PDA

View Full Version : AMD or INTEL

synapz
07-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Well, opinions and what do u think the best 478 socket processer is lol ;)

MrSlacker
07-10-2005, 06:44 PM
i dont get the poll...............

synapz
07-10-2005, 07:41 PM
what dont you get :S

slipknot_fan1
07-10-2005, 07:44 PM
intel all the way. i cant wait to get their new dual core processor!!!

crenn
07-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Well, AMD doesn't have any 478 processors, and intel doesn't do anymore 478 processors.

But out of all the Processors availible on the market today, I'd have to say that the AMD is better for gaming than intel.

MrSlacker
07-10-2005, 07:54 PM
i like AMD...
what do u think the best 478 socket processer is thats what i dont get......

synapz
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
ok, i have a 478 socket, and by the sounds of it im f*ked on buying a new processer lol

Xbrid
07-11-2005, 01:30 AM
AMD Rock!!!

Malatory
07-11-2005, 02:30 PM
ok, i have a 478 socket, and by the sounds of it im f*ked on buying a new processer lol

You can still get 478 Procs. But since you have gotten the board already. You have limited yourself to Intel as there never was or will be a AMD 478 proc.

MisterChief
07-12-2005, 11:04 PM
:rolleyes: Only those who have never owned an AMD 64 proc say Intel is better

MrSlacker
07-12-2005, 11:32 PM
:rolleyes: Only those who have never owned an AMD 64 proc say Intel is better
so true!

wretched73
07-18-2005, 02:08 PM
aut of all my friends we are split right down the middle, i find that the lag with and AMD is so much worse than that of even a 478 p4 2.53

The Grendel
07-18-2005, 05:15 PM
No matter what ANYBODY says, i'll stick with Intel.
Why?
Here's a test
Setup a file server using an Athlon 1 ghz (not anything remotely new, this WAS afterall 5 years ago)

(initial skepticism)
Then install Win2k SRV on it.
(still good, everything still works fine....)
now set it to connect to a combination Novell IPX and Windows TCP network
(whoa... what was that... no wait, ok now its working)
Now connect it and run 300+ users off of it
Result:

TOTAL MELTDOWN

The server died completely after only 3 days: several Gb of valuable data was lost during the crash.

AMD may be better for gaming, but Intel wins most times for better stability in real world use.

And I do more than just gaming.

in any case, it's really a matter of opinion

-Grendel

MrSlacker
07-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Intel is better for multi tasking, but gaming is AMD..

Samseed
08-06-2005, 08:39 AM
I admit I've never used an AMD processor, but I've never ever had a problem with intel processors. I'll stick with what works for me.

sXenoG
08-06-2005, 12:21 PM
No matter what ANYBODY says, i'll stick with Intel.
Why?
Here's a test
Setup a file server using an Athlon 1 ghz (not anything remotely new, this WAS afterall 5 years ago)

(initial skepticism)
Then install Win2k SRV on it.
(still good, everything still works fine....)
now set it to connect to a combination Novell IPX and Windows TCP network
(whoa... what was that... no wait, ok now its working)
Now connect it and run 300+ users off of it
Result:

TOTAL MELTDOWN

The server died completely after only 3 days: several Gb of valuable data was lost during the crash.

AMD may be better for gaming, but Intel wins most times for better stability in real world use.

And I do more than just gaming.

in any case, it's really a matter of opinion

-Grendel

Ummmm Well first of all windows has no business being on a true server even if it is windows server os. They run too much overhead. Second of all 20 piplines in p4's does not mean more stable it means the contrary. As far as im concerned 8+ years of intel has been spent unwisely since I went amd im not going back. I admit im a gamer but i perform many other tasks that are not game related. I dont do nething that remotely resembles what ur speaking of but i must disagree as I feel amd is just as stable as any intel. Maybe 5 years ago this was a different storry but now a days amd just puts intel to shame. Especially price to performance.
I am a very very bias person so you can definately disagree but will never change my mind.

Aero
08-06-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm waiting for the companies to merge, get a 64 bit processor with HT running at 3.6 ghz with the architechure of an FX-57.

MrSlacker
08-06-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm waiting for the companies to merge, get a 64 bit processor with HT running at 3.6 ghz with the architechure of an FX-57.
we can only dream about that one

sXenoG
08-06-2005, 08:04 PM
lol. I have sucha newb question im really not in the mood to do research on it. But what is hyper-threading to me it sounds like a fake dual core that improves nothing but I havent followed intell for a lil while now so can someone enlighten me?

Also whats so wonderful about the FX-57 architecture other then its dang expensive? I honestly dont know.

Aero
08-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Hyper Threading devides one physical processor into 2 virtual processors, it makes one Intel 3 GHZ act like two, great for multi-tasking.

sXenoG
08-07-2005, 02:16 AM
So basicly it is a fake dual core... hmmm I dont kno maybe illd o some research so i can understand how it VIRTUALY does multi tasking better on one core sounds like a conspiracy to me lol :). To me it just sounds like an altered proprietary setting. That switches between to programs fast instead of completeing 1 process and then switching to the 2nd task. I kno a small amount about propritary crap cuz of my gf's dad i dont kno EXACTLY what he does but he is a certified linux tech. And he works for a multi billion dollar corp, so he is VERY knowledgeable.. OO and he hates windows and hates GUI for the most part.

EDIT: I just did some research and my hypothesis was correct. I've never had any issues with my processors im not a hardcore multitasking guru. Also something interesting about the description about hyperthreading sounds like a new processor someone in europe is developing for small time technology as it isnt fully stable yet. Currently processors are synchronus meaning that it can perform 1 task per cycle because everything is "synchronized". The new processor is going about using an asynchronus method which allows the entire cpu to be working rather there being gaps. Just as HT does seems like the processor can learn from the HT tech. The only difference is that in HT i believe it distributes the workload equally between the two tasks with asynchronus its not like that at all. It does alternate but rather FILLS everything up.

Sorry if thats confusing all that matters to me is that i understand :)

Maynards
08-17-2005, 05:54 PM
I would say it depends on what you want to do;

AMD seem to be the better all rounder, but if your doing cpu intensive programs like rendering, ripping, folding etc then the raw Ghz of the Intels win hands down. But amd's are cooler, and the 64 bit is way ahead of intel for when things start moving over. Just go check Far Cry's 64 bit patch for the game, the improvements are amazing. Graphically the game looks better, and i hear it's smoother too.

brianstretch
08-20-2005, 12:11 AM
Intel's HyperThreading makes GUIs appear to run smoother but as soon as you do anything seriously CPU-intensive (program compiles, etc) it's as likely to hurt you as help you. It also makes the already hot P4 CPU run even hotter. It's a nice marketing gimmick though.

There's no substitute for two real cores, and the AMD Athlon 64 X2 series stomps all over the dualcore Pentiums. Waaaaay less power consumption too, see here:

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2005q3/athlon64-x2-3800/index.x?pg=13

The X2 3800+ is semi-affordable, see mwave.com and monarchcomputing.com (among others) for some interesting motherboard/CPU bundle deals.

I haven't bought an Intel CPU since the Pentium 3.

[DGN]Nexus
08-20-2005, 01:45 PM
This won't happen due to the rules against monopolies. If AMD and Intel were to merge, that company would be the only one for people like us to buy processors from. Granted Motorola makes processors, but those are only sold to Apple for their computers.

Hyper Threading devides one physical processor into 2 virtual processors, it makes one Intel 3 GHZ act like two, great for multi-tasking.

So basicly it is a fake dual core...
You are right in this. The HT technology is kindof like software vs. hardware. HT makes a virtual version of the processor and computes crazy numbers at and extremely fast pace. With a dual core processor, you basically have two processors in one, so the division isn't necessary. If they did put HT with this processor, the abilities would be endless.