PDA

View Full Version : Saw some reviews

sXenoG
07-13-2005, 06:48 PM
anyways my PSU went out the other day so i got the enw unltra xconnect cuz iunno i liek the cable management as many do. When i tested the computer, the mobo was shot too. So i decided to start a for hte most part new rig and get SLI the works. Well neways i saw reviews that the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe can use the standard atx power supplies even tho it requires a 24pin cable. Does anyone know if doing this is actualyl bad for the mobo. And if it will still be SLI ready if so. Im willing to return the psu for an SLI certified 1 but i dont really wanna if i dont have to.

timmer
07-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Well I don't think you need to have a SLI certified PSU unless your running a SLI setup. I was looking into x-connect power supplys, but I've heard bad things about them. I chose a OCZ ModStream instead.

sXenoG
07-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Ive heard bad and good about them and i think you're right ive been doing a lil more research. But since im planning on doing sli in a month or 2... might as well get ready.

Aero
07-14-2005, 12:04 AM
x-connect are really cheap for a 450 watt right now from www.xoxide.com. I was thinking about getting one becauseI can't afford anything too expensive.

timmer
07-14-2005, 12:19 AM
If your going to be doing a SLI setup in the near future there's no point in getting a normal psu now then buying another one (unless your loaded and cant find anything else to spend your money on, and if that is the case, you can donate to my pay pal account ;)). So here's a link to SLI certified psu's. http://xoxide.com/sli.html Start reading about every single one. Hell even make a chart on a piece of paper with watts, price, and pro's and con's if you want to. I'd spend a lot of time reading up and making sure you make the right choice, casue if the psu dies and fries your stuff, your going to be paying a lot more then you wanted to.

sXenoG
07-14-2005, 01:45 AM
lol my psu did die and fire thats why im going thru all this now and getting this new stuff and no there is no point. i might be going to frys tomorrow to get a new PSU my dad wants me to save the xconnect but i dont think an 90$ psu is worth saving if im not gonna be using it or seeing it. BTW thanks for the link really appreciate it and ive been doing lots of research, to get the system im setting up now seems ot be best for the money other then the 3500+ i got that just to outdo my friend. plus i heard the venice core was overclockable and people were getting 3500+ up to 4000+ specs with stock cooling the .09nm transistors are NICE lol(hear pentium is comming out with .065 nm but im no longer a pent fan)

sXenoG
07-14-2005, 02:35 AM
Ive been looking at this stuff like crazy.. Perhaps do you have ne reccomendations im seeing alot of praise on the S12-600 Watt but man such a hefty fee on this stuff im hating sli cuz of how expensive this crap is lol. Im gonna hate it even more next year when sli is going for 50$ each haha technology my love/hate relationship.

Malatory
07-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I use the Antec NEO 480W with my Asus A8N-SLI Delux and with 2 6600GT running in sli mode. system runs fine. I am also one to say stay away from the X-connect PSU as 2 out of 3 friends on mine have had to replace there systems that have had that PSU. along the same lines like you are doing now.

SLI needs at least 480W.

timmer
07-14-2005, 02:54 PM
sxenog, you should get the new 7800gtx instead of sli :p

sXenoG
07-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Lol screw that timmer. Getting the SLI will let me upgrade for a little while into the future.

And I was planning to return that PSU today but when i woke up i couldnt find the invoice anywhere i found an old reciept that was stapled to the invoice so it looks like my parents may have thrown it away :( but they never short change me so if they threw it away they'll prolly make it up to me somehow.

Sounds like im doing the same setup as you malatory (Asus A8N with 2 eVGA 6600gts) so ill take a look at that psu. Just in case i dont see anything do they have that psu in 500+watts and where did you get yours? Newegg?

public_eyesore
07-14-2005, 04:08 PM
why would you get 2 6600gts and not just one 6800 gt? That way you get the same performance and you can just get another 6800gt in the future?

sXenoG
07-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Cuz 2 6600gts cost nearly the same as a 6800 and on benchmarks that setup out performs the 6800gt. The 6800 only begins to outperform substantially on higher resolutions, and im only going to be running at 1024x768. I also read an article that the 6600 has all the same features just runs at a lower clock speed but I not so sure if that holds true. But if it is true i plan to overclock so hey its all just trial and reasearch on my end. I feel until the 6800 lowers in price i dont feel its worth 6-800$( have seen some for 250$ but not but manus i like. and they are on agp) to sli those things.

Also ive also seen a few good reviews about the Antec True Power 2. Looks ugly but its cheap and could always be painted. Curious if anyone has had experience or could reccomend it to me as to i really am not looking to pay 150$+ just becuz nvidia said ur certified so they slapped on an extra 75$

timmer
07-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Well if your going to paint a PSU be careful when your opening it, casue if the capacitors are still charged and you touch it, good luck.

Aero
07-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Well if your going to paint a PSU be careful when your opening it, casue if the capacitors are still charged and you touch it, good luck.

people keep saying this about Monitors and now PSU's? I have taken apart multiple PSU's without any problems what so ever.

Unplug the PSU from the wall then hit your power button, it SHOULD discharge any remaining electricty. If you have LED fans they will light up for a split second.

sXenoG
07-14-2005, 07:49 PM
I actually allready painted 1 b4 and didnt even kno what a capacitor was at the time. Nothing happened luckily but now ill be more careful.

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Well going to frys tomorrow i found my invoice so hopefully i can get a descent SLI psu, seems to me that all the sli certified psu's have good reviews so ill see when i get there what i want. I might end up just returning my psu and ordering 1 from xoxide. Has anyone ordered from xoxide? do they have good service? They have better prices on the psu's there then newegg :eek: .

timmer
07-15-2005, 01:21 AM
I've bought from xoxide. I got it in two days via ground too (although they are located near Philly, and I'm outside of Pitt). I envy you that you have a Fry's. Closest "computer store" (aka not BB or CC) is like 40 miles away :/

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 01:36 AM
lol donnt envy me :P the frys i live by is a lil over 50 miles lol. I like the drive tho since i got my liscence a lil under a year ago, its kina of nice being able to drive further and further i am lucky tho considering newegg is 45min away from me and their standard shipping i get the next day :p