PDA

View Full Version : won't boot.

Spawn-Inc
06-19-2007, 11:35 PM
ok so i have an old computer and it was on during a storm and the power went out (not surged) for a second and it restarted and when it booked back up it gave a blue screen and said UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME with a bunch of stuff under it like

if this is the first time restart yada yada yada

then it said if you installed new hardware (which i didn't) then uninstall it.

anyhoo i've had this happen before (or thats what my dad says) and it's resolved it self iver time. i was never there to see it happen. so i was messing around in bios and i started to overclock the cpu to see what would happen and i went from 100MHz (not the total what gets multiplied i think) i went to 105 then restarted and it said it was 1.68GHz. then i went to 110 and it said 1.76GHz. then i for a laugh i set it to max at 200 and it won't load up now, anything. what happened and how do i fix?

i'm thinking i have to pull out the battery for a couple of minutes.

Edit 800th post !

Bucko
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
I've had that bhappen before on my AMD Athon. I removed the battery for a while and disconnected the PSU, then booted it up again.
some boards will revert back to stable setting in the bios if it doesn't boot 3 times in a row too.

Spawn-Inc
06-19-2007, 11:49 PM
ahh i only tried to boot up twice. i will go try a third else take the bat out. thanks for fast reply

ps. nice 7th rep box, i guess now that minty's gone ur hogging'em all

Bucko
06-19-2007, 11:50 PM
It may take the 4th boot to actually work after 3 failed boots.

I panicked a little when it happened to me. Then removed the battery when I calmed down. It was after a few boots it came good, then I got out the MoBo manual and saw the 3 failed tries reboot thing and it was all good.

Spawn-Inc
06-20-2007, 12:07 AM
well i've ended up trying 6 times i think. right not the batt is out and psu unplugged. also did you put the battery back in before you booted up or after it was fixed?

Bucko
06-20-2007, 12:08 AM
I put it back in before I booted it.

Spawn-Inc
06-20-2007, 12:30 AM
ok so taking out the battery worked so thanks for confiriming that + rep. now the other more important(now ayway) problem. i get this message any idea what to do?

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/5186/2864268180100511463S600x600Q85.jpg

hmm now that i've just fully read that i am gonna try pressing and try to enter safe mode that way instead of letting it go to that

Safe mode
safemode Network
safemode (whatever it says)

Last know good.

Start Normal

Luke122
06-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Father in law just had the same error on his PC. SMART monitoring gave an error code 7.. dying hdd. However, you can get the same error from a corrupt sector.

If you can get to safe mode with command prompt, try running a chkdsk /f.

If not, you'll need to boot with another CD, and try some hdd utils. Spinrite is a great one.

Spawn-Inc
06-20-2007, 01:40 AM
what would happen if i turned off SMART in bois would it boot then? and once i learn about Spinrite which version should i use 5 or 6?

Cannibal23
06-20-2007, 10:50 AM
you may also get this error message when a portion of your file system is damaged. wich in this case makes sense. when a pc is powerd off improperly it may be in the middle of a disk write or some other state that could cause file system corruption. if you have another pc, i would try this.

take the drive out of the one that your haveing an issue with and hook it up as a seccond drive in another pc. preferably something thats running an opperating system thats about the same age. so putting a 2000 drive into and xp box will still work. anyways. boot the machine and run a scan disk. on the drive. let it fix whatever errors it finds. put it back in the machine you were haveing trouble with and see if it boots (try safe mode first). if that dosent work out let me know as i have a seccond solution for you as well

The Black Pumpkin
06-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, it's most likely corrupted Windows. I did the same kind of thing to mine, accidentally. I had to reinstall, but try Cannibal's stuff first.

Cannibal23
06-20-2007, 01:02 PM
if my previous solution dosent work, there are still some options that you can do using the windows xp or 2000 cd depending on wich one is installed (im assuming this is xp) try the previous fix and if it dosent work let me know and i will step you through the other solutions.

.Maleficus.
06-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Let me be the first to say that you should NOT go for the max FSB, even if it is just for laughs. That, is a very bad idea.

Spawn-Inc
06-20-2007, 06:07 PM
well i can't bring the hdd to another computer becuase my only other working computer is sata. but i do have another black ide so i will install windows xp on that then do a scan disk on the one thats not working.

Cannibal23
06-21-2007, 12:38 AM
the other pc your talking about that has sata. does it have a cd / dvd drive? if so you should be able to use that cable for your hard drive. just unplug the cd /dvd drive (WHILE THE PC IS OFF) and plug your problem hard drive in there.

another option is to try booting from the cd and going into the recovery console. it will ask you wich install of windows to enter just take the default as you probably only have one. it will then try to load anything it cant from the system. if it drops you to a command line try typeing fixboot and then hit enter. once its done try booting up your pc.

if when you choose wich install to use your pc reboots or blue screens on you then your only option is to do that scan disk like i said. failing that then its time to reinstall windows. hope this works out for you dude. this is basicly the crap that i deal with at work on a day to day baisis and some times you get lucky and can recover with a little leg work but some times your not so lucky.

Spawn-Inc
06-21-2007, 01:08 AM
oh ya the dvd drives, ohwell to late i've installed windows xp on a old hdd and am in the process of the scan disk. so +rep for the idea and if it doesn't work then its for dealing with this crap all the time. i don't know why but on this new hdd its really really slow. can a hdd make that much of a difference? if so then i might have to consider a raptor for my new computer when i build it.

Spawn-Inc
06-21-2007, 03:37 AM
well after all this installing (for some reason took 2 hours) and scan disking its fixed and i'm even writing this on the now working hdd. so thanks for the help all. and what the heck a round of +reps for ALLLLLLLLLLL

Cannibal23
06-21-2007, 10:35 AM
awesome! im glad its fixed for you dude. nothing more annoying then haveing to reinstall windows and then all your programs and then all your settings and then figure out what data your missing ... the horror!!

to answer your question about if a drive can make a speed diffrence. it can make a huge diffrence. basicly its the choke point on your pc. so everything to do with it can make a diffrence. how fast the platters spin, the ammount of cache it has. what kind of cable is plugged into it. all these things can have a serious effect on the performance of your machine.

ps whats the deal with +1 rep i keep seeing arround. that wasnt going on when i used to be here all the time.

Spawn-Inc
06-21-2007, 01:28 PM
its a rep system see how i have 4 green boxes, and i you have 1. its just a way to let people know whos helpfull and whos not. if you hit user cp it tells you how much you have and where you got the rep from.

here is a better explanation (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7313)

moon111
06-21-2007, 03:54 PM
I've come across this dozens of times. Usually it's a messed up file system or BOOT.INI file. I google'd to find a good step by step to follow. The following is copied from pchell.com.

Follow the steps below to correct these file system issues:

1) Start your computer with your Windows XP CD-ROM, or with Windows XP boot disks
2) When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to Repair the installation using the Recovery Console
3) If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation you want to access
4) Type the administrator password when you are prompted, if no administrator password is set then just press Enter
5) At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /R and then press Enter
6) Once CHKDSK has finished checking and repairing the hard drive, type EXIT and press Enter to restart your computer

http://www.pchell.com/support/unmountablebootvolume.shtml

Hopefully this solves your problem.

Cannibal23
06-22-2007, 09:24 AM
a reputation system to see whos helpfull eh. man mine should be up there from back when i used to be on here all the time. i even wrote an article on tips and tricks for working with plexiglass thats stickied in the tips section of the forum.. its been viewed by like 16000 people or so. hahahaha oh well i guess i missed alot cause i have been away for so long