PDA

View Full Version : DOS Help

Indybird
06-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Im getting a job this summer simply transferring files off of DOS to Windows. I havent used DOS since I was 9 and I wasnt really into computers then. I have a few questions:
Is DOS USB compatible?
What would be the best way to copy these files?
and
Do you have any other helpful hints?

Thankyou,
Indybird

EDIT: I just realized Im almost at 550 posts and only one has been about modding, I feel kinda unmodderish. Don't worry I'll get to it!

jdbnsn
06-15-2007, 11:31 AM
As far as I know DOS is not USB compatible. Acronis makes a program that will allow you to boot from DOS and copy to USB devices however, called something like "True Image"

jdbnsn
06-15-2007, 11:33 AM
I forgot, since parallel ports can be used from DOS, a Zip drive is another option. I have one that has been sitting around for years and holds 100MB per disk, you could easily find one for next to nothing or borrow mine.

Indybird
06-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Thats sounds like a good idea and thanks for offer. Is a zip drive really the biggest storage I can use on DOS?

Thanks,
Indybird

+rep for the fast and useful help

jdbnsn
06-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Well, you can get more expensive Zip drives that are larger, or you could use the Acronis program and connect a USB external drive.

Indybird
06-15-2007, 01:25 PM
The job description was slightly off, instead of copying files from DOS I am creating/finding a new database program based on a DOS program. They need a windows/gui database program that is compatible with modern printers.

I have no idea where to start, thanks for the help so far.
If you can still help me, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Indybird

jdbnsn
06-15-2007, 01:35 PM
I guess I'm not sure exactly what you are needing, can you rephrase? You need a DOS based program/database that is a gui?

Indybird
06-15-2007, 01:38 PM
The more I think about the more I realise this is way out of my programming/computer abilities. :?

They want a GUI Business Database program to replace their outdated DOS program. I found the code and files for the DOS program and theres about 100 files each with individual code. :dead:

Thanks for sticking around, I really hope you can help because I can't find anything...

-Indybird

jdbnsn
06-15-2007, 01:40 PM
So they want to replace DOS then? Oh I think I get it, they want to run the database from DOS but the program is a gui based utility. Is that right?

jdbnsn
06-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Have you looked into Corel Paradox for DOS?

Indybird
06-15-2007, 01:59 PM
So they want to replace DOS then? Oh I think I get it, they want to run the database from DOS but the program is a gui based utility. Is that right?

nonono, um...ok here we go:
They currently are running a DOS-based Database program. It has many DOS-related errors and is not compatible with their modern printers. They want to replace the DOS program with a modern-printer-compatible, GUI-based Database program.

Bopher
06-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't think anything DOS based is going to run modern printer. I don't even know of any programs still made for the DOS system. But I've only been really back into the in depth computer scene since I found this site.

jdbnsn
06-15-2007, 02:11 PM
So they are opposed to running linux then? This would allow them to install a wider variety of GUI based utilities.

Luke122
06-15-2007, 02:12 PM
How many users are accessing the database? How big is the database? Importing the data into Access or SQL may be the way to go, depending on size/format.

Access can create a pretty nice interface, since all the forms are created using a WYSIWYG interface.. think "drag and drop". SQL is probably overkill for this project, and it's definitely more costly, whereas Access is included with most versions of MS office.

Bopher
06-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I was think of suggesting that but I know nothing about Linux based systems. Been meaning to down and tinker some but never remember to. hmmm. Might be something to look at seems lots of people like it here.

jdbnsn
06-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I was only suggesting Linux because it would be free, I agree that Access is a better choice but don't you need windows to run it?

Luke122
06-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, you would need Access (and therefore Windows) to run the DB. My understanding of this project (and I could be wrong here) was that they were moving to a GUI OS to get away from DOS, and limitations of DOS accessing newer printers.

The more I think about this, if the PC's already have Windows on them then the printers can be installed there, and the LPT port can be captured to redirect printjobs, essentially allowing the DOS app to print to new printers.

...thoughts?

Bopher
06-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Yup, Access come with the Office Pack they sell. I think through MS you can buy just Access but don't quote me on that one. I never know what MS is think nowadays.

Airbozo
06-15-2007, 02:54 PM
If you just want to make their app work the way it is, try FreeDOS;

http://www.freedos.org/

They may have updated some of the drivers or at least you can print to network printers letting the printer host control the printer...

Indybird
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
ok, im sorry for not making this very clear but the computers are running windows XP but the program is in DOS. Access sounds like a great idea; i had a class on that my freshman year. Just in case though, I'll tell you what they'll be using it for.
They own 7 gas stations and need to manage gas, mini-mart items and profits and be able to print it out in an organized manner.

Thanks for all the help!
I'll get back to you once we try everything out.

Airbozo
06-15-2007, 03:49 PM
In that case you could go for the Access solution and use the export functions of the DOS based DB to export all data in comma delimited format, then import into Access. There is also a wizard to help with the import/creation of the new database.

It really is harder than it sounds though. If you decide to go the Access route, grab one of the access for dummies books, they are invaluable for noobs like me.

Luke122
06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I also have an access for n00b book. :D

Airbozo
06-15-2007, 05:02 PM
I also have an access for n00b book. :D

At one point I wanted to become an expert using Access, but quickly lost interest. No moving parts to fiddle with.

OvRiDe
06-17-2007, 06:48 AM
If you wanted to be adventurous, you could backend the whole thing in MySQL and use something like Dreamweaver to build a web based front end in php. With it all being web based, all the client pc's would need is a browser, and you could build all kinds of different reports to go along with it. Reports could be setup to output to Excel, CSV, or even PDF. Should even solve any printing issues as well. I have no idea what skill sets you have when it comes to the afore mentioned, but MySQL is a bit more robust when it comes to using it over a network and its being accessed by multiple users. Otherwise Access is probably your next best bet. Just my $.02 hope it helps.