PDA

View Full Version : iBook Wireless Card

Omnipotentclown
06-10-2007, 12:51 AM
I recently got an old iBook G3 from a friend. so naturally i decided that it needed linux like the rest of my pcs. i ended up choosing Debian and its been working great. everything works, sound, 3d graphics, even the hotkeys (with a bit of 3rd party goodness).
on the software end im very pleased, however the hardware side is a little lacking. i never intended to use this thing for more than internet and wordprocessing but it still takes some time loading multiple pages in firefox and writes far to much to the pagefile.
so i decided id upgrade the ram with a 512 Mb stick for a total of 640. im also going to put in a 80gig HDD i have sitting around from another laptop. the last thing on my list is a new wireless card. i like to game in the backyard with my friends and their laptops always pick up 3 or 4 times more APs because the have G cards whereas the iBook is proudly sporting a B. ive done some research to no avail. everyone says nothing but the standard Airport card will work because Mac dosnt offer drivers for anything else, but im using linux so drivers arent the issue. i just need to know if there is a card that will physically work with it. my concerns are the tight space, the ppc architecture and how mac enjoys being highly proprietary.
any help would be greatly appreciated. =]

EDIT: i realized i said page file, not swap. my mistake ive been working on a friends windows pc today. :]

simon275
06-10-2007, 12:56 AM
If you have a PCIMA slot then any wifi card as long as you have the drivers will work with it.

Omnipotentclown
06-24-2007, 12:44 PM
yea it is pcmia and cards do plug in but i need one that will fit under the keyboard. all that ive seen are to long and the keyboard wont sit back on it. i think i need one with out the internal antennea on the end.

simon275
06-24-2007, 08:48 PM
If you want to go war driving you need one with external antenna jack.

Wardiving is illegal so we can't talk about it here.

Anyways I don't understand what you mean by fitting under the keyboard don't yo just have a PCMIA slot in the board? All PCMIA cards are the same size just some wifi cards have the antenna bulge sticking out but that is outside the laptop

Omnipotentclown
07-01-2007, 12:31 PM
its an old ibook so all it has is a pcmia slot underneath the keyboard for a wireless card. it dosnt stick out the side so it makes for a tight fit.