PDA

View Full Version : Problem with FTP and Windows

tybrenis
06-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Hey guys,

I recently formatted my computer and now I can't upload to my website anymore. I've checked with tech support and they can't help me - and I've tried another computer to confirm that my FTP server is indeed working fine.

When I connect to my FTP server through windows, explorer crashes. I can't upload via my online cPanel account - it just keeps attempting to load the page but the connection eventually times out. The same is true when I try to upload images through Joomla's image service. The problem has to be with blocked ports or something in windows.

Thanks a ton for the quick help! My website is suffering!

jdbnsn
06-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Have you tried Mozilla's Firefox with Fire FTP plug-in? That is all I use anymore, maybe it will adjust the settings for you.

tybrenis
06-03-2007, 02:34 PM
I think that did it, Jon! You the man.

tybrenis
06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
okay, update guys. That didn't fix the problem. I thought it did.

I can't upload ANYTHING. Nothing. Not to my website, not to Myspace, not to facebook, not to imageshack, not to bodybuildingforums! WTF! Everything either fails or times out. Normally it times out. What the hell. If someone her can help I'll love you forever. ..and +rep you forever.

nil8
06-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Do you have port 21 blocked on your firewall?

tybrenis
06-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Windows firewall is the only one installed and its turned off.

jdbnsn
06-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Are you using a router? Or just modem to comp? If you are running through a router you might try bypassing it to see if that is interfering.

tybrenis
06-11-2007, 04:34 PM
I am running through a modem, but I've never had any problems with it before. I think its a windows thing - this only started happening when I changed from Xp home to XP Pro.

jdbnsn
06-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I would try going to your my network places, right click you network connections and select properties. Then in the box at the top be sure you have the proper packets installed. Probably done this already, but just in case.

tybrenis
06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I've tried that, and no dice. Any other ideas?

jdbnsn
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Have you installed updates from Windows Update?

jdbnsn
06-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Something else you can try is open Mozilla Firefox and click Tools/options/advanced and set to autodetect proxy. Might be worth a phone call to your isp provider also, seeing as you can acess the net but can't upload, maybe they will have some idea of what is wrong.

Airbozo
06-11-2007, 06:01 PM
OK, Couple of things;

Can you upload from the command line ftp program (I can walk you through it if you have no experience with it)? (Basically open a command window, and type ftp ftp.domain.com then enter the user name and password then use put to see if files can be sent upstream).

Are you using the administrator account in XP professional for your ftp transfers?

tybrenis
06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys.

I can upload through the command line FTP program but the test image I uploaded is horribly corrupt. (http://powerpackedpc.com/CIMG0397.jpg)

tybrenis
06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Here's what the command line looked like:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tyler Purcell>cd ftp.powerpackedpc.com
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tyler Purcell>ftp://ftp.powerpackedpc.com
'ftp:' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tyler Purcell>ftp
ftp> open ftp.powerpackedpc.com
Connected to powerpackedpc.com.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 20:27. Server port: 21.
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
User (powerpackedpc.com:(none)): ductcom
331 User ductcom OK. Password required
Password:
230-User ductcom has group access to: ductcom
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
ftp> lcd desktop
Local directory now C:\Documents and Settings\Tyler Purcell\Desktop.
ftp> put CIMG0397.jpg
200 PORT command successful
150 Connecting to port 1756
226-File successfully transferred
226 3.197 seconds (measured here), 82.21 Kbytes per second
ftp: 269790 bytes sent in 3.09Seconds 87.20Kbytes/sec.
ftp>

On another note, this copy of windows isn't activated yet because MS is a bitch. Any ideas on if this affects it? I doubt it.

OvRiDe
06-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Hey Ty, it may be uploading the images in ascii format. What you might try is right after you login using the CLI, type the word "binary" this should set you to upload the files in binary rather then ascii. Still doesn't explain why Windoze is giving you grief. Give that a shot and let us know. Another option is to download Filezilla Ftp Client (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21558). Its Open Source and free if your not familiar with it. I have clocked it compared to the Explorer Client and it is a bit faster, especially on longer files, but that may just because it makes more of a difference on bigger files. :D

Hope this helps.

tybrenis
06-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Hey,

I tried it in both binary mode, Ascii mode, and both of them as passive and non-passive. Nadda.

EDIT: It's working with Filezilla. At least for the moment. However, it is still not allowing me to upload to myspace, BBing.com, ebay, my Joomla account... nothing.

Airbozo
06-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah, the binary option should have done it. Have you tried another ftp program like cuteftp or wsftp lite?

I have a utility around here that will monitor an ftp connection and log any errors or collisions. Let me see if I can find it or at least the name.

BTW the correct way to use the ftp command would be:
C:\ ftp ftp.powerpackedpc.com You just need the space in there...

Drum Thumper
06-12-2007, 02:09 PM
On another note, this copy of windows isn't activated yet because MS is a bitch. Any ideas on if this affects it? I doubt it.

I'd say that the odds are probably pretty damn good that this could be the culprit.

Well, on second thought, let me rephrase that: It wouldn't surprise me if this was the culprit.

I'm guessing you've ran tracert and ping and got acceptable results?

tybrenis
06-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey guys,

The problem isn't the way I'm uploading to my server. The problem is obviously something with windows, or a blocked port, etc., as I can't upload to myspace etc. either.