PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Ironcat
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I had an idea come to me today and then I had to sit back and wonder whether it would work or not.

I don't care if it's safe, or practical, or stupid... just whether or not it will work, I will worry about the stupidity of my practicality later...

I am building this PC from old scraps I have in the garage, lots of it is from old computers I cannibalized and I don't know if it ever worked, much less whether or not it does now. While I am figuring out how everything is going to fit inside the case, would it be possible to just leave everything laying in separate piles on the counter, but have it all connected and run the sytem.

Like plug in my psu, wire it to the mobo and drives, hook in some ide cables and whatnot, plug in a HD or two, and power it up? Will this fry everything?

Bucko
05-23-2007, 08:52 PM
It will fire up and work fine. Just make sure the motherboard is sitting on something that isn't conductive so you don't short it out.

Spawn-Inc
05-23-2007, 09:51 PM
yes i see no problems with that just do what bucko said and have the mobo on a box or something.

agnat
05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Ground is passed through to all modules from the psu though the various connectors - and as said above just ensure no circuit boards are in contact with anything that can short them out. All should be fine.

XcOM
05-24-2007, 06:38 PM
i do it all the time, its fine to do so aslong as nothing is touching anything conductive.

si-skyline
05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
one of my computers is sitting on a removable mobo tray untill i start work on the case for it.. been running 2 weeks 24/7 no problems

lol make sure nothing will drop on it or some one else isent silly enuf to stick a fingure somewere

Outlaw
05-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Watch out for liquids. Those electrical parts usually don't like it :)

si-skyline
05-24-2007, 07:00 PM

gosh the last thing on my mind, j.k

i have mine tucked away under my desk.. but my knees sometimes hit the cd drive and hd :(
the first thing i had in mind was my sister, she likes to snoop and under a desk seemed best at the time.

but yeah any wide open space away from other things is good

B1Gtime
05-24-2007, 07:00 PM

I remember someone on the forum almost spilled his iced tea on his computer, but it was only a few splashes if i remember.

b4i7
05-24-2007, 07:14 PM

thats why robots dont go swimming

as everyone else said...it is safe!

si-skyline
05-24-2007, 07:19 PM
of course they do.. it seems someone hasent seen the robo events.. they have some what swim and submarines..

lol just wanted to be sad and mention it

XcOM
05-24-2007, 07:28 PM
under 12volt and a certian current you can run electric devices underwater, its not the electric devices that break when they get wet, its normally other parts that fail, it Transister gates (CPU's PIMS"

.Maleficus.
05-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Yep, I do it all the time too. Hook everything up normally, take a flat head screwdriver, and short the power switch pins. Presto, you are alive. Take that same screwdriver, and short the pins for 4 seconds to shut down (unless you have installed an OS, in which case there's no need for that).