PDA

View Full Version : Linux Help

XcOM
06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Its strange comming from me, the man who loves linux, has never had a problem with it, Till now

I recently had GFX and RAID problems,

Short story, I upgraded my GFX and RAID card, i install windows Vista, then server went pop, so the drives are now in my PC, All my data drives are in NTFS, i query is this:

I need to find a copy of linux that uses KDE and supports NTFS Read and write nativly, or with some form of reposetery thats not too much truble to install.

I would also if possable like it to use a repositiry installer like SUSE does, IE RPM's.

The last requirement is it is to be free, no trials unless its retelavey cheap.

Thanks for you help guys, i know someone out there will have the info i need. Google was not much help.

xmastree
06-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure about NTFS write, but have you tried kubuntu (http://www.kubuntu.org/)? It's the KDE version of ubuntu, and there is a live disc so you don't have to install it.

OTOH, the weapon of choice for most recovery/disk repair operations is knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html).

XcOM
06-05-2007, 02:45 PM
bugger, i didn't relise that linux won't network with vista yet, Dammit. I HATE VISTA now, well, i don't hate it, i like it, but dislike it, i noticed that my Last remaing XP machine can't talk to the vista machine over the network.

.Maleficus.
06-05-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure about native NTFS Read/Write, but the NTFS-3G (http://www.ntfs-3g.org/) is the best way to get it done.

Kubuntu is ok, but I don't like KDE. Other good distros, Mandriva One (I believe it uses KDE, and they have a free version), Fedora (can have KDE) and Gentoo, but trust me, that's way more work than you want.

XcOM
06-06-2007, 02:18 PM
It looks like Debain is the way to go,

Has KDE, support for NTFS read and write (Thanks Maleficus, +Rep) and you can install Samba 3.0.22 to allow access to Vista Shares, and visa versa

Luke122
06-06-2007, 03:26 PM
I've found a cool one for drive recovery... MiniPE2. It's a live environment based on XP, loaded with tools.. questionable legality though.. and I wont link to it, since I got it through bittorrent. However, it's been 100% successful so far recovering drives and info from dead machines.

I didnt know that Debian had NTFS support.. that's excellent news. :D

XcOM
06-06-2007, 04:10 PM
debian dosen't support NTFS nativly, but this package for Debain will enable NTFS read and write support:
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

XcOM
06-10-2007, 01:22 PM
update, Debian wouldn't install on my PC, every download i burnt, Even the one i bought failed during setup, and package failed, so did the GRUB setup, this is why i like the acconda install, it runs soooo much better.

So im in the process of downloading Fedora 7, version 4 always used to screwup my hard drives during setup, so i haven't touched it since, so im hoping that 7 works, i've read good things about version 7.

slytherock
06-10-2007, 01:27 PM
update, Debian wouldn't install on my PC, every download i burnt, Even the one i bought failed during setup, and package failed, so did the GRUB setup, this is why i like the acconda install, it runs soooo much better.

So im in the process of downloading Fedora 7, version 4 always used to screwup my hard drives during setup, so i haven't touched it since, so im hoping that 7 works, i've read good things about version 7.

I would suspect more the cd/dvd reader then the OS in that case. I had some issue (a long time ago) about installing XP on a computer. The problem was the reader...

Fedora 7.. mmm.. nice, i just installed it on and work very smootly :)

XcOM
06-11-2007, 05:21 AM
i would suspect the drive, but before i tried fedora, i swapped my DVD drive, and the same package failed, i think it may be somthing on my system that it dosen't like.

But i've got Fedora Core7 installed now, runs like a dream, got all drivers, including raid card, and i got NTFS read and write via NTFS-3G

Luke122
06-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Interesting side note re: NTFS and Ubuntu.

I have an external HDD formatted with NTFS that contains all my music and video shares. I can access it as an SMB share just fine.. just a thought. :)

.Maleficus.
06-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Ahhh, all this talk about Linux makes me miss it...

Anyone have a recommendation on a distro? I had Ubuntu 6.06, 6.10, and Gentoo on my system at one point, but after formatting my HDD, I can't decide if I want to go to Fedora, Arch, or back to Ubuntu. There's lots of good talk about Fedora, and Ubuntu is familiar to me, but Arch looks very promising. Hell, maybe I'll install two of them lol.

Luke122
06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Check out Sabayon... very interesting so far. :)

.Maleficus.
06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Check out Sabayon... very interesting so far. :)
Isn't Sabayon just a LiveCD installer for programs and X for Gentoo?

XcOM
06-12-2007, 06:49 AM
i vote for fedora, i've used meny distros, and i think my fav has to be Fedora 7 sofar, Has Gnome and KDE, so you can select which you want, YUM is now much easier to work with, and you have the advantage of RPM's, and with Red Hat being soooo HUGE there is sooo meny apps packed into RPM's already its unbeleabable,

.Maleficus.
06-12-2007, 10:35 AM
i vote for fedora, i've used meny distros, and i think my fav has to be Fedora 7 sofar, Has Gnome and KDE, so you can select which you want, YUM is now much easier to work with, and you have the advantage of RPM's, and with Red Hat being soooo HUGE there is sooo meny apps packed into RPM's already its unbeleabable,
Alright XcOM, I'll take your word for it and download FC7 (all I have now is 5 and 6). I'll definitely have to make sure to get the Gnome version though.

XcOM
06-12-2007, 10:43 AM
if you get the install DVD, it has both KDE and Gnome with it, just select it when installing Feo, when you come to login, just select which you would like to load with the session option.

.Maleficus.
06-13-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm downloading the LiveSpin. With our **** internet connection, it would take a week to download the install DVD. My download should be done in a few minutes :).

Edit: Posting this from my new install. Things are pretty nice so far, though there was a little problem with the internet at first. It was trying to connect with the ethernet port that doesn't have a wire plugged in :rolleyes:

Helix666
06-13-2007, 06:39 PM
It was trying to connect with the Ethernet port that doesn't have a wire plugged in :rolleyes:

I do that a lot, and it's frustrating. You change every single bloody setting possible imaginable, trying to get an internet connection. Then you finally decide to follow the cable, leading to... an RJ45 lying on the floor. (Or more likely for me, a router that isn't plugged into the mains. :redface: )

But, barring errata like that, I've never had any problems (well, that can be attributed to anything other than PEBKAC. :p )

(Mal, you want to try downloading a DVD on a DialUp internet connection. Took me a month.)

</random_chatter>

.Maleficus.
06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I do that a lot, and it's frustrating. You change every single bloody setting possible imaginable, trying to get an internet connection. Then you finally decide to follow the cable, leading to... an RJ45 lying on the floor. (Or more likely for me, a router that isn't plugged into the mains. :redface: )

But, barring errata like that, I've never had any problems (well, that can be attributed to anything other than PEBKAC. :p )

(Mal, you want to try downloading a DVD on a DialUp internet connection. Took me a month.)

</random_chatter>
Haha, I was talking about the port on my mobo that didn't have the cable plugged in (dual LAN ports, one cable plugged in) but your story is funnier.

And I know how you feel about the downloads. We have DSL here, but I _rarely_ get download times faster than dial-up ((~30kbs) If that's reasonable for dial-up, I haven't used it in a long time). I _have_ to use a torrent for everything, because it would take years to download all the Linux ISOs I have.

Helix666
06-19-2007, 03:26 PM
((~30kbs) If that's reasonable for dial-up, I haven't used it in a long time).

:eek: I never got above 22.8Kbps if I was lucky. downloads of 2Kbps. nng....

But, that's enough off topic for today. :D

XcOM
06-19-2007, 03:33 PM
[off topid]
I can download at 1.45MEG per SECOND!
[/off topid]