PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing my 8800GTS

TheGreatSatan
05-18-2007, 02:39 PM
So I have a 640MB card here that drops to like 10 fps when I have a big explosion in C&C: Yuri's Revenge. I thought this was like a great card that would let me avoid these hiccups. It reminds me of my 9800XT. Is there something I can do to optimize my 8800GTS's abilities? Maybe in the NVidia control panel or the BIOS. NO OVERCLOCKING!

Outlaw
05-18-2007, 02:59 PM
I would start with making sure you have the correct and updated drivers. I haven't personally played that version of C&C but don't think it would be that much more graphic damanding then the previous versions unless they made some changes. Is ther a lot of stuff going on on the screen when the explosion happens?

TheGreatSatan
05-18-2007, 04:11 PM
I chronosphere about 8 demolition trucks into an enemy base and they take out about ten building at once, so....

Outlaw
05-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a little bit going on there. Did you check that you have the latest driver? I know that some of the early drivers were junk. If you didn't already. I would delete the driver you have and install the driver from Nvidia's site. I haven't had any issues with it. Ill have to try putting a heavy load on mine this weekend.

**updated**

I just saw you used the disk in this (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8296) post. I would uninstall that and get the one on nvidia's site.

simon275
05-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah definitely use the latest one from NVIDIA. Also is there a slow down in other games when alot is going on? Or is it just in Yuris? As the games software could be screwy

TheGreatSatan
05-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Yuri is the only game I play so I don't know about how others play.

I downloaded the newest drivers that came out this month and then ran some tests with 3DMark06

http://imageigloo.com/images/63323dmark06.JPG

I changed my Nvidia control panel from 'highest quality' to 'best performance' and scored more than 300 points better.

http://imageigloo.com/images/87823dmark06a.JPG

I then changed my image settings from 'Quality' to 'High Performance' and bumped my score up another 17 points.

http://imageigloo.com/images/73323dmark06b.JPG

The Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering are set to 'Application Controlled'. Is there anything else I should look for before I try my game again?

Silenced_Coyote
05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Wait, are you setting all the graphical settings in the Nvidia Control Panel so that it overrides the game's settings? You could try using only the in-game settings set to max and see if you have the same problem.

Like someone said, it could just be the game. Because in Company of Heroes, I don't get that problem when I use artillary strikes and other explosives that make dirt and debris fly all over the place.

Also, do you have the latest patch for the game, if any?

TheGreatSatan
05-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Like I said, they're set to: 'Application Controlled'

Silenced_Coyote
05-20-2007, 08:03 PM
I meant try not to even have a game profile.

Durrthock
05-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Dropping from what like 340 to 330 that game should be no problem for you computer. The computers at school can run it!

The boy 4rm oz
06-18-2007, 09:59 AM
The same thing happens to we when playing C&C Generals. But thats only coz I'm playing against 6 different NPC players and theres about 600+ units on the screen at the same time.

Moofaa
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I just scored 820 on my laptop.

haha49
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
sounds.. like its eather old or wrong drivers.. or the rest of your hardware isnt up to par ie cpu ram.. i found when i upgraded my vidio card on my older computer it made a small diffrence untill i uped the cpu and ram then it was super fast

onelegout
07-12-2007, 09:25 AM
That sounds VERY sketchy. You should be running it with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Check your cpu temps. What is your other hardware? I'm guessing an E6600 or similar C2D and 2gb of ram? That sounds about right for that 3dmark06 score with that card.
Check for any patches for the game. Make sure that the game is the only thing running (ie, quit any instant messaging programs, etc. etc. before running the game)

H