PDA

View Full Version : Linux/Ubuntu Question

Omega
06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Actually, I've a few quetions.

First one is would there be any drivers for Ubuntu for my wireless card? It's a Netgear SRX400 something-or-another. Ill update this later.

Second one would be is there any dual-monitor support in Ubuntu?

Thanks,
Omega

(Oh, and I'm running the LiveCD for now, plan on dual booting soon though.)

Bucko
06-17-2007, 10:22 AM
this should be in the Operating Systems area, so I'll move it.

On a side note, I'm installing Ubuntu as we speak on my old PC.

XcOM
06-18-2007, 04:18 PM
dual screen mode is there, its part of the graphics driver you use, once you install your driver from Nvidia or ATI there should be a dual screen mode.

.Maleficus.
06-18-2007, 04:20 PM
1. Yes. It's a handy little program called ndiswrapper. It takes the drivers for Windows from your driver disk, and "wraps" them around the hardware in Linux. If you need help setting it up, shoot me a PM.

2. Yes. Once you install the video card drivers, you can do with it what you want.

Edit: XcOM you evil genius you beat me. Oh well.

XcOM
06-18-2007, 04:38 PM

Edit: XcOM you evil genius you beat me. Oh well.

why thank you for the complement my evil partner in crime!

NamesAreUseless
07-15-2007, 10:58 PM
isn't the beryl cube basically a multiscreen but its in a 3d cube form? like if you put part of the window outside of the viewable part of the screen and you turn the cube it would actually fold over to the next side?(beryl cube is a plugin/addon to linux)

.Maleficus.
07-16-2007, 10:59 AM
isn't the beryl cube basically a multiscreen but its in a 3d cube form? like if you put part of the window outside of the viewable part of the screen and you turn the cube it would actually fold over to the next side?(beryl cube is a plugin/addon to linux)
Yes and no. All Linux distros have "workspaces" which are just blank desktops (it's actually the DE that has them but whatever). With those, you can have say, one desktop for all your internet apps, one desktop for all your word processing, and you won't have 1 cluttered-to-hell desktop. Beryl is just a way of taking that concept, and making it fancy (and giving your graphics card some use, because it won't be doing much gaming if you're using Linux...) Without Beryl, it would switch to the other workspace, just not in the cool flipping form.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
07-21-2007, 05:24 AM
lolz and dont forget to point out u cant use beryl with ATi cards another thing.... it usualy (atleast with my systems (all ATi) does support dual screens.... just a rly stretched desktop lolz)