PDA

View Full Version : Enemy Territory: Quake Wars?

MisterChief
07-07-2005, 08:39 PM
[Original post edited out of existence due to extreme idiocy and lack of prior knowledge of a certain developer who seems to suck big ones:D]

The_Wippuh
08-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Splooge Damage is horrible. I will never play another game from them after seeing the crap they churned out for d3 mp and ET.

MisterChief
08-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Splooge Damage is horrible. I will never play another game from them after seeing the crap they churned out for d3 mp and ET.

Really? I didn't know they actually had a history. I dunno, I saw the trailer on G4 Cinematech, and it looked sweet. I mean the textures were amazingly crisp, and the bump/normal mapping looked great. As for gameplay, I didn't see much of it, so I don't know what to expect. But apparently, it's built off the Quake 4/Doom 3 engine, so that means Quake 4 should look pretty awsome.

Dante
08-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Looks are one thing and Gameplay is another, with gameplay being the most important. I think we all learned a great lesson with Doom 3...it looked great, and it played horrible. Being a competitive gamer I am more apt to buy into gameplay than I am pretty graphics.

Splash Damage made ET and ET blows so I don't have much faith in their abilities.

MisterChief
08-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Looks are one thing and Gameplay is another, with gameplay being the most important. I think we all learned a great lesson with Doom 3...it looked great, and it played horrible. Being a competitive gamer I am more apt to buy into gameplay than I am pretty graphics.

Splash Damage made ET and ET blows so I don't have much faith in their abilities.

I see. I agree that gameplay is always most important, but it would always be nice to have a mix of great gameplay and graphips every once in a while :D. Well, I've never played anything from Splash Damage, so I don't know what to expect. And hey, sometimes good developers go sour, or vice versa. Take Halo 2 for example. Bungie made history with Halo, but the sequel was lacking in many, many aspects. Maybe Raven and id will have a tighter grip on this game.

And sorry to say, but I'm a Doom 3 fanboy :p.

The_Wippuh
08-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I think the best way to get the gameplay feel of SD across to someone who hasn't played their stuff is like this...

Take your favorite game. Now remember the n00biest mod out there and the n00biest server of that mod. SD took the mentality of that server and created a game out of it. They take incredibly great ideas and pubstar them out in the worst way.

The ET crowd has been modding the game since the day it came out and they're only now, over two years later, getting close to a game that can be accepted into LAN competition (Qcon). Even with that, the Qcon tourney is falling apart. I lay a lot of that blame on the map design and structure of the game.

Design for competition and you will automatically create an incredible pub experience.
Design for pubs and you will not automatically create an incredible compeitive experience.

SD does the later and fails horribly at it.