PDA

View Full Version : Vista or XP

mercerman318
05-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Ok, i'm getting a free full version of Vista Ultimate, but im not sure if i want to install it over XP. I really want vista when the DX 10 games start coming out at the end of the summer, but i would really perfer to keep XP for everything else. Is there any way that i can install both, or any thoughts on what i should do? Thanks.

.Maleficus.
05-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Why not just install it when the games come out? Keep XP until then, and install Vista when you absolutely need it.

SgtM
05-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Do you have a spare HDD? Throw it in as a slave, install Vista, and dual boot. That's what I did.

r0adawg
05-27-2007, 07:45 PM
you could look into a dual boot option.

google "xp vista dual boot"

Cool1Net6
05-28-2007, 12:10 AM
When I got my copy of Vista, I didn't want to remove my fully customized XP either, so what I did was dual booted. I partitioned my main drive accordingly, and installed Vista to the second partition. It automatically created a boot loader and in about an hour I had a fully functional install of Vista. The install was relatively pain-free.

One thing is that Vista will set itself as the primary OS to boot, but that is easy to change. Its lost somewhere in the 15,000 new Control Panel options.

-Cool-

moon111
05-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I have a harddrive selector switch from Indus. Nice unit. Now all I need is to replace my 2nd harddrive that @#$%'d out.
http://www.industechnologies.com/

mercerman318
05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, i think i'm going to go with Cool1Net6's idea, and do a dual boot, and just partition my hard drive. If i do this though is there any programs i need or can i do as im installing vista

Luke122
05-29-2007, 11:25 AM
You can do it as you are running the install. :D

Nagoshi
05-30-2007, 07:14 AM
When I got my copy of Vista, I didn't want to remove my fully customized XP either, so what I did was dual booted. I partitioned my main drive accordingly, and installed Vista to the second partition. It automatically created a boot loader and in about an hour I had a fully functional install of Vista. The install was relatively pain-free.

One thing is that Vista will set itself as the primary OS to boot, but that is easy to change. Its lost somewhere in the 15,000 new Control Panel options.

-Cool-

Then why don't you change it in the 20-options control panel from XP? :) I dont remember exacly where the multi-boot panel is in Windows. but you only have to change a number if I remember.

And if you wanna go for it manually, it's something like boot.ini which should be located in C:. There should be 2 "Windows" entries, use your logic and change it accordingly to your priorities :)

XcOM
05-30-2007, 02:56 PM
vista dosen't work like that anymore,
Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options

Cool1Net6
05-31-2007, 02:13 AM
Then why don't you change it in the 20-options control panel from XP? :) I dont remember exacly where the multi-boot panel is in Windows. but you only have to change a number if I remember.
Start > Right-Click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Start-up & Recovery > Settings. Its a similar process to get to it in Vista, but they just changed the name and location of things. I already did this.

vista doesn't work like that anymore,
Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options
For some reason I can't get this to work for me. I wanted to change "Earlier versions of Windows" to "Windows XP" but I cant get BCDEDIT.exe to work for me.

-Cool-

XcOM
05-31-2007, 06:54 AM
this program will do it:
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
and its free. im good friends with the author, and i can vouch, it works a charm.

Cool1Net6
06-01-2007, 09:20 PM
this program will do it:
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
and its free. im good friends with the author, and i can vouch, it works a charm.
Thanks for that. It does work like a charm.

-Cool-