PDA

View Full Version : several Vista problems

AKA_RA
06-25-2007, 03:07 AM
im running windows vista home premium 32-bit and im having some rather annoying problems with it.

first off and im having some rather odd problems with an external harddrive. Ive got this cheap laptop to usb adapter with a nice little case, but the drive doesnt show up. it was working fine yesterday when i plugged it into my roomies xp box but today when i tried to plug it into my vista machine it just did nothing. the little light on the drive adapter turns on, but i hear nothing and see nothing on Vista.

ive been having other troubles with vista concerning firefox 2. it always asks permission now whenever i start firefox, and sometimes it doesnt load for 20 seconds or so. other times it loads instantly like it used to. i would reinstall but i dont wanna lose my bookmarks, and i cant seem to find the right bookmark html doc in vista. ive also tried changing the permission in every way i can think of, though the account im using already has admin permissions.

another interesting thing that i noticed was a seemingly emulated cdrom drive. i tried uninstalling it, but it always comes back and things like KOTOR wont run cuz securerom or whatever doesnt allow emulators, which im not even using for the game. i think it might be left over from an old installation of daemon tools, so i tried installing it again, but it just added another drive, which i can remove at least. i looked all over the registry and the program folders, but i cannot, for the life of me, figure out what software controls that mystery drive. i even tried using the things on daemon tools that hide the emulated cd rom but no results.

theres one last thing with Vista im hoping someone out there can help me with. ive tried really hard, ever since i got Vista, to make it not suck so much. its nice and all, but...i dunno. im not that happy with it.

any help on any of the above mentioned problems would be much appreciated. i have a feeling the drive is dead, or just really screwed up. as for the OS itself, i figure my best bet would be to reinstall Vista, i just dont want to. its a bitch

Redundant
06-26-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't have Vista, but anyways....

first off and im having some rather odd problems with an external harddrive. Ive got this cheap laptop to usb adapter with a nice little case, but the drive doesnt show up. it was working fine yesterday when i plugged it into my roomies xp box but today when i tried to plug it into my vista machine it just did nothing. the little light on the drive adapter turns on, but i hear nothing and see nothing on Vista.
Does it use an external power source? If not, it might not be getting enough power from the USB plug. Try unplugging unnecessary USB items. If that doesn't work, I can't help you. See if you can try it again on your friend's WinXP PC too.

i would reinstall but i dont wanna lose my bookmarks, and i cant seem to find the right bookmark html doc in vista.
Getting your bookmarks out of FF is simple:
-Click Organize Bookmarks in the Bookmarks menu.
-In that new window: File>Export...>Save it. It will be saved as an HTML file; you might have to write .html at the end of the name though.