PDA

View Full Version : Vista tips?

Nagoshi
05-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Aight, so Ill be getting my new laptop probably tomorrow (woot!), it's coming with Vista Home Premium (Id have liked XP, but meh, we'll do with it), and Ive heard alot about Vista issues and annoying messages and alerts on these forums, so I thought we could reunite most of them here and maybe turn it into a sticky, since it can be useful to anyone.

Ill try to get some tips myself and post them there, meanwhile it would be interesting to see how many things we can "change" to this over-securized OS.

XcOM
06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
to diable the stupid warning about everything type in your RUN box

cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

UAC will be disabled after restart.

onelegout
06-04-2007, 06:00 PM
to diable the stupid warning about everything type in your RUN box

cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

UAC will be disabled after restart.

why don't you just disable it by choosing to in Control Panel? :S

XcOM
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
where that? i didn't see it?

Ahh, i found it, in user control, either way works.

onelegout
06-05-2007, 12:35 PM
where that? i didn't see it?

Ahh, i found it, in user control, either way works.

yeah I just ran a search for it :D
It might be best though for less experienced people to disable it through control panel rather than changing registry values - It's more idiotproof :D
H

XcOM
06-05-2007, 12:43 PM
true, but i belive that the control panel does the same thing, do either one that takes your fancy.

Good find either way, i don't like using user control, set the user in setup, done, never touch it again.

Moofaa
06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Does vista have the billions (exaggeration) of annoying tooltips that pop up every 30 seconds?

XcOM
06-12-2007, 10:56 AM
not really, it does have UAC though (User Access Control) which basicly means that nothing can run without you knowing first, this even covers copying files! seriously it does.

Exley
06-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Does vista have the billions (exaggeration) of annoying tooltips that pop up every 30 seconds?

With UAC turned off its no more annoying then XP.

I think if you don't set yourself up to hate vista you'll quite like it. i miss it now when im on my laptop(winXP)

As for a tip, if you find a stubborn program that doesn’t want to run in vista try running it in XP SP2 compatibility mode

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6995/runinlm5.jpg

Also, the new search bar in the start menu is your friend

XcOM
06-12-2007, 02:42 PM
i agree with above, if you set your self upto hate it, you WILL hate it

But if you just try it, you will like it.

Killa_Ape
06-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Also if you are having problems running programs or trying to play games (usually online) you'll have to right click on the shortcut go to properties click on the compatibility tab and check the "run as administrator" box (You can see it in previous posted picture). I've had to do this mostly for games but there was 1 program (which I forget of course) that I had to do it to as well.

Phantom_Ghost
06-21-2007, 09:43 AM
I would agree with you on the if you set yourself up to hate it idea. I got the Ultimate edition because Microsoft is going to stop system builder support for XP really soon. I got it to play around and learn before I was forced to switch. I was a tester in beta and the amount of bugs is down from when I first used it to release. Is it perfect no, but it is very nice to look at. The dreamscenes are a nice touch.

UAC is annoying to me, I turned mine off. While it's a great idea to stop people from accidently deleting any important files, most of us here are more 'advanced' users.

Only downside is the lack of driver support. I own a Razer AC-1, still no drivers for it. Heck I'm on Razers beta tester team and I don't even have a beta driver. How's that?

Who knows, from what I've been reading the first service pack is coming out early. Only time will tell.

Moofaa
06-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh, I wasnt hating on Vista. I have yet to even use it yet (still saving for a new rig). However I cant stand XP's constant annoying tooltip popups, especially the ones out of the system tray. I dont need to know my virus definitions are out of date, or if im connecting to a wireless network, or any other number of things.

The only useful one is the battery warning on my laptop.

Its actually third-party stuff (like anti-virus) more then XP itself that has continuous pop-ups. I disable as much as I can, but many programs dont give you the option. Would be nice if Vista had a method of "block all tool-tips from this program" option.

Nagoshi
06-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Something I really like from Vista, is that you can control your programs volume direcly from the Mixer. Lets say there a software running but you can't shut it's own volume, you go in the Mixer and lower it right there, while keeping all the other softwares at a nominal settings.

But I don't like the lack of multi-channel audio, and it takes AGES to start, Ill have to dual-boot with XP some day in the hope to see a performance increase in my games.

IVe got a "gaming system" but Im almost sad about the results, here it is:
Asus G1
T7200 (2GHz, 4Mb Cache, DualCore)
2Gb RAM (bottleneck, as Vista tells me with his stupid overall computer score)
GeForce Go 7700 512Mb (bottleneck, as Ive heard on many forums)
160Gb HD

And Battlefield 2 at 1680x1050 resolution, only playable at Medium video settings for heavy loaded maps, and High for singleplayer/16 player maps. Deceiving for such a system.

And the UAC is really something boring, shutted it down and everything's okay now. ^^

Scorchio
06-27-2007, 01:05 PM
There was an article on Tom's Hardware about a problem with Vista, Raptors and Nvidia G80's. Quiet a detailed analysis and there is a temporary hack to limit the problem on there too.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/06/25/wd-raptor-nvidia-g80-dont-play-nice-with-vista/index.html

Looks like I'm gonna have problems when I upgrade next week. I also heard of a problem with deleting large files (talking about a couple of gig's worth) where it was taking over an hour to delete them. Anyone had that problem at all?

Killa_Ape
06-27-2007, 09:00 PM
I've deleted massive 2-3 gig files and it didn't take a hour (probably a couple mins at most), but the estimated time it takes on the box said like 3 hours then would correct itself when there was 15 seconds left, but almost all other versions of windows did this so I'm not really surprised. Biggest problem I've had with vista is drivers for motherboard and video card (not an issue now but when it first came out it was) but otherwise it runs well now.

Scorchio
06-28-2007, 03:24 AM
Thx Killa. I was a little worried about that problem ever since I read about it on The Register. Maybe it was sorted in a patch.

Still a bit concerned about the Vista, Raptor and nVidia 8800/8600 problem though. I will be getting an 8800 soon and I have a Raptor as my main drive already. I would like to give Vista a go but the last thing I want is for my system to be unreliable. Has anyone else got this setup and had problems with it?

Thx in advance :)

LiTHiUM0XiD3
07-21-2007, 05:51 AM
best vista tip ever: avoid it like the plague dont be another fool who digs the eye candy... vista is a bug riddin peice of crap OS thats been patched together by a room full of drunken monkeys... heh u ever hear about the issues with its voice command? if somebody could auto exec a mp3 with voice commands on it... it can disable things like ur firewall and ya AV...i tried vista with an open mind.... and saw it for what it was.... crap.... too many driver issues...complete resource whore... and basicaly... a waste of time...get a theme pack... install it on a copy of XP MCE 2005 and u have vista...

Crazy Buddhist
08-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Well now you have me wondering. Was about to set up dual boot with Vista Business to replace my Windows 2000 Install (what I love to bits but what got broke on Monday and needs all drivers reinstalling).

Replacing a well known friend with an ill-thought out resource-whore?

Maybe Im going to start looking at Linux after all.

Redundant
08-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Well now you have me wondering. Was about to set up dual boot with Vista Business to replace my Windows 2000 Install (what I love to bits but what got broke on Monday and needs all drivers reinstalling).

Replacing a well known friend with an ill-thought out resource-whore?

Maybe Im going to start looking at Linux after all.
Maybe you could try using the OS that you skipped: XP Pro (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116059) or XP MCE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116049)! From what I hear, it's quite popular. :D

Crazy Buddhist
08-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Maybe you could try using the OS that you skipped: XP Pro (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116059) or XP MCE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116049)! From what I hear, it's quite popular. :D

I am. It's quite annoying.

XcOM
08-11-2007, 03:29 PM
whats wrong with XP, if it annoys you, why not try 98SE?

Crazy Buddhist
08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
whats wrong with XP, if it annoys you, why not try 98SE?

Now there was an operating system with class ;)

Redundant
08-12-2007, 02:57 AM
Now there was an operating system with class ;)
Which isn't supported or updated anymore...

C'mon, buy XP Pro or Media Center Edition.
If you try it, you'll like it. :D [/Green Egg's & Ham reference]

And if you really like your uglyfull "Windows Classic Theme", you can still use that too in XP.

Crazy Buddhist
08-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Which isn't supported or updated anymore...

C'mon, buy XP Pro or Media Center Edition.
If you try it, you'll like it. :D [/Green Egg's & Ham reference]

And if you really like your uglyfull "Windows Classic Theme", you can still use that too in XP.

I get free windows software so it isn't a bout buying anything. I can quintiple boot this thing with win2K XP XP64 Vista & Vista64 if I want for free, oh and as many server versions as you could throw your XP disk at. XP tries to take too much control of my machine for my liking and it is ugly and slow. In any case its pretty much windows 2000 with a fancy interface and too many wizards for hogwarts pushed onto a disk. And all those tooltips and pop up warnings I dont need to know. YUCK.

I'm an old fashioned guy who likes to know not only where the screws in the box are but what programs are doing what when.

The further microsoft develop their OS's the less the user has control it seems and I dont like this trend.

I will be switching to Linux soon.

CB

.Maleficus.
08-12-2007, 11:20 AM
I will be switching to Linux soon.
I was just about to suggest that.

Crazy Buddhist
08-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I was just about to suggest that.

Downloaded Ubuntu today

crenn
08-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I tried Linux and if you think Vista or XP is confusing and frustrating, wait until you have to use the command interface of Linux, but there may be a solution, find something with a good GUI.
But anyway, I keep a copy of Linux handy.... just it's Knoppix :D

Regarding tips for vista? Disable UAC and defrag your HDD. I run a dual boot with XP and Vista on my desktop. Works for me!

Crazy Buddhist
08-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Ubuntu 700M downloaded in about ten minutes. I burned the ISO of ubuntu and rebooted. ubuntu loaded from the disk.

It found almost all my hardware including my wireless keyboard and mouse - whose receiver is plugged into the usb hub (on my monitor) plugged into a usb port in deskpooter.

It connected flawlessly with the dhcp server of my router and I immediately had internet access. It wasn't greased lightening trying to do stuff and not everything worked. I am sure for a proper install I am going to have to carefully research drivers and such before starting.

But compared to any version of an MS operating system since MSDOS 3 or thereabouts, for simplicity of use there is no comparison.

Tomorrow I have to decide if I shall kill Bill's win2K or winXP. One is going for ubuntu unless I do triple boot.

CrazyB

XcOM
08-12-2007, 05:54 PM
i vote tripple boot until your happy with it,

But i always have, and always will say, WIndows 98se is the best OS ever made, just a shame it dosen't support files over 4GB, otherwise i would be using it now.

.Maleficus.
08-12-2007, 11:14 PM
CB: It was slow because it was running solely from the CD. Once it's installed, it will be smooth sailing.

Don't worry about drivers either; there really are none. Besides 3D video drivers, everything will detect and install itself. And if you're at work, I doubt you'll need them.

And don't worry about the command line either. It's sooo easy to pick up, I use it for almost everything on my server now (with the exception of GUI specific things). If you know a few DOS commands, you already know a few Linux commands. Most useful to learn off the bat:

cd - jump into a directory
su - total root access
sudo - temp. root access
tar xvjpf - extract .tar.bz2 files (or right click heh)
tar xvzf - extract .tar.gz files (or right click)
mv - move a file to a new location ("mv words.txt /usr/var")
nautilus - the command to open the file browser in Ubuntu
gedit - the command to open the text editor Gedit

Also, don't really worry about learning all the stuff right away. You'll find out something you don't know when you need it, and then learn it then.

Crazy Buddhist
08-13-2007, 01:33 AM
I was using Unix shell scripts twenty five years ago sitting at a workstation linked to a computer the size of a house. I've programmed in Asssembly language, Machine code, Basic, Cecil, Pascal, Fortran, Visual Basic and SQL.

I'm not scared of command prompts :)

I am scared of Bill Gates hegemony :(

"in a world without walls and fences we wouldn't need windows and gates"

Thanks for the encouragement Mal.

And yes .. windows 98 SE was the last good thing MS did.

CrazyB

LiTHiUM0XiD3
08-20-2007, 10:46 PM
The only vista tip that counts

1. run ya vista DVD thro a paper shredder
2. curse and scream at your computer till nothing happens (usualy takes a very short time but can continue for hours depending on user satisfaction)
3. slap yourself with a linux (prefferably ubuntu seeing as its very userfriendly) book till ya can memorize every bit of it
4. reformat your hard drive and choose a OS thats actualy worth using
5. smile when ya realize that beryl makes vista's aero look like a pile of horse dung...
6. thank me for showing ya the light
micro$hit will roast in hell... but linux will live on forever FREE SOFTWARE FTW!!!! STICK IT TO THE MAN!!!! (i tend to be a lil rebelious)

now plz stop hidin under the ingnorant shade of micro$hit and realize that the truth shall set u free