PDA

View Full Version : BioShock

intergalacticman
06-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I read about bioshock in a gaming mag this week, and also like 3 months ago when they were just introducing it. It sounds like an excellent game (not better than crysis) and a want to get it. One problem, I heard its only for the Xbox360 :( . Does anyone know if it will come out for PC?

Also, it would be a cool short film if you put some Bioshock machinima to the sound of the Beatles "yellow submarine". kinda like how they did it for the Gears of War trailer.

HackSore
06-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I havent heard anything about it being xbox only.
i didnt even know it was going to be available for the xbox.

.Maleficus.
06-18-2007, 02:06 PM
PC Gamer did a special on BioShock, so yes, it will be on PC. Like HackSore, I didn't even know it was going to be on 360. It was originally a PC title.

Andr0m3da
06-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I watched a trailer and some gameplay footage of it not too long ago and it looks pretty great. I'll def. be purchasing it

xRyokenx
06-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Is it gonna be coming out for PC? Would be cool to play on there. If not, ah well, I can wait for my bro to get a 360 and play it there later on... it does look cool though.

EDIT: Should've read .Mal's post, lol. It's for PC, so that's gonna rock so long as I can play it on reasonably high graphics. If not, I can always lower the rez, hehe.

intergalacticman
06-19-2007, 11:57 AM
awesome!! im getting that game now

Vertigo
06-28-2007, 01:40 AM
http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/enter.html

There's a very good spread in Games For Windows this month, some info about the new weapons, etc. The game is shaping up to be seriously B.A.

xRyokenx
06-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Aww man, after taking a look at that site, that's gonna be fun. I love the whole "set him on fire and launch heat seeking missiles at him" example strategy. It's probably gonna be out for Vista only isn't it? If so, lame.

.Maleficus.
06-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Aww man, after taking a look at that site, that's gonna be fun. I love the whole "set him on fire and launch heat seeking missiles at him" example strategy. It's probably gonna be out for Vista only isn't it? If so, lame.
You said it. I've been thinking about upgrading to Vista before any more hardware just because most games coming out now are Vista only. M$ douche bags. There goes my next months paychecks.

Silenced_Coyote
07-26-2007, 03:52 AM
Vista only? What are you talking about? Just because they have the Games for Windows logo, doesn't mean it is Vista only. Though they did start that logo up for Vista's launch. Like Crysis and Bioshock can run on XP.

.Maleficus.
07-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Vista only? What are you talking about? Just because they have the Games for Windows logo, doesn't mean it is Vista only. Though they did start that logo up for Vista's launch. Like Crysis and Bioshock can run on XP.
Yep, I know that some games are still coming out for XP. But there are others (Halo 2 and Shadowrun for example) that are Vista Only. And I expect it to keep going that way. For a little while still they'll release games on XP too, but I highly doubt that by 2008 there will still be a lot of games new games running on XP.

Silenced_Coyote
07-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I'll pass on both of those games. Played the heck out of Halo 2 for the Xbox. Shadowrun doesn't look good in my opinion. I think you should start worrying when big titles are announced as Vista only.

solja
07-31-2007, 04:36 PM
wait huh? I thought Crysis was "Vista Only"?

Bioshock however is going to be AN AWESOME game I mean wow...

Silenced_Coyote
08-03-2007, 06:56 PM
wait huh? I thought Crysis was "Vista Only"?

Bioshock however is going to be AN AWESOME game I mean wow...

Well, there is a thread for Crysis, but I'll just answer your thing here. It is not Vista only. They have been saying for a while that they are trying to optimize the game so that it can play on 2 year old systems. Also, most of the footage they have released was in DX9. Here are the system requirements posted on crysis-online (http://www.crysis-online.com/Information/System%20Requirements/).

And yes, Bioshock is amazing too. When I thought I couldn't get more excite about Bioshock, I was wrong. Came home one day and saw a package on the front door. Open the package and the letter says "Welcome to Rapture" at the top. I just won an enclusive Bioshock t-shirt from this contest (http://blogs.ign.com/Irrational_Games/2007/07/17/60576/) they held.

Silenced_Coyote
08-14-2007, 06:15 PM
So who has downloaded the Bioshock demo for the xbox 360? I don't have a 360 and was sad when the PC demo was delayed...

Vertigo
08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Retail tomorrow, I decided to reserve the special edition from Gamestop. Wee, I'm excited.

Airbozo
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
FYI, the Bioshock pre-order version comes with BF2 for free...

Bioshock looks like a nice game, Too bad I won't have time to play it anytime soon. Oh well, next year it will be discounted...

I also looked at the Crysis pre-order and I am pretty sure it said vista only. I will double check when I am back at fry's this week and snap a photo with my phone (they chase you out if you snap photo's with a real camera...)

Spawn-Inc
08-21-2007, 03:25 PM
the preorder for crysis better not be vista only, though by then i plan to have it so who cares...

i have started seeing the bioshock commercials and it looks not hlaf bad, i might have to pick up a copy.

Mitternacht
08-21-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm grabbing the demo right now; 1.35 gigs on Xbox Live

Mitternacht
08-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Damn good game. Whoever has Xbox Live, download this demo. It's free, and this game is gonna soar to the top on its release week.

Vertigo
08-22-2007, 10:24 AM
I got my copy of Bioshock on my lunch break yesterday, i'm installing it now. Unfortunately, I got the Limited edition with the figure, and his drill bit was broken off as soon as I opened the package. The actually packaging around the statuette isn't opened however, so I'm hoping that today I can get Gamestop to fix this or get me going on getting this fixed. As for the game itself, I can't freakin wait. Oh, and the pre order I purchased didn't come with BF2 ... but it did come with some rebate codes for crap I don't need. Lame.

xRyokenx
08-22-2007, 03:02 PM
I watched my neighbor play it for a while, and it is one f'd up game... just to let you guys know, lol... interesting though.

Mitternacht
08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Here's probably the sickest trailer I ever seen.

WARNING: This following trailer is not for you if you cant take blood. Don't watch at night.

9KG3krtXwi8

Airbozo
08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
FYI, the Bioshock pre-order version comes with BF2 for free...

My mistake. Call of Duty Airborne pre-order comes with BF2...

I'll try to keep it right next time... :lick: ;)

(damn, too many games and too much work...)

Spawn-Inc
08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
wow, that video was awesome. i don't understand what he injected and how a some flies/bugs fly out and hurt the other guy but it still looks good.

Vertigo
08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
God the graphics are sweet, that's running on Windows XP, with 2 gigs of ram, an AMD 4600+ Dual Core, and BFG 7950 GTX. I can only imagine how this will look once the new system is put together. I am kinda curious if PhysX chips will have any effect on the game, I've noticed a lot of environmental particles and things you can knock around. If you liked FEAR, definitely get this one.

Here's some pics:
http://digitalzoetrope.com/files/screenshots/bioshock/001.jpg
http://digitalzoetrope.com/files/screenshots/bioshock/002.jpg
http://digitalzoetrope.com/files/screenshots/bioshock/003.jpg

Zephik
08-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Damn, I've seen trailers for this game before, but I still can't get over how freaking awesome this game looks! ...if only I had a 360. :(

...lol yea yea, I haven't bought one yet. Bite me. :p

Spawn-Inc
08-22-2007, 05:18 PM
why it will be better for pc.

Airbozo
08-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Veritgo, resize that image or I will have to take it down.

But it IS cool!

BTW, how do you like your 7950?

Vertigo
08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Got a couple more screens today, freakin creepy game. Fixed it and made them links hosted on my site rather than img links. As for the 7950, I have the big dual 7950 card in my main machine right now, and I like it pretty well honestly. Each card's running a monitor and the performance has to this point been top notch. I have an eVGA 7950 GT in my second computer, honestly they still hold up pretty well graphic wise. FYI, the environmental detail in this game will blow you away ... and there's enough gore here for a Lucio Fulci film

Pointy_Stick
08-22-2007, 09:00 PM
I got my copy of Bioshock on my lunch break yesterday, i'm installing it now. Unfortunately, I got the Limited edition with the figure, and his drill bit was broken off as soon as I opened the package. The actually packaging around the statuette isn't opened however, so I'm hoping that today I can get Gamestop to fix this or get me going on getting this fixed.

2k Games is aware of this, and will be sending details on how to get it replaced shortly. You can read more here:

Joystiq Article (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/21/what-to-do-with-a-busted-big-daddy/#comments)
Officila Bioshock Site (http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/busted/)

public_eyesore
08-25-2007, 12:13 AM
My cousin has it and I played for about 4 hours and so far all I can say is "it's got nothing on half life 2"

Zephik
08-25-2007, 01:10 AM
This game must be freaking AMAZING with a High Definition video/audio setup. True Hi-Def too, none of that 720p crap or whatever. lol

Spawn-Inc
08-25-2007, 01:22 AM
This game must be freaking AMAZING with a High Definition video/audio setup. True Hi-Def too, none of that 720p crap or whatever. lol

can you get "high def" with a 22" lcd monitor and 8800 card? or is it only high def with a lcd or plasma tv?

Zephik
08-25-2007, 02:11 AM
can you get "high def" with a 22" lcd monitor and 8800 card? or is it only high def with a lcd or plasma tv?

Good question. I'm not sure when it comes to LCD monitors. Comparing my 42" plasma TV with my 17" LCD, I would say that my LCD looks better than my Plasma. So I would only assume that LCD's are better than 720p, which is my Plasma TV. But, I have an off brand Plasma, so its a tough call.

I'm just going to say that a good LCD is just as good as a good 1080i HDTV. Maybe a little worse, but it can't be by much. If at all? Hmmm, I wonder, are LCD's only limited to their graphics cards? Probably not. I feel confused now. lol

You know what, forget it. LCD is better than 720p, but probably not as good as 1080i. With a 22" LCD and a 8800 card, you shouldn't even be able to notice the difference if you were comparing it with a 360 on a true HDTV. Even on a CRT, I bet this game is still amazing.

Spawn-Inc
08-25-2007, 02:19 AM
better be otherwise i will be wasting close to 3k... though i'm not just building my first rig for that game alone.

Mitternacht
08-25-2007, 10:34 AM

Actually, my 20" monitor, the box it came in said 20" HD Widescreen, so I guess it could be hi-def, or it means it displays hi-def resolutions.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/24-116-066-12.jpg

NamesAreUseless
09-04-2007, 07:21 PM
If you have steam, you could download the free trial. but it turns out my comp cant handle the graphics, let alone run the game.

BerticusPryme
09-08-2007, 11:50 PM
my heart goes out to all of you who cant play the game because it is wonderful. I mean I like fps and all but this is just wow. I really am having fun with it and would highly recommend it

Indybird
09-09-2007, 12:04 AM
I beat the game a week ago :p. Great game, but the evil ending is kinda lame. I'm actually replaying it on Xbox 360 and doing the "good" ending so I can get the 100 point achievement.

The game is great, runs perfectly fine @ full graphics, 1680x1050. It must be very well optimized since my graphics card seems a little dated with many of the newest games.

-Indybird

Airbozo
10-03-2007, 06:41 PM
I recently got this game also and it runs OK on an ATI 1650 pro, although I would love to have a better system at home. Also my system here at work only has 1 pci slot, right next to the video card. If I put my audigy 2 in that slot, the vid card overheats after about 2 minutes of playing any game. So I will not be able to get the full 5.1 sound effects until I build my new home rig...

I give it; :up: :up: :up:

Vertigo
10-03-2007, 11:44 PM
The only major problem I have with this game is the use of Securerom, I absolutely hate the fact that companies are using these methods "to stop piracy" and inconveniencing legitimate customers. If I pay for it, and want a copy at home on my main rig and another on my laptop to play with between classes, it shouldn't be a problem. But, with Securerom, I have to uninstall it from my main PC and install it to my laptop in that order or the game is locked and I can't play it anymore at all ... Give me convenience, or give me death.

Beyond that, helluva a game.

Airbozo
10-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I also believe that you should be allowed to play the game on any system you want. You should be able to install it 100's of times, BUT only be able to play one install at a time no matter where you are. Thanks for treating me like a criminal after I purchase your product...

I also think that it would behoove companies to allow multiple instances of a game on a _local_ network. Delta Force (the original) would allow you to install on any machine, but if you did not have the CD in your system, it would only allow you to connect to a multiplayer game on your local network on a server that did have the cd installed.

Until there is backlash from enough people, there will be no change to the draconian policies.