PDA

View Full Version : Is there a program to control a network?

.jrauck
05-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Is there any program that anyone knows of that allows you to control a network such as setting how much packets and such you can use and how many a guest can use?

Also where could I find a program that basically changes your ip address? I have this program called Tor but it is very confusing I cant figure out how to configure it.

r0adawg
05-31-2007, 03:45 AM
don't know if your into linux, but if you use a linux box as a router,( having all of your data flow through a linux computer) you should be able to limit the amount of data that is sent to any one computer/network device. as well as impose any other limits day and time of use, what protocols are allowed to be used... and so on...

hope this help....

.Maleficus.
05-31-2007, 06:39 AM
I don't know anything about limiting transfer, but I do know about Tor.

Once you have it installed, on the lower right corner of Firefox you'll see "Tor Enabled" or "Tor Disabled". Click it to enable or disable. Once it is enabled, the data is sent through a random path of Tor servers with unique IPs. The connection is encrypted. Once through the servers, it is sent to your computer. I don't think Tor actually changes your IP, it just sends it through a random path of encrypted servers.

Check out this. (http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Network_and_Internet/Misc__Networking_Tools/IP_Changer.html)

Airbozo
05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Not too up on the network stuff (one of my major weaknesses), but I know with a switch, you can set metrics for each port (on the high end switches anyway). What the metrics do is set priorities for each port. If port "A" is set to metric "1" and port "B" is set to metric "2", traffic on port "A" will have priority and the switch will make sure the traffic on port "A" get taken care of _first_. I know with some Cisco switches you can also set bandwidth restrictions as well (port "X" is only allowed to use 10% of total bandwidth, etc...). I know this is NOT limited to Cisco switches though.

Luke122
05-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Some home routers will allow you to set bandwidth and usage restrictions based on the mac address of the computers. I'll look into this further for you.

.jrauck
05-31-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't know anything about limiting transfer, but I do know about Tor.

Once you have it installed, on the lower right corner of Firefox you'll see "Tor Enabled" or "Tor Disabled". Click it to enable or disable. Once it is enabled, the data is sent through a random path of Tor servers with unique IPs. The connection is encrypted. Once through the servers, it is sent to your computer. I don't think Tor actually changes your IP, it just sends it through a random path of encrypted servers.

Check out this. (http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Network_and_Internet/Misc__Networking_Tools/IP_Changer.html)
Its not showing up on my firefox for some reason. Any ideas?