PDA

View Full Version : Painting case

leo6969123
07-14-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm new to modding. I've done things like windows and lights.
I'm thinking for my next case doing a zombie theme case.
My question is how can I paint my case to look like it has been buried
with dirt still on it. I not the best painter any help would be great.
Thanks

timmer
07-14-2005, 11:30 PM
What I'd do is spray "dirt" (just do blotches of brown on the case) and dont do a clearcoat. But I'm still in the planning stages of my first mod, so I'd ask some of the experts around here.

sXenoG
07-14-2005, 11:57 PM
You sound like me timer im planning mine as well im on my 3rd different case mod idea. I just cant get myself to start.

MrSlacker
07-15-2005, 12:20 AM
when it rains, go outside and dig up some wet dirt. then throw it on your case. when its covered in it, put it in the oven at 400C for about 40min. then take it out and enjoy a perfect dirt mod!

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Im thinking you should try out the method that was used to make the rocky base on the doom3 case while just refining the process a little.

But then again you did say paint so that method probably wont suit you.

dafatkid
07-22-2005, 11:03 PM
you could also used a spray adhesive and build up layers of ripped up foam then paint accordingly.

Malatory
07-23-2005, 10:49 PM
I would look into the rock molds. Or you can look at the different types of train scenery. They do sell rocks and stuff that looks like grass. You might be able to glue that on the case and get close to the effect you want. Plus if you use the rock molds 1st you can get an idea ahead of time if it will work or not.

Aero
07-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Or a little trick I have come up with, if you want small sections with a texture, try mixing some saw dust into your paint and then paint with a brush. For dirt you would proboly want a good amount of dust and then glob it on or smoth it out some up to you, and maybe a clear coat over it. I haven't really used it for dirt, but it make very convincing rust. For dirt also try to get a light brown and then dry brush some dark brown over it.

but if you want large sections of the case to have large bumps and clifs/ridges I would say go witht he rock molds that other people have suggested, they are about $8 at a hobby shop.

leo6969123
07-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Thank you for all the ideas. :)

sXenoG
07-26-2005, 07:56 AM
anytime I think most people on here enjoy helping those in need :)

NetSapiens
07-26-2005, 10:17 AM
other texture items which work really well:
sand, bird foods, spices (nothing says mod like oregano), birdcage sand (seems to be a mix of shells and sand, and is quite good)

Aero
07-26-2005, 12:13 PM
spices (nothing says mod like oregano),

But remember, your computer case is NOT edible.

MAPolley07
07-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm working on painting my case, it is my first mod, and I am going for a mirror showcar finish. Yours will probably be much easier. Sand your case first with like 220 grit sandpaper to get a good surface to paint on. Maybe use primer if you desire. I would try using textured spray paints. Rustoleum makes many textures, and if they don't have the colors you want, paint over the textured paint with regular. you can always use layers to get the look you want