PDA

View Full Version : Video card problems

Elenril
06-17-2007, 08:04 AM
This is going to be a bit long.

My computer has always been a piece of junk, and one particular problem that keeps cropping up from time to time is this:

Whenever I attempt to go to change any display settings, such as screen resolution, a little box pops up saying that C:/windows/system32/setup.exe (I think that's the right directory/file, I'm going by memory here) has had to terminate, and the system will shut down in 1 minute, followed by a countdown which counts down the seconds. Then it shuts down and restarts.

I had this problem when I first got my computer, but my dad did something to it and it went away. That was about 2 or 3 years ago. Since then we've been constantly upgrading different parts of hardware. Now he just bought me a new video card, which didn't work in my computer, so he put it in his computer and put the video card that was in his computer into mine. Suddenly the countdown problem comes back again.

I've taken the card out and now it's running very very slowly with plenty of lag from the video card built into the motherboard.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here, and how I could possibly fix it?

jdbnsn
06-17-2007, 09:50 AM
What model/brand video card is it?