PDA

View Full Version : On/off Keys

weirdguy
07-10-2005, 01:37 AM
does anyone know where i can get a key switch. So when I unlock it my comp turns on and when I lock it it turns off? thanks.

MARV3L
07-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I'd think your local hardware store would sell them.
http://akamai.globalsources.com.edgesuite.net/f/593/3445/5d/pdt.static.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/SMALL/424/S1000833424.jpg
One like that your looking for?

weirdguy
07-10-2005, 12:13 PM
yeah, like that. Do they come all prepared to be a switch? Is there some specific name I should ask the guys at the hardware store for?

2bigfan
07-11-2005, 11:14 PM
i think that switch will not work. coz ur pc is turned on by quikly closeing then opening a swich if u keep the switch closed then ur pc will shut down.

i found this out when i was customising my switch to be a missil switch. i had to get a switch that flick back into open.

p.s. i mite be rong if im rong can u right me. :?

Cheesemold
07-14-2005, 11:15 AM
I think maybe you could somehow rig it up to your powersource so the lock is responsible for giving your computer power, and not neccessarily the switch that turns it on. Unless you want the lock as the actual switch (because it's more awesome) and not just a security barrier, then I'm not so sure how you could go about it.

timmer
07-14-2005, 03:06 PM
you could always try and put the lock inbetween the power button and the header on your mobo, and when it is locked the wires dont make contact so you coudln't turn it on. But I don't know how the hell you could make that.

Exley
07-17-2005, 10:07 PM
what i would do is use it like an ignition key (turn it, when the case lights up turn it back) and then again to turn it off.

Impulse-101-
08-04-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm wondering if you put a jumper where the power switch goes on the mobo, and you put the key switch inbetween the powersupply and mobo, if that would work. I'm going to test this.

Also, if you can find a 3 stage ignition switch (like what is in a car) it could work =).

[DGN]Nexus
08-16-2005, 05:53 PM
THe ignition idea would work if you put a knob on one of the sides. THen you could turn it and the power button would be pressed in and if you had the windows settings right, or wherever that function is, you could turn it and your computer would shut down. You wouldn't want to hold the turn, otherwise its a hard shutdown which is never good if you dont have to do it that way. THe theory would work, you just need to adapt the lock a little bit. :D

Chapel
08-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Your going to run into issues, because what you are wanting to do it AT case style, remember back in the day when computer had switches not buttons. ATX cases/PSU's operate like mentioned above, its the bump in the circuit that turns the computer on. I would think though with some simple sottering you could wire in a device that did this. The other option is wire the switch to the powersupply and then just have a direct feed into the computer. So bascially everytime you pwer off your computer you will be shutting off the psu, a pain for windows but it can manage.

[DGN]Nexus
08-17-2005, 08:09 AM
AT Case? I must have missed that part.. in that case Chapel is right.. ;)

Pimptimus_Prime
09-15-2005, 05:04 AM
Try this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=060-216

It's what I'm going to use.

tybrenis
09-26-2005, 08:42 PM
I just bought some myself off of eBay. They are available in this dude's auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3880949419&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

They have 2 little metal connectors coming off of the back and work now a my computer switch instead of the pushbutton.

:)

niko7209
09-27-2005, 01:56 AM
what i would do is use it like an ignition key (turn it, when the case lights up turn it back) and then again to turn it off.

bit off topic: that would be the coolest thing EVER. anyone have something like that?

tybrenis
09-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Yes, I currently have that as my power switch for a custom V6 engine block computer case I am building.