PDA

View Full Version : uni question?

Elenril
05-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Apparently it's time for me to start thinking about which uni I want to go to... I'm aiming for a course in visual communication (design, graphics, multimedia etc).

Do you guys know of any good unis in England, near Nottingham?

Or any good unis for that sort of thing anywhere in the world?

Or should I just stay in Sydney and go to good old UTS?

simon275
05-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Personally I say it isn't worth the hassle of going overseas and you should just go to the good old UTS. I am there at the moment studying IT. Its a great university less highly strung the UNSW or Sydney and the course have more industry experience. Also UTS has a great social life as well other activities.

As if you go to uts you can stay at home which means free food and board and you just commute to the city. While if you go overseas you have to pay for board, food and you will have to get a job to support yourself while studying. Also if you stay in Australia you can just get hex really easily. Rather then messing around with overseas equivalents. which is harder to do since you are a foreign citizen.

Elenril
05-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Personally I say it isn't worth the hassle of going overseas and you should just go to the good old UTS. I am there at the moment studying IT. Its a great university less highly strung the UNSW or Sydney and the course have more industry experience. Also UTS has a great social life as well other activities.

As if you go to uts you can stay at home which means free food and board and you just commute to the city. While if you go overseas you have to pay for board, food and you will have to get a job to support yourself while studying. Also if you stay in Australia you can just get hex really easily. Rather then messing around with overseas equivalents. which is harder to do since you are a foreign citizen.

Actually, I was considering england because I have a British passport, and my parents have lived there for more than 3 years, so I am qualified as a British citizen, and my aunt said that I could live with her, which is why I was looking for unis near Nottingham. Sydney just seems terribly dull and boring, and I thought it'd be a nice change to go to England.

What exactly is hex? I've heard it mentioned but I can never seem to be able to find out what it is.

simon275
05-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Hecs is the government scheme where the government pays for your education and when you starting working and get a decent income you start paying it off. A soft loan basically. I didn't make my mind up about what I wanted to do right up until the date when you submit your preferences. Since you are in year 11 that is a long way off keep your mind open don't decide until you are in year 12 and you are sure. The school will say oh you have to choose now and it is so important blah blah blah! they are just being over controlling.

Sydney just seems terribly dull and boring, and I thought it'd be a nice change to go to England.

Lol you can't be serious in summer there are no good beaches like the ones we have here. It gets cold in the winter while here it is mild. It rains alot. Why would want to leave Sydney? Sydney has so much to do. Just wait till next year when you turn 18 Sydney becomes a lot more fun then. You would have to pay me to move to england.

Bucko
05-25-2007, 12:40 AM
It's not hex, it's HECS. Higher Education Contribution Scheme I believe it stands for.

HECS Linky (http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/PayingForYourStudiesHELPLoans/HECSHELP.htm)