PDA

View Full Version : S.t.a.l.k.e.r.

xRyokenx
06-05-2007, 04:51 PM
It looks like a really cool game, so far I've heard some great things about it, and from what I've read, it seems to be similar to an older game I'd like to get called System Shock. From the descriptions I've read it looks awesome, a bit scary, maybe. Anyone have anything to say about it?

I may get a copy, it'll play on my PC, but it may be a while, like October, after my court crap is over.

jdbnsn
06-05-2007, 04:57 PM
I have it, great game! It's environments are eerie and cool looking, gameplay is good and pretty tough enemies. Some of the creatures in the game are pretty spooky too, with psionic abilities and so forth. It's worth the bill.

xRyokenx
06-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Okay, I'll get it in October after they review my case on September 21 to dismiss all the silliness the school came up with. I'm thinking that they're going to be looking at what I've been playing, or at least that I should be careful with that crap, just in case they do a thorough search for some damn reason.

Would you say it's a horror game? If so, I'd prolly not like it as much, lol... but I do enjoy SciFi stuff, it seems like it's right up my alley.

jdbnsn
06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
No, not a horror game. Couple of spooky bad guys but mostly an adventure game.

Spawn-Inc
06-05-2007, 07:25 PM
its a FPS, with some scary stuff if you get into the game. i hate those invisble guys. even when i cheat with invisibility i still get scared and run away like a little girl (in the game). its like what might happen after a nuke war and its ppl grouped off into different gangs. i really like it but it messed up my pc one time. i have since fixed and not played it though(i'm back into console gaming not pc for now). i'm going to wait for my new pc until i resume playing it.

xRyokenx
06-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Alright, cool. Is it gory at all? If it is, is there an option to turn that **** off? I don't like it too much and my parents prolly wouldn't like it too much either...

Take a look at my PC's specs on my profile, lemme know what settings you think it'd run on, lol.

jdbnsn
06-05-2007, 08:12 PM
No, not really gory per se. What I mean is I don't remember seeing any blood and guts. However, it's overall theme is dismal. There are bodies lying around (the game is based after the Chernobyl disaster), radiation sickness etc...so I don't think it's for the faint of heart but it's not Doom3 or anything.

xRyokenx
06-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm good with somewhat creepy images, skeletons, zombies, and their ilk. Although I don't like it when the zombies get too screwed up, ahem, Half Life, ahem. In that case it's no problem. Look out S.T.A.L.K.E.R.! Here I come.

...in October :neutral:...

Durrthock
06-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Okay, I'll get it in October after they review my case on September 21 to dismiss all the silliness the school came up with. I'm thinking that they're going to be looking at what I've been playing, or at least that I should be careful with that crap, just in case they do a thorough search for some damn reason.

HMMMMMMMMMMM???
Curiosity killed the cat but im already dead so what is it?

xRyokenx
06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
False charges. Communicating a threat or some crap. Just people not listening to the whole rant and making hasty decisions on what I said and what to do. I'll get into it some other time, but not right now.

Spawn-Inc
06-05-2007, 11:13 PM
well here is a video review (http://www.gamespot.com/video/540331/6167674/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-video-review) from gamespot, it got 8.5/10.

Alright, cool. Is it gory at all? If it is, is there an option to turn that **** off? I don't like it too much and my parents prolly wouldn't like it too much either...

i would say in terms of violence and what not its like half life and half life 2. i don't recall and major violence like resident evil with you head getting cut off as seen in this video.
0ZfPr45GwDM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]
Take a look at my PC's specs on my profile, lemme know what settings you think it'd run on, lol.

when i first got it i put it to high and it worked fine for me. then it started freezing and i shutting down so i ended up putting it to as low as possible and it really didn't make a difference (to me) accept for when i lowered the distance you can see clearly. but i'm not sure why it was freezing.

my sepcs aren't the good so with yours i would put it to high-ful.

my specs

gigabyte 8i915gmf
intel pent 4 HT 3.0 GHz LGA775
ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 PCI Express Edition Radeon® X1300 Series Graphics 256mb
1gb sdual channel integrated DDR400 PC 3200 (2x 512mb sticks)
seagate barracuda 250gb 7200.10 sata
300 Watt enermax PSU

xRyokenx
06-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Alright, when I get a copy, I'll put it to max and then lower it until it gets better. I have the same video card as Minty, and he said it can play Oblivion on high (minus the grass). Take note that my card is AGP, and my RAM is unfortunately not dual channel. I'll prolly have it at 1024x768, the rez for pretty much every game I play, except the older ones.

I'll see if I can't get it for my birthday in about two weeks or so. That would be awesome.

EDIT: $34 at Newegg, a possibility. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832193105)

Quote from Newegg, just to make some pointers, I'll remove it if asked to, or you guys can.

Pros: Graphic quality is outstanding, it has better rendering than Oblivion. Full dynamic lighting; on highest quality the shadows change as the sun moves, lightning bolts cast realistic shadows onto everything. The AI for combat is really well developed, enemies will usually take cover very well adding to a heated gun battle. If an enemy manages to escape they will hid for sometimes long periods of time and catch you with your guard down after you think an area is clear. The quests are rather freeform and randomized besides the main quest. It allows for very different situations to accompany the same basic game mechanic continuously. The weapons are realistic and have mods that are detachable, the weapons will also jam and break as they wear, each weapon has stats dependant on what class they are.

Cons: Prepatch, money grows on trees, which doesn't really seem to affect game-play, because the best technology you find seems to come from the zone in more difficult areas and on more difficult enemies. Vendors usually sell ammo med-packs and sub-par equipment and aditional things. Some systems in-game seem kinda clunky like they would benifit from some level of automation, like an option to auto-loot certain equipment from chests, bodies ect. only because of the ammount of those things you loot in an average hour of playing, some quests are bizzare and seem impossible unless you possess some knowledge about the events surrounding them.(imagine trying to find a specific rifle on the ground in an area the size of a level in BF2142) I feel a lack of access in the game, you can crouch, run, climb ladders and jump, pretty standard, but when immersed in such a life-like setting, I want to crawl, climb through windows and up drainpipes, hoist myself up onto ledges just above my head.

Other Thoughts: I'm basing my opinions on the retail pre-patch version, I viewed the notes on the patch, the changes didn't seem like they would compromise what I'm saying here, I may be wrong. Overall it's an amazing play, it seems to suffer some performance issues on my system. My computer is above recommended specs for the game, it's not godly, but it can play HL2 on max, FEAR on MAX, BF2 on MAX, BF2142 on MAX, Oblivion on MAX besides grass shadows(?). It runs Stalker pretty well, but the performance degrades the longer I play, and in some places it just stops for sometimes as much as 30 seconds, even after optimizing. I've heard people say that the guns system just doesn't work/is inaccurate etc, if you've ever fired a weapon, you know the bullets don't always go exactly where you put the crosshairs, it takes experience with the weapons in this game to really do well in combat.

xRyokenx
06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I actually found a good site with some screenshots. It looks as though it has its share of mutants, but hell, they're not that bad. They're not the headcrab zombies of HL2, thankfully. Nor are they the stupid crap from the Resident Evil series, lol.

LINK (http://pc.ign.com/articles/580/580849p1.html)

EDIT: Read that you can't drive vehicles in the game normally, but can with a mod, anyone know of one? lol

Spawn-Inc
06-06-2007, 01:55 PM
first off don't ya dare dis up my beautiful Resident Evil series!!!!!! your head getting cut off with a chainsaw, comm'on thats just comic genius(not sure if thats what it is but i heard people say it).

these (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/480/480467/img_4405672.html) monsters are the scariest because they can turn invisible.

xRyokenx
06-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I saw that... they had a vid on them, it was kinda interesting... a whole different aspect. I like how you can see their eyes when they're invisible, that's cool...

I just don't like RE too much... not my style game. The whole chainsaw beheading is kinda comical the way they make it though.

Spawn-Inc
06-09-2007, 01:01 AM
i forgot to mention but if/when you get a copy of stalker get the latest patch before you start to play. i didn't get a patch right away and now i have to start from scratch because the patch won't let old game saves work for some stupid reason.

xRyokenx
06-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I remember reading that somewhere, and am going to be careful with that. I'm not sure if this is my style game or not, it has the awesome first person sandbox style play with a wide variety of different things that make a game fun, but there are also mutants that for some reason are bothering me quite a bit, I don't know what it is, but particularly the bloodsuckers and snorks bother me... it's annoying, but I can get over it.

Any hints on the game?

xRyokenx
06-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Oh, as my dad was complaining about BF2142 I may end up getting Oblivion, who knows. Contradictory retards.

The boy 4rm oz
06-19-2007, 10:42 AM
STALKER is a great game. I got the collectors edition apon release. Just be carefull though, the first patch causes old save files to become corrupt. Make sure you patch before you play. I had to start again, almost done too *sigh*.

xRyokenx
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
My copy comes in tomorrow. ^_^

And I know about the patch, I'ma be careful. I like your sig too, that's great.

intergalacticman
06-19-2007, 12:06 PM
is it scarier than FEAR?

xRyokenx
06-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I doubt it, but I bet FEAR doesn't quite have as open gameplay as this. This is like FPS Oblivion instead of an FPS RPG. It's a great game from what I've heard, I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Damn I'ma have Oblivion and STALKER at the same time, gonna be tough competition with WoW... damn, video game overload. o0

Note: I'm gonna be out of cash for a little while and entertained for a long while.

intergalacticman
06-19-2007, 12:44 PM
agreed :)

Spawn-Inc
06-19-2007, 12:56 PM
I doubt it, but I bet FEAR doesn't quite have as open gameplay as this. This is like FPS Oblivion instead of an FPS RPG. It's a great game from what I've heard, I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Damn I'ma have Oblivion and STALKER at the same time, gonna be tough competition with WoW... damn, video game overload. o0

Note: I'm gonna be out of cash for a little while and entertained for a long while.

ya i hate getting more than 1 game at a time then i end up playing 1 and the other ends up being a waste of money unless its someithng i really like.

intergalacticman
06-19-2007, 01:03 PM
that happened with empire earth 2 and AOE 3 last christmas.

xRyokenx
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
I think I'ma play Oblivion and put STALKER away for a while. I'm gonna like both but I need something for later on, so whenever I get bored of Oblivion or am finished playing for a while and am not consumed by WoW again I'll play it. Or it'll make a good gift, who knows.

Spawn-Inc
06-19-2007, 02:58 PM
is it scarier than FEAR?

not its not but at times its pretty scary. those dam invisible monsters and sounds they make....(its worse if you have headphones on and play in dark.)

rendermandan
06-19-2007, 05:23 PM
your all just a bunch of pussies. LOL Just kidding. I've never been scared of a video game. yes there is gore and blood and guts, but to make me scared? Not happening. I get more grossed out than anything. but not scared. Are you afraid your going to have nightmares or something?

Spawn-Inc
06-19-2007, 05:55 PM
i consider scaring/scary/scared is when things jump out or you get really into the game.

xRyokenx
06-20-2007, 12:13 AM
I got Oblivion in and have been playing it. It's not really scary whatsoever, but the whole "I can't see but three feet in front of my face with this crappy torch" deal gets old. But yeah, good games here. This should keep my occupied for a while.

The boy 4rm oz
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
xRyokenx thanks about the sig. One of my mates told me it, he is a WoW whore lol.

intergalacticman
06-20-2007, 02:32 PM
yeah, the white noise and stuff in FEAR gets to me sometimes when i get immersed in the game

.Maleficus.
06-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Back in the day, the "Welcome to Ravenholm" chapter of HL2 scared the **** out of me. Damn speed zombies screeching and running at me. I'm still scared by RE4. And back when it first came out I was scared of Doom 3.

But I consider being scared when you jump as something pops up at you, or you don't want to look around the next corner because you'll get your face eaten or something.

Spawn-Inc
06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Back in the day, the "Welcome to Ravenholm" chapter of HL2 scared the **** out of me. Damn speed zombies screeching and running at me. I'm still scared by RE4. And back when it first came out I was scared of Doom 3.

But I consider being scared when you jump as something pops up at you, or you don't want to look around the next corner because you'll get your face eaten or something.

ya me too. speaking of re4 how far did u get? that part where you jump in the sewer was FREAKY!!!!!!!

xRyokenx
06-20-2007, 06:46 PM
While this thread is OT (like I really care, chat away guys), I was wondering how to get the mods to work in Oblivion, I have one with an addon (a castle) and another that retextures a few things to improve the quality, like swords and such, how would I get them to work?

.Maleficus.
06-20-2007, 08:58 PM
ya me too. speaking of re4 how far did u get? that part where you jump in the sewer was FREAKY!!!!!!!
Not very far (crazy lizard thing boss). I haven't picked up my Gamecube in a while.

Oblivion mods: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Oblivion_Mods_FAQ#How_do_I_install_mods.3F

xRyokenx
06-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks .Mal. I had the program, just didn't read the tutorial... I have a bad habit of doing that. o0

Spawn-Inc
06-21-2007, 12:15 AM
so it looks better now? is oblivion worth it?

happy bday BTW

xRyokenx
06-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks.

Yes, Oblivion is worth it. I have it on 640x480 and Med. Textures, etc. etc. and it looks great. The monitor I have is awesome for resizing, it runs oh so much better than at a higher rez. It's very moddable too, I have a ton of stuff already, mainly houses as the default ones are either A) crap or B) a total ripoff, or C) a ripoff piece of crap. I'll try STALKER later. Another friend of mine that I convinced to get it is having a blast, reigning chaos like you wouldn't believe, that guy is nuts. I highly recommend both games to all that love a good FPS sandbox style game.