PDA

View Full Version : System Upgrade

simon275
06-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I am doing a system upgrade I am keeping case, optical drive, sata HDD but a new proc, ram, gpu, mobo and psu.

I figuered

Proc: 6600
Ram: 2gb DDR2 Corsiar
GPU: 8800gts 320mb
PSU: Seasonic 500w Modular
Mobo??

What motherboard would you guys recommend. I was looking at getting the Gigabyte 965P-DS3P(Pro). But then all these new Gigabyte P35 boards have come out so I am a little confused.

Bucko
06-17-2007, 10:27 PM
That is the same MoBo I just bought. I saw there were newer Gigabyte ones coming out, but it looked to have everything I was after.
It is a very overclockable board andhas some nice tools to do it with.
The only issue is the Northbridge gets VERY hot, and that's just with the system at idle with no overclocking. However there is a NBfan pin next to it and I just screwed a small fan on and the NB went from too hot to touch, to only luke warm.
If you get it I can send you a small blue LED fan that suits it perfectly.

The Black Pumpkin
06-18-2007, 02:44 PM
You're better off with the Gigabyte you picked. Only get a P35 chipset board if you're looking to spent exorbitant amounts on the new DDR3

.Maleficus.
06-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I had that board, and like Bucko said, the NBridge gets hot, and that caused mine to stop booting. I have a EVGA 680i SE SLI board and it's been very good for me so far. Very good OC'ing, SLI capable, dual gigabit LAN... the list goes on. I'd look at it before you buy the Gigabyte board.