PDA

View Full Version : blue screen

ilambat
06-03-2007, 07:33 PM
sometimes when running my pc i keep getting a noise like a beepish noise and a blue screen comes up. and i have to restart my pc

at bottom of the blue screen it says something about physical memory dump

at the top its either some driver thing error i think

or a file called afd.sys error

can someone help me please

slytherock
06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
most of the times I saw this, it was case by a faulty PSU
To make sure what are your specs?
What are the temps you're having when it happen?

ilambat
06-18-2007, 11:29 AM
okay here is my spec:
hiper psu 550w
amd 6000+ processor
4gb ocz ram
512mb ati x1950
2 x 500gb hard drives

am running vista now and still has the same problems and also it has the same problems on xp.

Eclecticos
06-18-2007, 01:51 PM
afd.sys stands for Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock

Couple of suggestions:

One, click start, click run, and type:
sfc /scannow

Make sure you have the OS disk ready. It will check your system files and make sure they are not corrupt. If it finds a corrupt file, it will replace it.

Another thing, are you using Zone Alarm? If so, uninstall it, reboot, and tell me if you are getting the same issue.

Lastly, click start, click run, and type
msconfig

On the screen that pops up, select diagnostic startup. If that fixes your problem, then something that is loading during startup is causing it.
Slowly add the items from the startup tab in msconfig, until you get the problem again.

Olen
06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Has this always happened with you computer? You can get a BSOD and physical memory dump if there's something wrong with the memory (like say a dirty pin or one stick not in quite right (I had the latter happen not too long ago).

ilambat
06-18-2007, 02:35 PM
yep has always happened since i had the pc made.its really annoying.

ilambat
06-18-2007, 02:43 PM
another error came saying fltmgr.sys wth the physical memory dump at the bottom blue screen.

Eclecticos
06-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Reinstall windows. . I'd also recommend doing a memtest (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso)
Did you try sfc /scannow? Were there any errors?

ilambat
06-18-2007, 07:07 PM
i did the first one i click it and it comes n disappears in split second
den i did mscongfig al dt did ws stop few programs frm loading up in log in

i have dual boot up window so i need to install both windows? as problem occurs on both.

Olen
06-19-2007, 03:38 PM
If the problem occurs in two seperate operating systems then I very much doubt its software. Take out the memory and put it in another computer and test it there. Try some memory you know is sound in the computer. Find out what doesn't work - maybe even try a hard drive with an os installed from another stable computer if you still think its software.

But first - if you haven't already - take out the memory and give it a clean with component cleaner then put it back in again. This sounds a bit like a dirty connection.

Eclecticos
06-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Ive done some searching on the web and it seems this problem has been linked to two things, a worm or a bad psu. Do you have anti virus software?

If i were you I would download a free virus scanner like Avast (http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html) if you don't already have one.

It is odd that it would let you run sfc/ scannow . . are you logged on as administrator? Start -=> Run -=> Command -=> Sfc/ Scanall

Thats the thing about trying to help people over the net, for all I know . .they have a stick of ram improperly seated,
ribbon cables are worn and causing the problem, or the motherboard shorting out all over because they didn't install stand-offs.

If all else fails. . reformat, partition your drive in to two equal parts and install WinXP on one, and Vista on the other.
That way if something go's wrong you won't have to worry about deleting, or fixing the wrong files on the wrong OS.

If you do make sure you run a virus scan before backing up files on your selected media, or else.