PDA

View Full Version : Suspected bomb defused in London

DaJe
06-29-2007, 04:09 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06/29/london.bomb.reut/index.html

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- British police say they have defused a bomb in central London.

Explosives officers were called to examine a car parked in The Haymarket, a busy street in the heart of central London's theatre district, early on Friday morning, London police said in a statement.

"They discovered what appeared to be a potentially viable explosive device. This was made safe," they said, adding that counter-terrorism officers were investigating.

A police spokesman confirmed the device was a bomb.

The device was found in the week that a new prime minister, Gordon Brown, took office in Britain.

Police responded after a member of the public reported a suspicious vehicle shortly before 2 a.m. (0100 GMT).

The street was sealed off while police investigated and was likely to remain closed for the foreseeable future, they said.

The nearby Piccadilly Circus underground train station was open, but exit restrictions were in place, the police said.

Fifty-two commuters were killed by bombs on London's transport system on July 7, 2005.

gaz_the_chav
06-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Sorry but I have to say it it:

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

-gaz

Ironcat
06-29-2007, 08:15 AM
See? That's why I never post links, just cut and paste the story but leave out that little italicized line at the end...

AJ@PR
06-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

True...
Ironic that it's a Reuters' copyright, yet in a CNN site.

In any event, I'm glad nothing happened in London.

DaJe
06-29-2007, 03:57 PM
There was more found.

As authorities were investigating an explosives-packed car discovered outside a nightclub near Piccadilly Circus on Friday, a second vehicle was found in London that had similar explosive material inside, security sources said.

The second car had been parked underground near Trafalgar Square in an area where parking was not allowed.

Workers towed it to a lot on Park Lane near Buckingham Palace and thought it smelled of gasoline. Given the reports that gas canisters were among the explosive material found in the other car, they became suspicious, security sources said.

Authorities then blocked off a section of Park Lane while they examined the car and discovered the material.

The sources did not say exactly what was found in the second car, but a U.S. source with knowledge of Britain's investigation said the second vehicle is linked to the first.

Earlier Friday, a section of Fleet Street also was cordoned off briefly, then reopened without incident.

Inside the first car near Piccadilly Circus, a device was found to be loaded with fuel, gas cylinders and nails, said security sources, and it was set up for remote detonation. (Watch police describe potential blast Video)

Security sources said that the "relatively crude device" contained at least 200 liters, or about 50 gallons, of fuel in canisters.

Police said the car was found shortly before 2 a.m. Friday and deactivated. The device could have caused huge numbers of casualties, police said.

British police anti-terror chief Peter Clarke said detectives were examining security camera footage for clues to the driver of the vehicle.

The incident renewed fears of a terrorist strike almost two years after London's transport network was hit by suicide bombers.

Security sources with knowledge of the investigation said a cell phone was found as part of the device, but it was not immediately clear whether it was to be used as a detonator or timer, or in some other way. The sources said the device was apparently set up for remote detonation.

Clarke said the car was first discovered when a quick-thinking ambulance crew noticed it was filled with smoke outside the popular Tiger Tiger nightclub.

Explosives officers discovered the fuel and nails attached to a "potential means of detonation" inside the vehicle. Officers "courageously" disabled the trigger by hand, Clarke said.

"Even at this stage it is obvious that if the device had detonated, there could have been severe injuries and loss of life," Clarke said. He said it was too early to say who was responsible.

Witness Daniel Weir said he was walking home from work when he noticed police had cordoned off the area around the nightclub and a nearby vehicle.

He snapped several photos, including one that showed a canister labeled "patio gas." (See the photos)

"If I known what was actually ... going on, I don't think I would have been hanging about," he told CNN hours later.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, appointed two days earlier in a transition of power seen as a potential spur for extremists to mount an attack, said the incident was a reminder of the dangers facing the country. (Full story)

Brown, whose predecessor's support of the Iraq war provoked anger among Islamic militants, said Britain faced "a serious and continuous threat" and the public needs to be alert at all times.

The incident came a little more than a week before the second anniversary of July 7, 2005, when four Islamic extremist suicide bombers killed 52 people and injured hundreds more on London's transport system in the deadliest strike on the city since World War II.

lominono
06-30-2007, 12:12 AM
doesn't britian have something like 15 cameras per head? because I read a story where they are asking if anyone saw anything??? why... just look at the video.

but good job to the person who called in the smoke from the first vehicle and the cop who defused the bomb.

Helix666
06-30-2007, 02:38 PM
why... just look at the video.

Yes, but Iominono, that would make sense, and save time.
And we can't have that can we?

gaz_the_chav
06-30-2007, 04:15 PM
doesn't britian have something like 15 cameras per head? because I read a story where they are asking if anyone saw anything??? why... just look at the video.

but good job to the person who called in the smoke from the first vehicle and the cop who defused the bomb.

Nah the report is that Britain has more of an eye on the public than New York does and that is across Britain lol thats alot of cameras and they have microphones :)

-gaz

lominono
06-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Nah the report is that Britain has more of an eye on the public than New York does and that is across Britain lol thats alot of cameras and they have microphones :)

-gaz

OH YEAH, I heard about that. where the cameras talk back to you.

you're just walking along and throw a candy wrapper on the ground than all of a sudden "STOP! YOU JUST COMMITED A CRIME AGAINST MOTHER EARTH!" -sirens in the distant-