PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if it's software...

Outlaw
06-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I have RoadRunner Phone/Cable/Internet. Up until we got the phone service, my home network was fine.

My Setup before phone:
Modem-Router-3 wired PC's, 2 wireless

Setup after phone:
Modem/Phone-1 wired PC

When the tech came to install the phone, they had to swap out the old modem for a modem that had the phone jack in it. He said that I would have to re-configure my router, I thought fine, it's not that hard. Well I have tried everything I can think of and it still doesn't work.

What I did so far:
-Swap patch cables from modem to router(didn't try a crossover yet)
-Plug modem into a switch, plug the router into the switch(knew it wasn't going to work, but had to try)
-Plugged the PC into the modem, do an IPCONFIG /ALL, took the info I needed (IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS) and setup the router static with that info)

I think I may have tried a few other things and it still doesn't work. Any ideas??

Thanks for any input.

Wasn't sure if I should put in here or Peripherals.

Luke122
06-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Some modems actually do require a crossover cable.. that might be your issue too.

Do you get a physical link light on the modem when the router is plugged in? (lan light)

If the PC is working with the same cable, then crossover may not solve the issue with the router. Do you have another router to test?

Problem that I just worked through for another user was resolved by rebooting the modem after attaching a different device. Maybe attach the router, and reboot the modem. Just a thought..

moon111
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I've resolved a similiar issue by shutting down and unplugging everything.
Hold the ON button down on the modem, router, and computer (with everything still unplugged) for about 10 seconds. Now, plug in and turn on modem. Wait. Plug in router and turn on. Wait. Plug in computer and turn on. Test.

Failing that, I've used the hard to find RESET buttons on devices.

Outlaw
06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Lukifer- Thanks, I did try the crossover with no luck and I don't have another router.

moon111- After I read this, this is trouble shooting we had to do at my work for remote sites while the building was still being built. THANK YOU! lol it works. I am officially plugged into the router, then modem.

Thanks guys for the quick responses, I would still be down to one computer without you.

THANKS AGAIN! That's what I call "Thinking OUTSIDE the box"

+rep