PDA

View Full Version : HDD's won't spin up.

CHIMERA
05-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I just bought a new case, psu, mobo, cpu and ram a little while ago. The case has a 450w psu. When I power-up, my HDD's don't spin up and I don't get the conformation beep from my mobo. Is there anything that anyone can think of off of the top of their heads? My HDD's are still in good working order. I need my computer back, please help me!!!!

Zephik
05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, start with unassembling everything and then reassembling it. That has seemed to work for me in more than one situation before.

XcOM
05-18-2007, 07:41 PM
dosconnect every device apart from the mobo and hdd's. see if your PSU has enough beans to run it all.

Greco101
05-18-2007, 10:15 PM
I dunno about spinning up, but check the jumpers in the back. I just put in a new hd today and couldn't figure out why the hell the computer wasn't reading it as a slave... then I realized I had the jumper in the wrong spot

NuKS
05-18-2007, 10:56 PM
I agree with XcOM.
I would first have nothing plugged into the mobo and try to boot up, it should still go through POST. It will fail because no harddrives are connected. then I would connect one harddrive at a time if you have multiple. If it boots up, then you should just plug in one at a time and see what is causing the fault. You should also do what Greco101 said, check your jumper settings. Another thing you might want to look at is the molex connector plugged into the harddrive. Maybe there's a loose connector? Hope this helps some.

Spawn-Inc
05-18-2007, 11:25 PM
it sounds stupid but double check everything is plugged in all the way and there are good connections.

Zephik
05-18-2007, 11:27 PM
What all are you running under the hood there CHIMERA? A 450w is usually enough power in most "cases". lol sorry, couldn't resist.

But that is a good idea none the less. Disconnect anything and everything you don't need and see what happens. Just to make sure as well, go ahead and disconnect everything you can first. Then when you reassemble it, only reassemble what you need to get your pc running.

scar~face
05-19-2007, 12:03 AM
if you have a spare psu, plus er in and make 100% sure that its not just a bad power supply

CHIMERA
05-19-2007, 09:45 AM
thanks guys. i shall have to try all of these solutions after i get out of work. +rep to all of you.

Wannabeamodder
05-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I would also check the front panel pin out wires to make sure you have them in the right place and not plugged in backward because you hear no post beep that could be the case speaker plugged up wrong also make sure your Ram is properly seated. After trying what all the other guys said take out one stick of ram at a time and try to boot you could have a bad stick.
If you are using IDE hdd make sure you have the cable oriented to pin 1.

Charles

XcOM
05-19-2007, 05:51 PM
i just had fun, ALL my raid cards died today, then the onboard bios wouldn;t detect all my CD's, after i got the raid cards to work again (Minus1) the bios wouldn't boot from cd so i could re-install windows (Was in process of upgrading all systems)

in end, i stripped every pc, pluged in one peice of hardware at a time, even did some cable management while i was at it.

PS, let us know the outcome of your tests getting HDD's to work, it might help someone else in the future.

CHIMERA
05-24-2007, 10:55 PM
i got it to work. i had to use the 24-pin and the 4-pin connectors off of the psu. i've never had a mobo with the 4-pin before. man, do i feel like an idiot.

Bucko
05-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Hahahaha
Heard the saying "RTFM"?
Glad it's working, but it is pretty funny.

Nagoshi
05-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Are your HDD working now?

Eclecticos
05-25-2007, 09:28 PM
If you are using IDE hdd make sure you have the cable oriented to pin 1

Easy way to remember is the Red wire on the Molex Power Connector, Should be on the same side as the red stripe on the IDE Cable.

Nagoshi
05-25-2007, 10:33 PM
most IDE ribbons are now keyed with a plastic piece not letting you to connect it wrongly, so it should be okay for that.

The Black Pumpkin
05-27-2007, 12:28 AM
i got it to work. i had to use the 24-pin and the 4-pin connectors off of the psu. i've never had a mobo with the 4-pin before. man, do i feel like an idiot.

Had the same kinda "duh" moment earlier. Ya really feel stupid after you do that kind of thing. :redface: