View Full Version : Windows Xp wont load with second harddrive

vermillion_part2
05-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Running a 2.66 celeron d processor
1Gb DDR 400 ram
1 maxtor 80Gb Harddrive (Master)
1 WD 60GB HDD (slave)
Windows Xp pro SP2

So i setup the computer again after gettin it back from my grandfathers house and it worked. Then i plug in the the WD drive and the computer looks like it is about to load up then gets to the splash screen and hangs. So i check the WD and it had no jumper selection went to the shop got some of them shunt things and put it on cable select because it is set as slave on the ide cable still dosent work. When i unplug the WD it works fine computer loads no problem. It also hangs when i have my external drive turned on during loadup.

Any suggestions and thanks in advance.
Vermillion.

NuKS
05-27-2007, 08:04 AM
How big is your power supply? Since you have the same problem when you plug an external in or if you plug in your second harddrive, it might be trying to draw too much power. It sounds like it's hanging when the computer is trying to spin up the other drives.

vermillion_part2
05-27-2007, 08:26 AM
power supply is 400 watt

i dont know if i am drawing to much power i have two fans a dvd burner and the two hdd at the moment. it might be power. any other suggestions are welcome incase it isnt power.

Thanks,
Vermillion

slytherock
05-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Have you check your booting priority in your Bios?

Eclecticos
05-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Well if it works fine without the WD connected why not leave it disconnected?

Remove it from your boot device list. See if it starts up, I bet it will.
Try it out on another computer if it does the same thing. .RMA it.

r0adawg
05-27-2007, 06:28 PM
if your using jumpers, make sure that they fit snug. and not loose.
another option would be to try it on another bus altogether, like swap your dvd for your WD hard drive...

XcOM
05-28-2007, 06:14 PM
The other option is to change it from cable select to slave, check that your master is on c/s if your slave is on c/s. xp can be funny like that.

progbuddy
05-30-2007, 08:31 PM
the problem might be with the windows bootloader. If it's installed on one harddrive, then you must have the second one in a certain position to load it. I believe it's cable select, not sure. I've had this problem with a fileserver I'm trying to build.

Eclecticos
05-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Did you check to make sure you have your ribbon cables in the right place?