PDA

View Full Version : why a separate hardrive for an os?

Spawn-Inc
06-15-2007, 09:31 PM
this is semi-related to os's but my question is as the title suggests.

1.why do/should you have a seperate harddrive for the os.
2. what is the best size/speed for the hardrive?
3. is just the os installed on it or the os and all the drivers and software?
4. can you recommend some hardrives good for this?

.Maleficus.
06-15-2007, 10:44 PM
1. Why not (sorry, I really have no good answer for that).
2. Size, smaller the better probably, don't waste your money on a 250Gb HDD when you'll fill a fraction of it. Speed, preferably faster, like 10k or if you can, 15k.
3. Personally preference.
4. WD Raptors, Hitachi (?) Cheetah, anything with a faster rpm, read/write, and seek time.

xRyokenx
06-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Certain programs use space on the main HDD for burning and such things, it's kind of dumb, that's why I have just one HDD with my OS on it and everything else. It's a pain, but that's the way it is...

Indybird
06-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Many people get a separate HDD that is much faster for the OS so it loads everything faster. When getting a fast hard drive look at: seek time (<6ms), RPM(7200+ RPM) and cache (16+ mb).

Hope that helps,
Indybird

EDIT: While I was looking at hard drives I noticed this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%201035407760%201035907918%20103550782 1%20103530091&bop=And&CompareItemList=N82E16822136012%2CN82E16822136011% 2CN82E16822136034%2CN82E16822136035). What's the difference between these four drives?

Spawn-Inc
06-16-2007, 01:22 AM
so if i get the 36GB raptor can i just install the os there and then install programs on my 250gb seagate?

.Maleficus.
06-16-2007, 10:37 AM
so if i get the 36GB raptor can i just install the os there and then install programs on my 250gb seagate?
Sure.

And Indy, the difference is 1 is the regular Raptor, 2 is the Raptor X (Raptor with a window and black paint), 3 is a regular Raptor in retail packaging, and the 4th is a Raptor X in retail packaging. 1 and 2 are OEM.

luciusad2004
06-16-2007, 04:13 PM
While the topic is open and in question i thought i would ask a lil something hear.

When it comes to OEM vs Retail, Is there really a reason to go with retail? Keep in mind I'm talking mostly about hard drives. Is there anything packaged with a retail hard drive that is necessary? What do i lose out on when i buy an OEM hard drive?

Thanks for any responses. : )

Outlaw
06-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Not necessarily hard drives, but generally, a retail comes in a fancy box and most times bundled software or drivers and maybe cables if the company is feeling generous. Not really sure what else there would be.

Spawn-Inc
06-16-2007, 08:02 PM
well unless it came with a $50 game or something (this particlar set of hdd's) then i wouldn just buy the hdd and no retail package. $40 is to much for a box, manual, and some cd's or cable.

luciusad2004
06-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Yea i was just wondering what you guys thought. I personally don't mind buying the cables separately especially if i could save some money.

Indybird
06-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Yep. But any other programs that require a lot of resources to load should be installed on there also.

Thats exactly what I'd do if I had enough money for 2 HDDs. Instead I got my slow-as-hell SATA HDD.

Nagoshi
06-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Personally I prefer having my OS and all softwares on the same hard drive. And I have a secondary drive for my files. In case I only have one drive (i.e. my notebook) I use the second partition for my files.

That way, if you have to format because of a virus or something else, you only have to format your main partition/drive, and you won't have to mess with program files on other hard drives. Also, if you get a virus, the contamination would be "maintained" only on the affected drive, which should be the OS one, so your files won't be infected (actually, they shouldn't... lol)

Zephik
06-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Would there be a noticeable difference by putting your OS on a 15k HDD?

.Maleficus.
06-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Compared to a 7,200rpm HDD? Probably.

intergalacticman
06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
separate hard drives are simpler i think, because if you use partitioning, you have to mess with the BIOS.

Outlaw
06-18-2007, 02:17 PM

There should be, but would you be willing to pay for the required parts to get it. As far as I know, SCSI is the only thing right now with 15K RPM drives. The cheapest SCSI drive was a 74GB at $144. SCSI card $25(Cheapest using PCI), SCSI cable starting at $20. Came quite a bit down in price since last time I saw(don't remember how long ago) but the size of that drive for the price to me isn't worth it. Minimum $220 to run 1 hard drive in SCSI. Prices were from NewEgg.

Outlaw
06-18-2007, 02:23 PM
separate hard drives are simpler i think, because if you use partitioning, you have to mess with the BIOS.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the bios to partition a hard drive(at least I never have). When you are installing windows, you can select how much of the hard drive you want to dedicate(partition) to the OS. For example: You have a 200GB HD and wan't to break it up, when installing OS, set 50GB for OS(Drive C:), and you can either partition the other 150GB or split it up further now or leave it and partition later.

This can also be done by going to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management(under storage), here it will show you your hard drives, cd/dvd rom drives, and any flash drive you might have installed. It will also show you any unallocated or unpartitioned space usually marked with a black line across the top of its window. You can also format the partition/hard drive from here.

Hope this helps.

Airbozo
06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Few notes:

Q: Why have an OS disk and an application/data disk?
A: Separating the OS and data gives you some degree of fault tolerance and some speed benefit. The way I would do it IF separating the disks would be to (this is my windows example, it gets complicated with linux/unix);
Use a small disk for the OS. Speed is really not that big of deal on the boot drive but a faster drive will _slightly_ speed up your load times. You would notice the difference IF you monitored it with a stopwatch. Divide the disk into 2 parts, one for the OS, one for the Page/swap file. The pagefile/swap file partition, only needs to be ~5gb (way over kill since you really only need ~3gb max) and use the rest of the disk for the OS. Once the system boots, it rarely if ever re-reads any driver or register info, since that gets loaded into memory. I would end up using the extra space on the boot partition for restore points and download files. Although it is better to quarantine downloaded files into their own partition (if you are a security freak).

The second drive I would also partition in 2 parts in case one is corrupted it will not affect the other (I rarely if ever follow this advice). You could then modify windows to install all programs on the second disk (a registry entry for default paths). The second disk is where you want your speed, since that is where you will see the most difference in load times and data access. (again it gets more complicated in linux if you follow all the "suggestions", just do a default install until you need to do something else).

Q: Would I notice a difference between loading the OS on a 7.2krpm and 15krpm drive?
A: Barely. Save the money.

Q: What is the difference between and OEM drive (no box) and retail?
A: Usually there is NO difference except you save a few $$. Some companies _used_ to offer only a 1 or 2 year warranty for OEM drives vs 3-5 for retail. I am not sure this takes place anymore. (at least I have not seen it)

Outlaw: You are right about the cost, _except_ a scsi320 controller (one you will need to realize the benefits of the 15krpm drive), costs more like $120 last time I checked.

One other option would be a SAS drive (Serial Attached Scsi). They are VERY costly right now. It is basically the 15krpm drive with a SATA controller onboard instead of SCSI. This drive requires a special controller (costly), and the drive itself is rather expensive (~$700 for 146gb)!

Outlaw
06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
With that controller I posted, like I said it was just the cheapest for what would be needed, not necessarily what you would want to use.

For your first part where you were talking about doing partitions with the page file, it would actually be quicker putting that on a different hard drive then the OS because even though it's separated, it's still on the same HD. What I learned in school anyways.

Spawn-Inc
06-19-2007, 12:39 AM
thanks for all the help ppls so +rep for that. i think i will stick with my 250gb for now then get a 500gb later on and then try installing the os on the 1 disk and other stuff on the other hdd.

Airbozo
06-19-2007, 04:21 PM
With that controller I posted, like I said it was just the cheapest for what would be needed, not necessarily what you would want to use.
Correct. The drive would function, but would actually be slower than the sata drive. Good example of the cost of ownership.
For your first part where you were talking about doing partitions with the page file, it would actually be quicker putting that on a different hard drive then the OS because even though it's separated, it's still on the same HD. What I learned in school anyways.

Yes this is also correct. The page file and OS would compete for the drive access, but _usually_ this is negligible if noticeable at all in real world practice. The whole goal of system tuning is to eliminate the need for a page file in the first place. With enough memory you could actually turn off the page file. I am not sure what fits windows would throw without a page file though. I will test later on my new workstation...

Outlaw
06-19-2007, 11:27 PM
If windows would throws a fit, you could just make it very small...but then there would still be one for the pc to access. just remove it and tell windows to f#ck off. lol

Airbozo
06-22-2007, 06:11 PM
...tell windows to f#ck off. lol

Is there a program I can install that would do that automagically?

:D

slytherock
06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Is there a program I can install that would do that automagically?

:D

Try an antivirus... :p

Is Windows a Virus?

* They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.

* Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Windows does that.

* Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Windows does that too.

* Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too.

* Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences:Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.

Drum Thumper
06-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Try an antivirus... :p

Is Windows a Virus?

* They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.

* Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Windows does that.

* Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Windows does that too.

* Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too.

* Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences:Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.

This sounds very much like a twisted version of Agent Smith's rant when he's all alone with Morpheus.

+Rep

Oh, and the cure? Linux!

Or a Macintosh.

slytherock
06-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Oh, and the cure? Linux!

Or a Macintosh.

Don't even think of Mac. At least MS dont claim Windows is the best OS in the world, they are just the most sold. Mac crash as much as windows, That's bull**** if some said no. I work on both (+Linux now :) ) and both crash (not Linux ;) )

Spawn-Inc
06-27-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.lindsaydigital.com/blog/images/microsoftResponds.jpg