sense and works very nicely.
I was a little disappointed with bungies new "amazingly cool new X-button function" You know what it does that they were making such a huge deal about? It deploys your usable items. (sarcastic) WOAH! Anyway, though that isn't that cool but the deployable items are. These include:
Bubble shield: big clear shield that protects you from anything
Energy Drainer: rolls around sucking up shields
Mine: Also, speaks for itself
Portable Jumper: A small jumper that you can drop anywhere you need a boost

Other than the X button for items and the shoulder buttons for what the old X-Button did theres no other changes to the controls.

-Menus/Features-
Menus
The menus now have a very cool 3D space or earth backround. They are easy to navigate and everything feels right and thoughtfully placed. Though the menus only have matchmaking, they are still cool. The "party" window also has everything you need. You can select players and view their specs/add them to your friends list. While in matchmaking and the level is loading, the players can veto the map that was chosen and have it switch to another (The votes 6/8 or 75% of the players). Also certain menu buttons like settings are accessible from anywhere. Which brings me to character customizability.

Customizability (Is that even a word?)
Very cool. There are three different color sections on your armor and each section has like 30 or 40 colors to choose from (Including true black!). The player symbol has the same amount of customizability. A cool new thing is the addition of custom ID tags. What these are is a letter then two numbers which will appear above your character during team-based games. This makes it easier to address and identify specific team-mates. Customizable items like controls and such havent changed because they are such basic options.

Features
There are a few very cool features in Halo 3 which are either cool or just make sense to have. They include:
-Match recording: Now you can record every single one of your matches and save them to your HDD. With saved movies it isn't just a recording of your view, its a recording of the whole match. You can change the camera, pause it and much more. This will make it alot easier for all the people who make montages!
-File Sharing: Halo 3 adds a very cool function to the Xbox 360. Now you can share files (mostly recorded matches) with everyone on your friends list. Of course things like downloaded content or demos can't be shared but this is still a very cool feature
-Achievements: Finally, (like Halo 2 Vista) they have brought achievements to Halo! Perfect. Halo has been needing that since the release of 360 and the new Live.

-Misc. Thoughts/Conclusion-
Halo 3 feels very solid and I absolutely love the beta. If you are a Halo fan, let me tell you: you are going to LOVE this game. Its very, very solid and the gameplay feels right. There are no glitches or problems that I've seen so far in the beta, which is surprising for a beta release. I played it all last night and am no where close to losing interest, even with only 3 levels!

Halo 3 Beta gets an A+ from me.

If you know anyone who has it I'd recommend you go try it out...

Hope my details weren't to long. If there's anything you think I left out that you want to know, just ask me...

By the way DaJe what is your gamertag? Mine is indybird (duh), maybe we can get together on H3 before the beta period ends.

AJ@PR
05-18-2007, 04:31 PM
^^^ Nice write up man!!!

Indybird
05-18-2007, 09:39 PM
^^^ Nice write up man!!!

Thanks, I probably could have summed that all up in a 5 minute video but what ev. You know what they say: A picture is worth a thousand words or in this case a video is worth 976 words... :rolleyes:

luciusad2004
05-18-2007, 09:50 PM
No no no...
Halo does have lasers.
I'm sure Halo3 also has lasers.

But, at least in Halo and Halo2, there are no Spartan lasers.

Ah sorry about that, i was talking about halo 3. : )

Indybird
05-19-2007, 01:16 AM
I bought crackdown months ago and I really didn't think about the halo 3 beta. Actually I didn't think halo 3 would amount to anything. Today I downloaded the beta. I went form something I might buy to something I will definately buy. I you have crackdown. Play the beta. Ive never been one for online gaming or halo 2 but I just played for 4 straight hours with my friend. It is at the top of my buy list now!!

Play it!!
Its really really fun.
Post any questions here and Ill answer them tomorrow. Bed now school tomorrow

Goodnight
what is your gamertag, Ill be playin it all next week!

-Indybird

Durrthock
05-19-2007, 01:04 PM
It my name Durrthock
Second sorry I didnt see your thread.

Durrthock
05-19-2007, 01:06 PM
There are lazers but theres a charge time before you fire its really not that usefull.

Indy my gt is Durrthock
Add me and Ill pwn u

AJ@PR
05-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Moved the threads... and merged two.

Both of Halo 3... both created within 10 minutes of each other.

I still haven't played Halo3... but last night I stayed up almost all night playing Halo2 on xLive. :D

AJ@PR
07-16-2007, 10:48 AM
I just wanted to announce to the planet that I bought a 360, finally.

I eagerly await Halo3.

You hear that Microsoft!!! I'm WAITING!
:D
:bunny:

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
You're not the only one.:D

AJ@PR
07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
You're not the only one.:D

When I went to buy the 360, the conversation went a little like this...

AJ: Hello. :) I'd like an Elite please.
Kid: 360?
AJ: Yup yup :D
Kid: We also have the PlayStation 3...
AJ: I hate Sony. And PlayStation sucks. But thanks. :)
Kid: Oh. Well, we also have the new Nintendo Wii...
AJ: I play Halo, and nothing else. Thanks, but no thanks.
Kid: The Wii's controllers are 3D /&/
AJ: Halo doesn't run on the Wii. Nevermind.
Kid: Would you like to reserve Halo3?
AJ: Yes!!! :D
Kid: We also have custom painted controllers that are going to come out specifically for Halo3.
AJ: No thanks.
Kid: They're hand painted, with lines depicting...
AJ: Dude, I change controllers ever 2-3 months... No.
Kid: Would you be interested in reserving Crash Ban.. /&/
AJ: Look, I don't play video games. I'm not a gamer. I play Halo. That's it. No, I'm not interested.
Kid: Would you want to extended warranty for your 360?
**AJ thinks about Project Drei sechzig...**
AJ: No... definitely no. :D
Kid: If something happens, you have to send it to the US for repair...
AJ: Nothing will happen. I'm going to change the internal fans, add a new one, put a small piece of foam between the motherboard and the dvd drive, then...
Kid: If you do that, you might void the warranty.
**Oh, how I wanted the tShirt that says "I Void Warranties"**
AJ: No problem! Thanks!

Right now, I'm trying to migrate my account of xLive to the 360... so I can download all the updates/packages/maps for Halo2. I know that's going to take a long while, so I'll do it now instead of when I actually want to play. =\

:D

slytherock
07-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Kid: If something happens, you have to send it to the US for repair...
AJ: Nothing will happen. I'm going to change the internal fans, add a new one, put a small piece of foam between the motherboard and the dvd drive, then...
Kid: If you do that, you might void the warranty.
**Oh, how I wanted the tShirt that says "I Void Warranties"**

LMFAO :D

I think the same thing evrytime I enter a computer store :D

Spawn-Inc
07-16-2007, 02:48 PM
right so i take it this is going to be a big game... do yous people think its going to sell out? would it be worth it to preorder the ultra super duper limited platinum'ized gold covered silver edition? and then sell on ebay after?

Mitternacht
07-16-2007, 02:51 PM
would it be worth it to preorder the ultra super duper limited platinum'ized gold covered silver edition? and then sell on ebay after?

Nope, but take a Master Chief helmet, throw in a pico-ATX mobo psu and laptop hdd and sell it for big bucks.

My favorite 3 lines. :D +rep

Redundant
07-16-2007, 04:20 PM
right so i take it this is going to be a big game... do yous people think its going to sell out?Big is an understatement (http://www.halo3boards.org/downloads/halo3trailer.mov). (Quicktime file) 8) I saw a video of the making of that video (lol) and it said it was made with the game engine; not pre-rendered. :eek: :banana:

I have reserved some of my $ to buy a 360 Elite as well. The problem is, the Target near me hasn't had any in stock for 2 months and my mom refuses to go anywhere else! :eek:
I just heard some good news too about the warranty; they upped it to 3 years (http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/05/xbox-360-warranty-extended-to-three-years/). MS also might slash prices on the 360s (http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/12/microsoft-plans-on-slashing-360-to-mass-market-price-point/). (Hopefully, they get their act together and put the new chipset in them soon.) Also, in France, a guy opened up his newly-repaired 360 and found a new heatsink for the GPU (http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/13/microsoft-beefs-up-xbox-360-cooling-freaking-finally/). Interesting... :think:

No, I'm not obsessed! :p Linktacular! (Anyone get that? ;))

Indybird
07-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Halo 3 is going massive. I don't care if you don't like Halo, you can't even deny the fact that this on opening day will probably be the best-selling game of all time. Since I don't have a 360 I'm not pre-ordering it. But, I have two friends who are pre-ordering it (ones across the street), so I'm not worried about not playing it as soon as it comes out. Im happy because bungie/microsoft is probably going to release Halo 3 PC a year afterwards :up:. I say probably because that is what microsoft is trying to do with all their big titles (such as Gears of War).

Anyway, Halo 3 is going to friggin awesome.

-Indybird

xRyokenx
07-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Well... while I'm holding off to get Vista as long as I can, I'll see what the req's are when it comes to PC and we'll see what happens. I'd like to upgrade this PC a little and in a few years (funds permitting, damned expensive college) I'd like to build a Vista gaming PC too...

Good thing I have neighbors that are getting it too. M$ has some good FPS games on their consoles. If I had a 360, we'd have preordered this one on the first day possible.

Indybird
07-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Well... while I'm holding off to get Vista as long as I can, I'll see what the req's are when it comes to PC and we'll see what happens. I'd like to upgrade this PC a little and in a few years (funds permitting, damned expensive college) I'd like to build a Vista gaming PC too...

Good thing I have neighbors that are getting it too. M$ has some good FPS games on their consoles. If I had a 360, we'd have preordered this one on the first day possible.

If you're waiting on vista cause you don't like it, I'd say get it because I don't think theres anything wrong with it. I really, and I mean really don't think vista is that bad. Its getting too much bad rep. Maybe I'm lucky and have had almost no problems but still, we're computer-smart and can fix most problems. (Boy would I feel dumb ranting like that if that wasnt your reason :p )

xRyokenx
07-16-2007, 07:22 PM
I like Vista just fine, I just don't want to upgrade yet. That and I'd need new RAM (I want to get better anyway) and possibly a better video card. The whole deal with it asking you to continue with its own processes is silly, but I'm not worried about it. I like XP too, so that's what I"m gonna use as it's what I have.

AJ@PR
07-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Ok, so I was searching for Halo3 videos... as I still haven't played it... and I came across something quite interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dn1o9muOQ
It's the Halo3 trailer with... check this, "The Circle Of Life" song from Disney's The Lion King.

Um yeah, sounds wierd?
It's even more wierd when Cortana's mouth movements "kinda" synch with the song... and when the weapon fires, that the music goes into BIG-TIME mode.

I liked it.

((can you see I'm eager for H3?!?!:D))

Spawn-Inc
07-17-2007, 03:55 PM
I like Vista just fine, I just don't want to upgrade yet. That and I'd need new RAM (I want to get better anyway) and possibly a better video card. The whole deal with it asking you to continue with its own processes is silly, but I'm not worried about it. I like XP too, so that's what I"m gonna use as it's what I have.

not to go to far off topic but can vista handle 4gbs of ram? i've heard xp can only handle 3.5gbs.

AJ@PR
07-17-2007, 04:12 PM
not to go to far off topic but can vista handle 4gbs of ram? i've heard xp can only handle 3.5gbs.

I don't have the nitty-gritty on it... but I would fall backwards if it didn't support 4GBs.

Indybird
07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Vista 32-bit is exactly the same as XP, 3.5GB of RAM. Yeah kinda gay but personally I don't think Ill ever need more than 2GB of RAM...

Spawn-Inc
07-17-2007, 05:06 PM
well i was planing on starting out with 2gbs and then later on when i have to go with vist for DX10 i was also gonna get another 2*1gb set.

Indybird
07-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Get home premium 64-bit. Its not too much more...

Spawn-Inc
07-17-2007, 06:02 PM
isn't there problems with having 64bit stuff? like its not very common? and programs won't run on it unless there 64bit.

Redundant
07-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Ok, so I was searching for Halo3 videos... as I still haven't played it...
((can you see I'm eager for H3?!?!:D))

Did you look at, say, the Bungie website? (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=ethreeblowout) 8) There are some good videos there and many screenshots.

Did you also see the video I linked to in my other post (http://www.halo3boards.org/downloads/halo3trailer.mov)? (Quicktime video)