PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass Coffin.

flayedchild
07-14-2005, 03:35 AM
This is my first post, so I wanted to say hello to everyone.
I have been doing a bit of research into plexi cases. I have yet to come across one that dosent have right angles.
What I am looking to do is to make a Clear coffin case.
This is the shape I am going for:
http://www.kprf.ru/clipart/misc/coffin.jpg

My question is this, is it resonable to try to join plexiglass edges at such angles? and if so, what is the best way to do that.

Thanks in advance.
-FlayedChild

will.
07-14-2005, 07:07 AM
why not make the sides using one peice using line bending and then you only have one edge to fix. and then i'd use a cement and try and weld it together. Possiby using heat..

flayedchild
07-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Line bending... afriad I havent run across that... I have googled around a bit, but to no avail. Could you point me in the right direction to a good resorce? Thanks for the help mate.
-FlayedChild

will.
07-19-2005, 12:45 PM
In your case you would get a lng peice of acrylic plastic and make sure that its length is equal to all the sides of the cofin shape, maybe a bit bigger.

Then made a jig (kinda like a template) that is the same shape and size of the case that you can bend the plastic arround. Go to a hardware shop and look for a line bender, if you can;t find one you can use a paint stripper i suppose but its harder.

Then heat up the acrylic along a line where you want the bend to be and fold it arround the wooden jig. repeat this for all the edges and leave to cool.

voila!