PDA

View Full Version : BSoD issues

andymushu
05-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I recently transferred my computer from the tiny dell case it came in into a slightly bigger atx-mid generic case. During the process, i had to take the heatsink off of my processor because of the motherboard design. Everything worked fine for about an hour, then i got the blue screen of death. It usually happens when i am not even using the computer. I just come back to it and the bsod is on it and i have to restart.

I am pretty sure it is an overheating issue, so my real question is this: Is there any way to cool my processor without buying a new heatsink and thermal paste? If not, any suggestions for good heatsinks? I was thinking about the ZALMAN CNPS9500 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223), but for right now it is a tad expensive.

Eclecticos
05-28-2007, 02:04 PM
So you turned it on without any heatsink on it at all? :eek:

Not good. Hopefully you haven't ruined your processor.

NuKS
05-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Any time you remove your heatsink from the cpu you should clean both sides and put on new thermal compound. I seriously think this is where your problem is. You can use alcohol to clean the two, but I would suggest buying the real deal. The $10-15 you spend now is a lot cheaper than a new cpu.
**edit**
I just reread your post, and like what Eclecticos said, you may have seriously ruined your cpu if you don't have the heatsink ontop of the cpu. I really hope everything is ok with it.

andymushu
05-28-2007, 03:17 PM
no i put the heatsink back on before i powered up. sorry for the vagueness on that.

Zephik
05-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Run your computer for awhile and then lightly touch your heatsink. If it is flaming hot then thats definitely your problem. Otherwise, you can always try taking everything apart and then putting it back together.

When I took my pc apart and then reassembled it into another case it was doing close to the same thing. It wouldn't BSoD on me, but everything would turn off somewhat randomly. What I did is I took everything part, then I took off the heatsink, wiped off all of the thermal paste and then reapplied fresh thermal paste (Arctic Silver (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007)) and then of course put everything back together.

After that, it seemed to work just fine. till I shorted it out lol. If a motherboard doesn't fit inside of a case... don't force it or think of stupid ways that will make it work. It pays to think things out thoroughly ;)

**BTW, this was all while using a TT Blue Orb II. It never had any overheating troubles with my P4 2.8, but I think what was causing me problems was using the old thermal paste and that the HSF was slightly ajar or possibly not tightened down correctly.

.Maleficus.
05-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Yep, whenever you remove your heatsink, it's a good idea to clean off all of the thermal compound, and re-apply it fresh and nice. Make sure the connections are secure (heatsink and CPU). Use good compound. You may want to invest in a new cooler, but it's not necessary. Buy some new compound, remove it again, clean it all with alcohol or the specially made cleaner, and put it back on. Temps. won't be desirable for a while, usually 250 hrs. full load is when it's at full transfer capabilities.

andymushu
05-28-2007, 05:41 PM
ya i tried running it for like two hours and i touched that heatsink and my finger still hurts. so my problem is the paste is what i am hearing. i was planning on getting some OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1283739). is this a good choice? i was thinking either this or some arctic silver 5.

Zephik
05-28-2007, 06:02 PM
I would go with the Arctic Silver that I listed/linked in my previous post. I have never really heard of ocz, well I've heard plenty of ocz, but not of its thermal grease. But the one I listed is well known and well trusted. You can read the comments and awards it has received on newegg to back that up. ^_^

Btw, there is enough in the Arctic Silver tube to cover your CPU at least three times. lol I thought there was only going to be JUST enough, but thats not the case.

andymushu
05-28-2007, 07:32 PM
k thanks snow for the advice. i guess i will be ordering some as5 (hopefully...) pretty soon.