PDA

View Full Version : G5 or G7

B1Gtime
06-29-2007, 05:58 PM
im deciding on a mouse.

I saw the G7 on newegg.com, looks pretty cool and wireless. I never had a wireless mouse, how are they(is it a pain in the neck to change battery or charge)?

I have the G5 right now, and i love it. Just wondering if i should get another G5 or G7.

Which one should i pick?

Spawn-Inc
06-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Logitech MX Revolution!!!!!!!!!!! thats what i ended up with becuase there was no stock on either of those mice. had there been stock i think i would have gone for the G7.

for me here are the postives
G7 - extra battery

G5 - that little weight tray

i can't think of any negatives on the spot now but i think i would rather have the extra battery on hand. i mean if i really wanted the mouse heavier i could add weight myself.

B1Gtime
06-29-2007, 06:12 PM
The G7 is in stock now and has the weight tray just like the G5

Zephik
06-29-2007, 06:21 PM
I love wireless mice, I haven't had a wired mouse in a pretty long time. They aren't a pain or a hassle at all, if you get the good ones at least. The best way to tell if a wireless mouse is a good wireless mouse or not is to just read the reviews off of newegg.

I would give you a list of some good wireless mice, but newegg isn't loading for me correctly or even at all for some reason. But don't really pay attention to the DPI or if its laser or optical, just look at what looks best to you and which ones have good reviews.

btw, the battery life for wireless mice range anywhere from two weeks (bad mouse) to a year. I don't have a gaming wireless mouse, but my battery life usually lasts for at least two months with heavy usage.

Outlaw
06-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan on a more mobile pc, the wireless would make more sense. If you are a gamer, the G5 would make more sense. You wouldn't have to worry about a battery dying in the middle of a game. Again, I personally think it all depends on what your doing with them.

B1Gtime
06-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Using it Mostly for Gaming and Internet

Spawn-Inc
06-29-2007, 06:38 PM
The G7 is in stock now and has the weight tray just like the G5

oh it does? then deffently go with the G7. when i was referring to stock i meant at a local Canada Computer. and i don't think they even sold one of them. so i just went with the MX. it was weird at first the way its shaped and all but i really like it now. i just wished i waited a bit longer until i got it because it went on sale after.

I love wireless mice, I haven't had a wired mouse in a pretty long time. They aren't a pain or a hassle at all, if you get the good ones at least. The best way to tell if a wireless mouse is a good wireless mouse or not is to just read the reviews off of newegg.

I would give you a list of some good wireless mice, but newegg isn't loading for me correctly or even at all for some reason. But don't really pay attention to the DPI or if its laser or optical, just look at what looks best to you and which ones have good reviews.

btw, the battery life for wireless mice range anywhere from two weeks (bad mouse) to a year. I don't have a gaming wireless mouse, but my battery life usually lasts for at least two months with heavy usage.

it should alst 2 months?!?!? i've never actually tested mine fully when i wasn't using it i left it in the charger. though i remember going a week without charging and it still had 2 bars /3

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan on a more mobile pc, the wireless would make more sense. If you are a gamer, the G5 would make more sense. You wouldn't have to worry about a battery dying in the middle of a game. Again, I personally think it all depends on what your doing with them.

true but the G7 has an extra so you can pop in a fresh one and only die once ( while changing the battery)

Outlaw
06-29-2007, 06:38 PM
In that case, I would get the corded, just because I don't like have to pay for all those batteries and worrying about when it's going to die on me.

**EDIT** Since Spawn posted at the same time as me again...lol

If you think about it, G5 $46(US), G7 $72(US) on newegg. Now you have to buy batteries a few times a year. To me it doesn't make sense if the mouse is going to stay stationary. And you probably dont want to by the walgreens brand batteries either. To me it's not worth the extra money PLUS batteries

Spawn-Inc
06-29-2007, 06:44 PM
G5, G7, MX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010290065%2050001080%201083607056&bop=And&CompareItemList=N82E16826104015%2CN82E16826104191% 2CN82E16826104203) there is neweggs comparison it that helps any. though i'm sure you have looked at it. this would be my choice of the three/two
MX, G7, G5.

B1Gtime
06-29-2007, 07:16 PM
I think im going with the G5, the G7 is a little expensive at the moment.

Ok since i got that done with, i been looking for a good wireless keyboard on newegg, any suggestions on which one?
If i cant find a good wireless keyboard i think im going with the Saitek.

.Maleficus.
06-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Bah get the MX Revolution! Look at that price! It's 50% with the rebate! If I had $50 right now I'd order it so fast.. but I just bought a new amp...

Edit: Plus, it just looks so much cooler.

Spawn-Inc
06-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Bah get the MX Revolution! Look at that price! It's 50% with the rebate! If I had $50 right now I'd order it so fast.. but I just bought a new amp...

Edit: Plus, it just looks so much cooler.

and who doesn't want a gear changing alloy metal wheel?! i sure love mine.

http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/4046/2496627760100511463S600x600Q85.jpg

go with this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126008) hahahaha it goes with the MX revolution. not sure about what wireless keyboard's are good, so i would go with saitek since its good for gaming. i went with a logitech G15 though since i don't really care about wires. i don't have a big enough monitor to sit back far enough that a wire won't reach.

moOmL
06-30-2007, 01:17 AM
I spent $100 on the G7 mouse when it came out. Maybe its just me, but i really don't like it and regret spending all that money.

After awhile the battery slowly dies and doesn't keep the mouse going for long enough. I've had to switch over to an extra wired mouse that was laying around.

The G7 is cool and really nice, but would be 100 times better if it wasn't wireless.

Spawn-Inc
06-30-2007, 02:38 AM
as much as i don't want to stray from logitech i think if i were to go with a non-logitech i would get this mouse from OCZ (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ocz_peripherals/ocz_equalizer_laser_gaming_mouse). its got 2500DPI and a "triple Threat button" its the orage key next to the left click that when pressed is like pressing the left click 3 times really fast, good for fps games.

Indybird
06-30-2007, 03:18 AM
The OCZ mouse didn't get that great of reviews compared to other mice. I am getting the MX revolution sometime soon, cause I am tired of my crappy MS Wireless mouse. Here are the best gaming mice as far as I've seen:
-Logitech G5
-Logitech MX1000 (If you can still find one)
-Logitech MX Revolution
-Logitech G7
-Logitech MX 518 (510 if you can still find one)
-Razer Deathadder
I absolutely love the MX 1000, and so do many,many other people. If you can find one on ebay or anywhere I'd probably go for that...

As far as wireless keyboards go, unless you want some basic MS board w/ media controls or a Media Center Keyboard, I would not go with wireless. I would recommend the Logitech G15 (Greatest keyboard Ever), Saitek Eclipse I & II or Logitech G11.

-Indybird

The boy 4rm oz
06-30-2007, 03:34 AM
I have a G7 (the new one, carbon fibre) and I love it. It has two batteries and they don't take long to charge at all. I change about every 3 days depending on what i'm doing. If you already have a G5 stay with it cos it is a really good mouse and exactly the same dimensions and standard weight of the G7.

BTW the battery of the G7 weighs about as much as the G5's full weight cartridge.

B1Gtime
06-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Well right now im looking at the MX Revolution and the G5. What does that alloy wheel do on the side of the MX Revolution? I know the G5 has the 1 button on the side.

Spawn-Inc
06-30-2007, 10:20 AM
i don't know why they call it a wheel, its only half of a plastic wheel. it can do 2 things. the "stock" setting is document flip (alt+tab) and the second is a zoom feature.

doesi87
06-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Get a Revolution, it's a very nice mouse. Own one myself for about 2 weeks now and have to say it is really great. The battery is okay, lasts about one week with massive use. But it is fully charged in less than an hour, so no problem. The ergonomic design is really great and the gear changing wheel is nuts. First it is very wired to use but after a short time you will love it. It changes the gear automatically depending on your scroll speed if you want to. Just great. And besides that is is simply looking great on your desk:)

moojoe
06-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I own both the G5, G7, and the MX, while I love the MX most, I also do more business work, and thus it comes in use.
out of the g7 and g5, I prefer the g7 by far. the latancy difference between the cord and the wireless is close to none, so unless your doing professional, you wont notice it, the cord always gets in the way for me, but thats how I feel about all corded mice. the weight tray on the g5 is pretty cool, but doesnt stump the wireless feature on the g7.
the g7 does not contain the weight tray as said, instead of the tray, it has a battery tray. contrary to what someone said though, you do not need to buy batteries for it, it comes with two quick charge batteries and a charging station with a usb port for the receiver, only taking one usb port on your compy. (the receiver can also work without the recharger, and since its the size of a key, it makes it great for laptops) the batteries last for 10 hours about, but changing them is super easy, and I've changed them multiple times during games with no interuption. it takes less then five seconds to change the battery, and the mouse works right away, you dont need to re-sync it.
I would say go for the G7, its a wonderful mouse, if I did more gaming, it would be my favorite by far. its extremely conveinent for both laptop and gaming, and not having the weight tray is no big deal since while the weights are nice, the G7 is weighted perfectly anyway.

Spawn-Inc
06-30-2007, 12:52 PM
the g7 does not contain the weight tray as said, instead of the tray, it has a battery tray. contrary to what someone said though, you do not need to buy batteries for it, it comes with two quick charge batteries and a charging station with a usb port for the receiver

thats what i thought at first, buty then i thought they might have changed it around a bit.

B1Gtime
06-30-2007, 08:56 PM
After a few months do the batteries on the G7, lose some of there power(do they last as long as they did when u first got the mouse?:?

The boy 4rm oz
07-01-2007, 09:16 AM
@B1Gtime - I wouldn't have a clu because I have just got my G7.

The new G5 now has two buttons on the side, one for forward and backwards instead of the defult single button of backwards.

B1Gtime
07-01-2007, 09:19 AM
This one:
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8248/8248942_sa.jpg
I like this one but its not on newegg, BestBuy has it for $70 i think.
I just saw a video on the G7 and it looked pretty cool, so im thinking going with the G7, i just want to know if the batteries lose there power(do they last as long as they did when u first got the mouse?

The boy 4rm oz
07-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah that's the one.