PDA

View Full Version : opening ports...

Nick_Black
05-20-2007, 08:19 PM
hey, just a question, for the game Gunz, and some other software you need to open some ports. I've opend the XP firewall ports, and also the ports on my linksys router, but still it gives all the signes of it bieng blocked.. can anyone help?

(my guess is that I forwarded to the wrong place... where should I be forwarding it too?)

SgtM
05-20-2007, 08:50 PM
When you open the ports in your router via port forwarding, make sure you forward them to the correct PC. For this, you'll need to use a static address on the PC. So, if your PC is 192.168.1.2, then you'll need to forward the port to that address. In this example, I forwarded port 3389 (for remote desktop) to my computer.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/port_forward.jpg

Nick_Black
05-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks, so I did do it right.. which make's me even more confused.. is it posible that the wireless card has a firewall of sorts on it?

SgtM
05-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Not on the card itself. Do you have windows defender? Any other software firewalls enabled (zonealarm, windows firewall)?. Try running the game windowed that way if a windows security alert comes up, you'll be able to see it and respond.

Nick_Black
05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
no other firewalls, I've tried in windowed format.. but no other popups of it bieng blocked...

Luke122
05-21-2007, 03:38 PM
If you have the correct IP, the right ports being opened, the right type (TCP or UDP.. try choosing both if that's an option) of traffic being allowed, no firewalls on the computer (including Norton Internet Security.. the worst.), then try to put your computer into the DMZ (an option on the router to allow completely unfiltered traffic into/out of your PC).

DMZ is dangerous to leave a computer in there unprotected, but if it still doesnt work from there, then something else is the issue.

What do you mean by "all the signs of it being blocked" ?

Nick_Black
05-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Hmm, I'll give that a shot.

and I meant that with any program that I had to open ports with it would alway's be blocked/weak, and if I scanned the ports they still would be blocked

thanks again lukifer :)

XcOM
05-21-2007, 04:11 PM
ensure you have a static IP, the linksys routers don't like opening ports for dynamic IP's

to see your current ip address in cmd type:

ipconfig /all

Outlaw
05-21-2007, 05:52 PM
What model linksys router do you use? I have the WRT54G, it's really easy. And did you try http://www.portforward.com (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/GunZ.htm)?? If you click the link it will take you to the page you need to open the port if you have the same router as me. Otherwise, go here (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm) and select your router, then find the game, and read it.

Did you make sure you checked the boxes to the right and click save at the bottom??

Nick_Black
05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
yes it's an static IP
yes I checked thrue ipconfig

I also use an WRT54G linksys (version 6) http://www.portforward.com is where I originally went. but no luck there, or any of the other site's i went to.. (this site is kinda my last resort..)

yes I checked the boxes and saved it :)

thanks for all the reply's so far :) any idea's?

I read somewhere that you have to diable the DHCP... do you think that could be a problem?

XcOM
05-21-2007, 07:24 PM
that can confuse the router, half the PC's on DCHP and half on static might be doing it, personally i like to set the IP's myself anyway, i think its better.

Outlaw
05-21-2007, 07:24 PM
It shouldn't be. I'm not sure what version mine is. Have to look when I get home. I didn't do anything with DHCP when I setup my cs server and I had to setup 3 different port ranges for it. Not that you want to leave it setup that way, but you can try a DMZ just to see if that works, if it still doesn't, I would say its something on the PC that is blocking you. Or you can unplug the router and go directly to the modem from that PC and bypass the router all together. I would say it sounds like your PC is blocking you. You are trying to run this off a wireless pc also? I just re-read it. If you are, you might not get that great of results when people connect and probably want to hardwire it to the network if possible. I would double check any anti-virus and software firewall you have running. The XP firewall "shouldn't" be an issue.

Good Luck

SgtM
05-21-2007, 08:27 PM
One other thing.. make sure whoever is trying to get in is using your WAN IP address. Go to www.whatismyip.com to find out what it is.

Outlaw
05-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Good point, that is usually my first question. Thats why we have everyone here. :)

Nick_Black
05-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Wow, thanks for all the reply's

but I'm starting to think that it's not the router DMZ didn't do the trick ither and I even completly closed the XP firewall and avast for good measures too..
I'm starting tothink it might be something obvius....

thanks for all the reply's so far, keep them comming :)

Outlaw
05-22-2007, 11:51 AM
If you open the Windows Firewall settings, you can manually select what you want to allow and disallow. Just in case you said block.

Nick_Black
05-22-2007, 02:35 PM
done that too...

Outlaw
05-22-2007, 02:43 PM
ok....lol, what about trying to run it from a different computer? Or bypassing the router?

Luke122
05-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Didnt try bypassing the router yet that I know of, but he was able to tracert successfully right to the IP of the server.

I also had Nick disable his firewall, AV software, etc.. no change. Nick, can you post a screenshot of the error message (or just the error message that you are getting) ?

Also, as per Outlaws suggestion.. can you try from another computer?

Outlaw
05-22-2007, 04:03 PM
On the subject of screenshots, for grins and giggles(lol) can you take on of the config. of your router with that port open?

Nick_Black
05-23-2007, 08:04 AM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8141/gunzav3.png

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2866/linksysat8.png

Outlaw
05-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Dang.....I can't see them from work.

Nagoshi
05-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Open the Network Connections panel from the Control panel. Right click on "Internet Connection", it should be a planet with a computer screen, then go on Properties. Click on Settings, after the short "Please Wait" there's gonna be all the ports that are really unlocked in Windows. Create a new one, set your port and IP (Static IP, of course. You can find it of you have other ports unlocked in this screen; just double-click on a port name and copy/paste the IP). Give it a name, and choose if it's UDP or TCP, then OK, OK and finally OK. :)

Be sure any Windows Firewalls are deactivated, on the LAN and on the internet connection too. You should need to have your ports properly configured on your router, too. And if you want to be even more sure, open the ports under the Local Area Network connection.

Thats how I managed to host games on Warcraft 3... altho I don't have a router (yet, cause im gonna have one this week-end... lol, new laptop is coming :))

If you need help, I can get screenshots, but Im kinda stuck in time this morning, so Ill post them later if you need them.