PDA

View Full Version : CTRL + F11 not working?

Zephik
07-03-2007, 04:12 AM
I'm trying to "CTRL + F11" my Dell Inspiron 9200 Laptop, but it doesn't seem to be working? I was under the impression that you could do this on any Dell system, which has been the case up to now. Does this not work on Dell Laptops? or did they stop enabling this option at some point in time? or maybe just for my model?

I've searched through page after page after page of information and support and haven't been able to figure it out. So as a last result before I whip out the Ubuntu CD, I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows anything.

Is there any other way to restore a computer to it's "out of the box" state other than "CTRL + F11" on boot?

Thanks for any and all help, I appreciate it!

Eclecticos
07-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Have you Tried Delete or F8? . .I think it's F2 for Inspirion.

Crimson Sky
07-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Try the DELL function key instead of ctrl.

Zephik
07-03-2007, 09:10 AM
I just thought about something. I'm not using the keyboard on my laptop, I'm using a wireless logitech keyboard. Maybe that has something to do with it? It's hard to say for sure though, because it still functions and works as soon as I hit the power. Hmmm. :think:

oh by the way, I can't use the keyboard on my laptop at the moment because Commando has it. lol so don't think of me as an idiot for not trying that, its just that I can't. But I'm going to say that using a wireless keyboard isn't the problem because it is responsive throughout the loading process. But who knows, I've been wrong before.

F2 just takes me to the options menu or whatever you call that, I forget. I forgot to try F8 so I'll do that now. I'll also try the function key instead of the ctrl key on this keyboard, maybe that will work.

Yea, I tried every combination of keys I could think of. No response. This entire laptop is all factory still too, nothing has been changed. Starting to make me wish I had an HP, at least they don't hide the restore option like dell has/is. Pff, you can probably overclock those too, if only a small overclock. Thats another thing thats really annoys me, I can't upgrade my processor. It's a 479 pin Pentium M and you just can't find those damn things anywhere, and then the ones you can find (ebay) are 1.6 just like mine. So that leaves you the options of overclocking it, which would be great, except dell decided to not have that option at all what-so-ever for whatever dumb dumb reason. /rant

Greco101
07-03-2007, 06:46 PM
for my hp is was f10

Eclecticos
07-03-2007, 06:57 PM
So. . your not trying to restore factory defaults in the Bios?
Hook up a Keyboard with a cord. Your Lappi may not be set to enable usb devices at boot.

Greco101
07-03-2007, 10:44 PM
You can try downloading WipeDrive (http://www.whitecanyon.com/index.php). let it run over night then throw in your xp disk.

I've never owned a Dell but from what I understood, there is a separate OS disk for reformatting. It says on the disk, "The software is already installed on your computer. This cd is only to reinstall the OS on your dell PC."

Zephik
07-05-2007, 02:06 PM
You want to restore the PC to the way it was out of the box - out of the factory, right?

Bingo.

I'll try using just F12 here in a second, I hope that works.

**F12 is boot menu**

And to respond to your comment:

Dell PC's are entry level user's type of computer.

The less options to mess with in something like the BIOS, the less opportunity there is for someone to bork it, and have to get it replaced. Dell's have _never_ been OC friendly. Ever.

-J

Right, the only people who buy dells are people who aren't all that knowledgeable about them. ...so why have it disabled? The only people who know about overclocking are advanced users. Most people don't even know what a bios is or how to get into it. If they are worried about "accidents", well I'm sure there is a way to "hide" the overclocking options from everyone BUT advanced users.

But oh well. It is how it is and thats just that. Nothing I can do about it unfortunately.

btw, I THINK I've heard some rumors about the new Dells having OC options. Might or might not be true, idk. Sure would be cool though!

Redundant
07-05-2007, 05:26 PM
btw, I THINK I've heard some rumors about the new Dells having OC options. Might or might not be true, idk. Sure would be cool though!

If they made all Dells overclockable, then they would need better heatsinks on the chipset and probably more powerful PSU and mosfets on the mobo.

I'm pretty sure the gaming XPS desktops can be overclocked but I would have to check.

EDIT: It appears one version comes factory OC'ed implying that they are indeed OC'able (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720h2c?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs). (Actually, they plain out say it is overclockable.)

As for there notebooks, they are not OC'able but I'm really "diggin the style" of the XPS M1330 (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn).

Drum Thumper
07-10-2007, 03:50 AM
EDIT: It appears one version comes factory OC'ed implying that they are indeed OC'able (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720h2c?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs). (Actually, they plain out say it is overclockable.)

Interesting. Personally, I can somewhat see why they are doing this--ultimately, it will benefit the modding/OC scene, if you will.

But still, it seems to be the equivalent of taking a set of bagpipes deer hunting--extra baggage.

It is nice, however, to see Dell responding to its buying public.

Luke122
07-10-2007, 12:56 PM
That XPS M1310 is seeeexxxxy. I wish I would have waited an extra week before buying the XPS M1210. Oh well.. once I pay this one off, I'll get the M1310 too.

To reply to the OP, from the boot menu should be an option to restore.. whether it's to boot from the recovery partition or something..

Also, you can try pressing F7 on startup.. that has accessed utils and restore options on some of my Dell's around here. <-- I just checked this out on my Inspiron 8600, and it's actually F12 on here. From the boot menu, there's an option for diagnostics. Inside of there is the restore option. Unfortunately (or maybe it's for the best) I've already toasted the drive on this thing and completely rebuilt it, including tossing all the partitions. Luckily I've got all the MS software I need to rebuild it. :D

XcOM
07-11-2007, 03:30 PM
i know this sounds stupid, but you have enabled the recovery option havent you?

Look in the BIOS, theres always an option to "Enable F11/12 Recovery mode"

also make your you haven't formatted the hard drive, if you have you might have killed the hidden partition which hold the GHOST image.