PDA

View Full Version : Heres why you don't buy Prebuilt Computers

Indybird
06-25-2007, 05:00 PM
I was curious about how much money building a custom computer saves you over purchasing a pre-built. I was really quite suprised by how much:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Indybird/DontBuyPre-Built.jpg
Check newegg, that parts list is exactly the same if not slightly better. Look at the price difference!

Moral of the story: Take the time to build your own computer, its far cheaper. If you don't know how then take an online tutorial: there's a million of them.

Hope that enlightens someone,
Indybird

EDIT: I understand this site is all about custom computers, but I thought this would be interesting anyway. Besides, there are still some people on here who buy prebuilt. :eek:

Drum Thumper
06-26-2007, 02:06 PM
I have to agree with you on the money saving aspect, but lets say your average person (i.e. NOT COMPUTER LITERATE) decides he or she's gonna buy a computer. Now, if you were in their shoes, would you:

A: Build from parts, not knowing what you are doing, and run the risk of screwing something up?

B: Buy a prebuilt, and pay the extra (In this case roughly $350) for tech support, peace of mind and no bloody knuckles?

Indybird
06-26-2007, 06:32 PM
I have to agree with you on the money saving aspect, but lets say your average person (i.e. NOT COMPUTER LITERATE) decides he or she's gonna buy a computer. Now, if you were in their shoes, would you:

A: Build from parts, not knowing what you are doing, and run the risk of screwing something up?

B: Buy a prebuilt, and pay the extra (In this case roughly $350) for tech support, peace of mind and no bloody knuckles?

Thats why I said take a tutorial or even just get the parts and have them assembled at you local computer store for like $75 w/ warranty. Its still cheaper by a mile...

Zephik
06-26-2007, 08:22 PM
*Edited*

Sorry about that, I misunderstood the point of this thread. I was thinking of everyone other than ourselves, but I didn't realize there were people who didn't know just how much cheaper it is to "do it yourself".

Indybird
06-26-2007, 09:36 PM
I was kinda aiming this thread at people on here...

Spawn-Inc
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
when i first started wanting my own computer when i shopped for parts and built it myself it was always double the price. but it was becuase i picked better parts i guess. it was always 1000+ for any computer i built. even now it is, but its beucase i want a good computer.

radar
06-27-2007, 03:39 PM
yup thats why i built a custom computer because of the cost. not only the cost but also you get to pick with more of a selection and its a good hobby.

Luke122
06-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I agree with Minty on the warranty/support issue. The average person who buys a Dell (yes, I have 4 dells.. calm yourselves) usually doesnt know enough about computers to build their own, so they certainly might need that warranty and support.

slytherock
06-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I tried to build some rigs for friends who don't know a thing about them. Knowing that I can get the best with less money. The problem is that I know too much some times: I cant build cheap rigs :(

DaveW
06-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I think by 'cheap rigs' sly meant he couldn't let someone buy say a AMD3000+ When the core duo is only like $30 more...false economies and all that.

You need to get to a middle point. :)

-Dave

Luke122
07-03-2007, 04:00 PM
On the topic of pre-builts vs custom builds, I priced out a new mail server @ Dell today. Xeon 5130 proc, 4gb ram, 2x 146gb 10krpm SATA hdd's in raid 1, dual 1gb nics, = $3202 CAD.

Similar build (almost exact specs) from Memory Express = $1734.60

Differences? Dell has a 3 yr warranty, and the MemEx components all only have 1yr manufacturers warranty. Is that worth $1500 to you? Not me.. ;)

On the flipside, check out the Dell XPS M1310. SEXXXY doesnt begin to describe it. LED backlit screen, optional solid state hdd, under 4lbs! Might have to get one of those too.. wife has pretty much laid claim to the XPS M1210 already..

Drum Thumper
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
A prefabb'd computer with the horsepower we like to have, is going to cost a considerable amount more, than if you buy the parts and do it yourself.. To me this is pretty elementary, in a lot of different aspects..

I think the key reason people like to buy a prefabbed PC is they like the security of knowing it will power on and work the way they would like, and if it doesn't, then they can lean on a warranty, or coverage on their purchase... The cost these days, to me at least, is closer in range than it used to be. Parts to build it yourself were pretty pricey compared to what you would pay for a Packard Bell or Compaq, but then again who remembers when the 133Mhz machines with 16MB or RAM cost $2200? :D I know you old timers can do better than that too heh heh

-J

My first computer (486SX25, 4 megs of memory and a huge 100 meg hard drive, along with a 5 1/4" floppy iirc) ran me about $1500.

Then I turned around and dumped around another $700 into it (another 4 megs of RAM, the co-processor chip and a Creative 4 speed CD ROM/sound card combo kit).

So all told, $2200, give or take.

And FWIW, I hated that machine. Very glad it went to data heaven.

Xpirate
07-03-2007, 09:44 PM
My first computer (486SX25, 4 megs of memory and a huge 100 meg hard drive, along with a 5 1/4" floppy iirc) ran me about $1500.

Then I turned around and dumped around another $700 into it (another 4 megs of RAM, the co-processor chip and a Creative 4 speed CD ROM/sound card combo kit).

So all told, $2200, give or take.

And FWIW, I hated that machine. Very glad it went to data heaven.

Sounds like my first machine, except mine was a 486 DX2 66Mhz with a 420 MB hard drive. Bought it used for $1000 and had to put stuff like a modem and CD-ROM in to it.

I bought a prebuilt Gateway a few years ago just because I thought I was getting more for my money. That machine has done nothing but piss me off. They used sysprep to install XP which has provided lots of weird software problems. I would reformat the drive and install XP pro, but I have some software on it that I've lost the CD's for.

I won't ever buy a prebuilt desktop machine again. I'm still trying to get over the shame of buying one from Gateway.

Drum Thumper
07-09-2007, 03:46 AM
I won't ever buy a prebuilt desktop machine again. I'm still trying to get over the shame of buying one from Gateway.

I'll never say never. Ebay has occasionally delivered for me. My fileserver originally came off of Ebay. Cost me a total of $35 with shipping.

.jrauck
07-26-2007, 12:38 AM
What about computers from Dell for this cheap? Bet you cant beat this... (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/handheldsquirl/CheapDells.jpg) Plus you can get another gig of ram free.

Im still a fan of building computers :) I built mine... as well as probably everyone on here.

slytherock
07-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Im still a fan of building computers :) I built mine... as well as probably everyone on here.

I always build my work stations. But for my HTPC, kitchen computer and other low needs computers; I only do upgrades once in a while. Why pay more when you can have a little compaq for less then 200$ (OS Included) that will do the job for internet, music and Movies?

Scotty
07-26-2007, 05:14 PM
It is crazy i always find £150-£300 price diferance, but if you look on eBay there are some good ones, but then the thing that worrys me, what PSU does that have... do i want to spend an extra few hundread £ on a PC that has high end components and then a week and unstable power supply? No. Thats why i build PCs now.

.jrauck
07-26-2007, 09:50 PM
I always build my work stations. But for my HTPC, kitchen computer and other low needs computers; I only do upgrades once in a while. Why pay more when you can have a little compaq for less then 200$ (OS Included) that will do the job for internet, music and Movies?

Ya I couldn't agree more. If your into gaming and such I guess its another story...

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2007, 11:45 AM
I don't buy pre-built because I find too many good-for-purpose ones dumped on the street and the only hot machine I want is mine and I want to know where every damn screw in the thing is.

haha49
08-05-2007, 01:43 PM
A prefabb'd computer with the horsepower we like to have, is going to cost a considerable amount more, than if you buy the parts and do it yourself.. To me this is pretty elementary, in a lot of different aspects..

I think the key reason people like to buy a prefabbed PC is they like the security of knowing it will power on and work the way they would like, and if it doesn't, then they can lean on a warranty, or coverage on their purchase... The cost these days, to me at least, is closer in range than it used to be. Parts to build it yourself were pretty pricey compared to what you would pay for a Packard Bell or Compaq, but then again who remembers when the 133Mhz machines with 16MB or RAM cost $2200? :D I know you old timers can do better than that too heh heh

-J

i still have a magaizen were that is a steal compared to the price in it.. its 1mb is 879.99 :p