PDA

View Full Version : What Realistic Upgrades Do You Plan To Make?

TheGreatSatan
05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I was just thing that in a couple years when Quad core is common, I will do a total upgrade of R2-D2. I'm thinking something like:

Quad Core Proc (probably Intel)
4GB Ram (R2-D2 is capable of that right now, but the games I play don't justify it)
At least 300GB HD (I actually will never be able to use that much)
Whatever the BEST series video card is...

etc, etc. What about you?

Luke122
05-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Dont say you'll never fill it.. because you will!

Me, 1994: 220mb hdd? I'll never fill that!

Me, 1995: 1gb Hdd? I'll NEVER fill that!

Me, yesterday: Only 300gb? I'll have to add to that..

:D

Realistic upgrades? I honestly dont know.. I'm waiting for the 6600 and 6800 to come down in price, then I'll upgrade Karma again.. the D820 is *nice*, but knowing that I could have so much more... it's tempting.

I'm already noticing a big shift in my priorities though.. it's not about having the fastest or biggest anymore... it's now about having the quietest, the most reliable, and the most convenient.

I'm thinking of requesting a really small laptop for next years budget.. like one of those 1lb wonders.. with the 12" screen. That's all I'd need really.. as long as its powerful enough to run my apps.. I can attach a big monitor when it's on the desk.

As for gaming, I think the current market trend of going bigger and faster is going to have to change; think of the muscle cars of the 70's. Big and powerful, fuel economy be damned. Faster is good, but if the video card draws more than the whole rest of the PC, something doesnt quite add up (IMHO). Has anyone here actually tried to figure out how much their PC costs them to run (in electricity bills)? I know I've been thinking about it lately, and I'm sure others have too.

I know there will always be a market for the "bleeding edge" consumer equipment, but I no longer feel the need to be there... I'll ride one generation behind, and spend much less. I'd rather have something cool looking and functional.. and some cash left over; I'm willing to sacrifice a few FPS. :D

danthegeek
05-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I think Im going to see how AM3 does. Id like to upgrade my 939 system but I think I can wait. I just want to see how well the K10 and DDR3 works out before I make anymore moves.

slytherock
05-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Most of my computers are not latest ones. My main rig is still a 2.6 Northwood (OC to 3.2) with 2Gb of ram, then I have AMD 64 3800 with 1GB of Ram and a couple of P3. They still fit my needs. I'm not gaming very much, even if movie editing need a certain speed, the Northwood is still fine. So I'd say; maybe a laptop for now (planed in 3 months) and a real new system next year... and move all my comps (the main turn into the home theater, the home theater into the kitchen comp...)

NuKS
05-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Me? First upgrade, new monitor. I'd like to have a flat screet lcd since they are smaller and lighter. RIght now I have a 19" CRT.
Other than that, I'm really wanting to build a nice gaming rig, since I've never had one that was really cutting edge. Always middle of the market. Right now my rig is an amd athlon xp 1 gig processor with 1gig of ram, geforce 4 fx5600 agp with 256 mb ram, memorex dvd burner, 1 80 gb hdd and 1 40gb hdd.
We are a single income family and we have a 1 year old son, so having a really nice computer really isn't at the top of our list.
Well enough of that...
I will be building 2 computers over the next few years, though. One for me and one for my wife. Mine will be geared more towards gaming, so will have SLI and some of the other goodies. No watercooling and no 1kw powersupply for me! My wife does a lot with videos and pictures, so I'll build her one that is geared towards video rendering and such. She also plays CS and CSS so hers will have to be pretty decent too.
Before I build either one, though, I will build our cases. Yesterday I picked up a free case from a friend, and I have the plans drawn out on how I'll be building it. Hopefully pics will be up tomorrow. I still have to get a case for hers, but that will come in time.
OK I'm writing a lot. But like I said, new monitor is going to be my next upgrade. 19" widescreen. I have my eyes on a haans g on newegg right now...

TheGreatSatan
05-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Dont say you'll never fill it.. because you will!

Not true. I have an emachine that I bought 6 years ago with a 40GB HD, 31GB of which I'm using. My R2D2 has 120GB, I'm using only 13GB of that. I cannot possibly imagine how I'll ever use the 320GB in my New Lexa either

Spawn-Inc
05-23-2007, 08:17 PM
this isn't so much of an upgrade but a new computer of my own.

asus striker extreme
asus 8800GTX
C2D E6600
Enermax uber chakra - got it
Enermax galaxy 850watt
OCZ DDR2 1066 Reaper Heat-pipe HS 2gb
Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20" Black Widescreen LCD
Seagate barracuda 7200.10 250gb - i have 1 right now and i might get another soon
Logitech mx revolution - got it
G15 - got it

as for this whole more space than you need i thought the 250gb hdd would be plently and so far it is but i only have 80gbs left

its mostly filled with pron, and games all of which i would normally leave uninstalled but since i have the room why not.

Zephik
05-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Not true. I have an emachine that I bought 6 years ago with a 40GB HD, 31GB of which I'm using. My R2D2 has 120GB, I'm using only 13GB of that. I cannot possibly imagine how I'll ever use the 320GB in my New Lexa either

Yep, it all depends on what you use a pc for. Myself, I have a 320GB and a 200GB external and they are both reaching their capacity limits. But I put every movie I can get my hands on onto my pc. Where as my dad, who has a 40GB hard drive is only using about 12GB of that 40GB. He uses it for email and the internet, not much else.

As for realistic upgrades for myself in the future?

My very first custom built case! yay!

New motherboard... built from scratch by using the blood, sweat and tears of gnomes. ...okay, I made that last part up, but I am getting a new motherboard. lol

Hmm... well thats about it for now. I might try and get a graphics card sooner or later, but I don't really need one right now.

xRyokenx
05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
I"d prolly upgrade my RAM and get a SATA HDD... and maybe a new vid card, but we'll see, I may just end up building a whole new system and using this as a spare or give (sell) it to a family member or something.

Indybird
05-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Im planning on getting a 8800GTS sometimes soon, maybe actually start my Porsche Mod case to replace my beat-to-hell NZXT LEXA.
I also really have to get a new CPU Heatsink, cause mine is not good for OC'ing.

Thats about all, very reasonable (once I get a steady job this summer)

-Indybird

b4i7
05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
id like to finish purchasing my WC setup then finally switch it all out

after that? who knows...may build a new system

.Maleficus.
05-26-2007, 06:20 PM
I just ordered an eVGA 680i SLI board. Next upgrades...

1. New video card(s).
2. New monitor.
3. Watercooling.
4. More RAM.

In that order.

tybrenis
05-26-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm building a totally custom watercooled peltier system. I have everything but the peltier so far.

Drum Thumper
05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Bigger PSU units for all 3 machines. This is one area I neglected when I built Blue, as I was a bit of a novice (first true build and all). I then kept getting BSOD'd with all the lights on. Turned the lights off, and the BSOD's went away. What a coinky-dink!1

Lightscribe DVD for Blue, along with some DVD editing software (got plans to make a custom DVD from the wedding and send it to those who would like a copy)

Another gig of RAM for Blue as well.

And maybe a new case for the Mrs.'s machine. Or maybe just a nice window in her current case.

And I'm gonna finish up the 3 mods that I got going as well.

Bucko
05-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Yesterday the first half of the upgrade was bought.
E6600 Core 2 Duo, 8800GTS and a Gigabyte 965-DS3 MoBo.

Next I'll get some RAM (2 gig, maybe 4 if I have the cash), a new PSU and a copy of Win XP plus a HDD or two.

Airbozo
05-31-2007, 06:43 PM
My _upgrade_ for this year was my dual 22" wide screen monitor's.

I am however in the process of purchasing parts for a new system (My Bubble Gum Machine Mod).

Waiting for the following (actually the first 2 are sitting under my desk at work I just need to pay for them);
Striker Extreme
2x nVidia 7950 gtx's
4 gb memory (not sure who/what/where yet)

Already have;
4x 250 gbg sata drive
Pentium D 950 3.4ghz (will upgrade to c2d later)
DVD R/W
650w power supply (forgot the brand)

Omega
06-01-2007, 01:32 AM
I need a new, better microphone. Something so I can record higher-quality audio. Maybe I'll build a little studio in my Garage for Audio recording. That'd own.

Zephik
06-01-2007, 04:01 AM
Change of plans for me, for now at least.

I'm gonna focus the rest of my spendings on my laptop and then spend even more on a certain girl. ;)

Everyone keeps telling me to never give a girl my bank account information... lol I wonder why?

GT40_GearHead
06-01-2007, 03:45 PM
i see i'm a bit old around here,

i still have the 2.4ghz P4 and 512mb RAM LOL :D
i did get a new vid card, and XFX 6200, nice and quiet no fan just a nice and big heat sink

i can see a pattern by the way, in the past i used to want to oveclock more even if it would blow up and need to RMA it , have the best cfm in the fans even if sounded like a 747 on take off and so on , now it has to be reliable and quiet, reliable and quiet those are the KEY WORDS !

so i guess i'm probably gonna another 521 of RAM and a more powerful P4 CPU, no way i'm swapping the MOBO this one is just fine (an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe) and later on maybe a new vid card if i can find an AGP one if not, no big deal

the original machine did fine for almost 4 years before the vid card died, so with the RAM and CPU it should be good for another 2 or 3 years

hurts
06-17-2007, 07:35 AM
don't know probly will go for more space, and another gig of ram... right now i have 2 maxtors, 1x500 alsmot full, 1x200(full), mostly i do video/music edditing....

dfi infinity ultra-m2 am2 (mobo)
AMD 64 x2 +4200
saphire x1600pro
1g G-skill ram 667 ddr2

Exley
06-18-2007, 05:24 PM
upgrading my P4 to a core 2 duo sometime in the near future which means ill be getting a new motherboard as well

AJ@PR
06-20-2007, 02:46 PM
PS: Whats up guys :)

Messenger is on-its-way up!

PS: +rep for coming back

peoplefire
06-20-2007, 04:29 PM
watercool and 3 gigs of ram. no more no less

$loth
06-28-2007, 07:10 AM
When I get my new job (starts monday) -

E2140
2GB Geil low latency 6400
8600GT (gigabyte silentpipe)
Gigabyte Gigabyte GA P35C DS3R
Noctua HSF
Zalman Heatpipe cooled PSU
2*80gb spinpoints (raid) keeping my 250gb WD HD.

Going inside a modded chieftec dragon.

The Black Pumpkin
06-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Barcelona (AMD quadcore) and an AM2+ mobo, when they come out.