PDA

View Full Version : Moddeling board.

will.
07-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I was wondering about the moddeling board used in a lot of Crimson's mods. It seems to be a plastic of some sort, like a high density polystirene. Is that correct? Or is it just cardboard and i'm thinking to technical?

Also, I started a mod on my case, and its going well so far but I am about to go into finer details, one reason for the board, but I also need some much-easier-to-work-with bondo/filler. I live in the UK, so brand names are not going to be much use to me unfortunately, but I was wondering if there was a scale of thickness that is universal so that i can at least go hunting for some in my local auto shop. Or are you just able to dilute the stuff somehow to make it thinner?

Thanks for any advice.

Will..

will.
07-14-2005, 07:05 AM
bumpety bump bump

Malatory
07-14-2005, 09:07 AM
styrene plastic. Get it at your local hobbie store.

will.
07-14-2005, 10:58 AM
thanks for that.

thrillho
07-14-2005, 02:42 PM
any where on line to find a guide on how to work with styrene... is it tough to work with? Im starting to get excited about the possibilities before i even know how to use it.

sXenoG
07-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Yea there is i believe its www.plastruct.com has small tutorials on the stuff. Also I found a ton of stuff by typing in "how to + styrene plastic" man o man i found some starwars geeks (sorry but they are) who make AMAZING scratch built models. They get into fiber optics, spend a year on 1 model obsessive but very talented.

Just do some google searches i was surprised that i found so much on the stuff. I just got some but havent had the time to use it. Hopefully the end of the month i can start on my mod. Anyways hope i was a lil help, but yea just do some google searching its not hard to find.

Also on a side note: Two major manu's are evergreen and plastruct, crimson in his pics had plustruct on several packages so i of course got that. If you're planning to get ALOT of plastic check out www.towerhobbies.com. The plastic doesnt cost much but unfortunately i foudn out they have a flat sipping rate and the shipping cost me close to double what hte actual plastic cost. (also it was cheaper online then my hobby store just killed me with the shipping)

will.
07-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks.

The uk sucks for finding this stuff, I just did some searches and they only want to sell it in huge quantities. bah.

sXenoG
07-14-2005, 07:53 PM
welcome i dont kno if tower ships internationally but you can check that out if u allready havent. Its good stuff i got it its realyl cool i find it surprising that a hobby knife is used to cut the stuff. Its rather flexible and sturdy to my surprise as well. But yea anytime with the help.

crenn
07-15-2005, 08:33 AM
sXenoG, can you post a link to those star wars geeks building those models from scratch?

will.
07-15-2005, 11:49 AM
I found a uk supplier and to my supprise its the local post office....

strange but true.

Crimson Sky
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM
I get my styrene in large sheets from www.usplastics.com. Anyone needing some more help and inspiration, try The Star Wars Model Shop (http://www.starwarz.com/modelshop/index.htm)

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 04:02 PM
thats the star wars geeks I was talking about lol :P Now i gotta check out that usplastics.

Edit: Do you use plastructs styrene much or do you just buy stuff thats not plastructs off usplastics? I saw some styrene on there but not sure which is hte good stuff. Perhaps a direct link crimson(of course if its not too much to ask)?

Crimson Sky
07-15-2005, 04:22 PM
thats the star wars geeks I was talking about lol :P Now i gotta check out that usplastics.

Edit: Do you use plastructs styrene much or do you just buy stuff thats not plastructs off usplastics? I saw some styrene on there but not sure which is hte good stuff. Perhaps a direct link crimson(of course if its not too much to ask)?

I buy large sheets of styrene (48x96") from USplastics because its the same stuff thats diced up and packaged by Plastruct for resale---at a much higher markup. they sell two 9x12" sheets for about $8

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=76&product%5Fid=3008

I use plastruct architectural parts for scratchbuilding, or even Evergreen Scale Model brand.

High Impact Styrene Sheet 48x72" (they will roll up the thinner stuff, but must cut in half (2x 48x36 sheets)the thicker stock for shipping) I use all thicknesses in the shop.

From US Plastics:

.040 Thick sheet: $11.14
. 060 Thick $16.42
.080 Thick $31.17
.100 Thick $38.82

and so on

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks appreciate that link muchly I saw that but the picture didnt look like the stuff at all to me.

Ill prolly be ordering some at the end of the month to start my first case mod.

Anwyas thanks again, from a major fan :p (arent we all major fans tho :D )

MisterChief
07-15-2005, 11:13 PM
www.guillow.com sells model building boards. They are balsa workboards, however, and I think the largest is only 48"

Crimson Sky
07-17-2005, 10:22 AM
www.guillow.com sells model building boards. They are balsa workboards, however, and I think the largest is only 48"

he wants (plastic) board stock that you use for building models not a surface board for pinning parts to the table top :p

UK-Blade
07-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Will

I found someone else who sells the Evergreen and Plastruct range of styrene sheeting. You can find them HERE (http://www.expotools.co.uk/)

Think I might start a new thread, see if we can gather a list of UK suppliers or quality modding equipment.

MisterChief
07-17-2005, 10:08 PM
he wants (plastic) board stock that you use for building models not a surface board for pinning parts to the table top :p
:p Ah. Well, you know, if you ever need to pin stuff to your board, there ya go :)

will.
07-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks Crimson and UK-Blade and all of u other guys, u have been a great help.

and UK-Blade that sounds like a good idea, its always hard to find more obsure materials in the UK.

edit- Wow, that site is an awesome find!! Brilliant job.

Hyginkz
07-21-2005, 11:05 AM
If you want something a little easier to work with than bondo, try spot putty from an autoparts store. It is a one part putty used to fill small dings and it sands pretty easy.

will.
07-22-2005, 09:44 AM
thanks, i will keep an eye out for it.

crazybillybob
08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Check the Local Sign shops. Most of them use ABS, and Styrene. You can get smaller pieces that they have or if you know the thickness you need and plan on using allot order a 4'x8' sheet (normally cheapest option) I think I paid like $20 a sheet for 0.04" white styrene. You can order it cheaper online but shipping normally kills you. This is a good local source.

Crazybillybob