PDA

View Full Version : Strange Windows installation problems

Elenril
06-24-2007, 04:59 AM
I just reformatted my hard drive, put in the new graphics card and reinstalled Windows XP. It was working perfectly until I installed Service Pack 2. When I restarted the computer, it never got past the Windows loading screen. I restarted several times, still with no progress.

I'm reinstalling Windows again now, but I don't want this to happen again, does anyone have any ideas what might have happened, and how to avoid it?

SgtM
06-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Sounds like SP2 got messed up somehow. Check out www.nliteos.com to make your own slipstreamed version of XP with SP2. You can also make the installation completely silent/unattended. Good stuff.

simon275
06-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Walked through a few fixes with Elenril.

Turning off other things on startup doesn't fixit this is before sp2 installation.

I think this may be her problem. But since she cant even get into safemode

http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm#Data_Execution_Prevention__DEP_

A guide on how to do it through plugging the drive into another computer is supplied here http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm down the page a bit.

But it is a reasonably large undertaking.

Does she even need SP2?

Cannibal23
06-24-2007, 01:14 PM
yes you need sp2. it has too many security and bug fixes in it to not get it. in my experiance it may fail on one install and then be fine on the next. if it fails next time just boot off the windows cd and choose repair. it should over write the base windows files but not any of your data. and then you can try installing sp2 again

jdbnsn
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
If those don't fix it, I would recommend swapping out the new vid card with the old (or using on-board), see if that helps. If so, continue with updates, uninstall the video drivers and try again.

Eclecticos
06-25-2007, 06:17 PM
If those don't fix it, I would recommend swapping out the new vid card with the old (or using on-board), see if that helps. If so, continue with updates, uninstall the video drivers and try again.

If I had a quarter for every time thats been the fix. . I'd have Millions.

. .of Quarters

Nagoshi
06-27-2007, 08:36 PM
yes you need sp2. it has too many security and bug fixes in it to not get it. in my experiance it may fail on one install and then be fine on the next. if it fails next time just boot off the windows cd and choose repair. it should over write the base windows files but not any of your data. and then you can try installing sp2 again

Like I say : Each new installation of Mocrosoft Windoze is a new adventure...

ahh, the good old times trying to install Windows 98 SE on a computer , ME on another and XP on another, and all three were failing... then the next day everything would be perfect.

HAve you tried installing XP, then don't install your drivers yet (Except for the ethernet, unless you have SP2 on a CD), and install SP2, then go for the drivers?

Luke122
06-27-2007, 09:31 PM
I've never had an SP2 installation fail. Ever.

That being said, I agree with the "remove video card" option.. doesnt hurt to try, and it's faster than a reformat and reinstall....

Elenril
06-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks for your help guys, right now I'm running Windows without SP2. I plan on installing Linux anyway, so Windows will just be my backup if Linux fails. I don't have the internet on my computer at the moment either.

Will I need SP2 if my main OS will be Linux?

Luke122
06-28-2007, 12:55 AM
SP2 can fail and prevent you from entering into safemode if you are using a cracked version of XP. ;)

Elenril
06-28-2007, 08:21 AM
SP2 can fail and prevent you from entering into safemode if you are using a cracked version of XP. ;)

Me? Run a cracked version of XP? Never! *shockhorror*

Nope, mine's completely legit, I haven't activated it yet though.

xRyokenx
06-28-2007, 12:05 PM
From all my experience with computers, while not as much as some but a helluva lot more than others, I have learned that Windows is quirky. My wireless card sometimes doesn't connect so I have to set a manual IP and then revert back to the "acquire network address" or whatever thing. Try little stuff like that, I had a defective USB keyboard and had to go into the BIOS and exit without changing anything so that the thing would work every time I would boot my PC. Experiment around, but be careful, some stuff could harm your PC (duh).

In other news in this completely unrelated to anything to do with this thread (methinks), when I installed my new motherboard and video card I had to reactivate Windows over the phone, what a pain in the arse. I had to say a 54 digit number to a machine, then to some Indian woman (who thankfully had a lighter accent than most and could understand the weird one I've developed (or not developed) from living all over) and then she repeated one back, oh joy. /irrelevant tangent and/or rambling

Congrats on not pirating though... *left out do to touchiness of this whole subject and all that* ...good luck with the whole thing, Windows is a annoying when it messes up.

Okay, I'm done rambling now, seriously. *Hits "Post Quick Reply before he can think of anything else to "ramble" about* ...and no I'm not being hard on myself for those that think I am, just have bad habits and all... Gah! Rambling again! :D

SgtM
06-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Will I need SP2 if my main OS will be Linux?

Short answer.. no