PDA

View Full Version : I think it's a borked video card...

Bucko
06-17-2007, 09:42 AM
I wanted to try out Linux, so I've built up another PC from spares lying around. It's all screwed together, except I get no picture at all.
I've tried the DVI and VGA ports to no avail. It just says check signal cable on the screen.
The computer sounds like it is booting normally, I just get the one beep as normal and I can hear the HDD working, the USB mouse lights up, so I know it's getting that far.
The system is an AMD Athon XP2000+ on a Gigabyte Socket A GA-7VA board.
The video card is a Radeon 9550. The card is seated correctly and the fan on it spins. There is no power cables required for it and the MoBo doesn't use the 4 pin connector either, so I haven't forgotten them.
Unfortunately the MoBo has no onboard video, so I can't try that.

Am I missing something obvious because it's late and I'm a little tired?

jdbnsn
06-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Are there any PCI cards installed?

Bucko
06-17-2007, 09:55 AM
There is a PCI sound card.
I just removed it and video works! Thank you very much!
+rep

slytherock
06-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Now, you can try to reinstall the audio card on another pci slot. I was only a conflict betwin the vid card slot and your pci slot.

jdbnsn
06-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Had the same exact problem once, and doing as Slytherock said was the remedy.

Bucko
06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
The audio card isn't really needed. I just chucked it in there while I was building it up.

Zephik
06-17-2007, 12:57 PM
The audio card isn't really needed. I just chucked it in there while I was building it up.

lol you too huh? :p

The sad part is I later found out that my on-board audio is better than the audio card I bought. ><

We live and we learn. ^_^

Bucko
06-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I'll probably just end up using the onboard audio as I only need it for sounds within the OS. I have other PCs for music and video.
Besides, the onboard audio will keep it a bit neater once I start moddiing it.