PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi FPS

.Maleficus.
07-03-2007, 07:57 PM
I recently started playing my games again. And it made me remember how much I loved HL2. And FPSs in general. So I started looking around at some other games, and I don't know what I want. I really need some recommendations, because a lot of you are more avid gamers than I am. What I've been looking at:

STALKER
Quake 4
FEAR
Prey
SiN Episodes: Emergence

I need more suggestions. I don't know what to get. What I'm looking for in a game: Good graphics, smart AI, not too short, decent physics, good storyline, multiplayer (maybe), and not Vista only. Yeah, I know, that points me straight back to HL2, but I've beaten it before, and I can only play it so many times before I need a break. So, what do you guys recommend?

Spawn-Inc
07-03-2007, 08:50 PM
well those first 3 are really good, doom 3 was also good. now as for more games... i'm not to sure right now i will go look and see what i like.

Crysis, my god that looks freaking sick! i'm deffently going to have to get that.

while its not a FPS (its a third person view) it looks pretty good.

Cagedconnerman
07-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Unreal Tournament!!!

jdbnsn
07-03-2007, 09:45 PM
If you are into war games you may like ARMA, it's like a FPS conquest game. I didn't like it too much, but I have heard alot of others rave about it.

.Maleficus.
07-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I have Doom 3 and UT (and both are great). I've looked at ARMA, but it got a pretty bad review from PC Gamer (in the 60% range I think) so I'll be passing on that for now.

Out of the first 3 Spawn, which is the best?

Oh, and I'm already planning on upgrading my video card for Crysis. I will buy that the day it comes out.

Spawn-Inc
07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
well if you want scary (like things jumping out at you or just an eerie feel) then go for Fear or Quake 4. fear has more of an eerie feel what with that little girl and all. quake 4 has the thing jumping out at you and when things run at you its freaky sometimes. Stalker is more of a shooting and missions tpye of game. make sure you get the latest patch for stalker before you try playing (if you don't you older game saves don't work with the new patch) it to much. if you like guns then stalker is the way to go. of all the games i haven't finished any or even gotten halfway becuase i get board very fast and was also play ps2 or wii. i've put off finishing them until i get my gaming rig.

.Maleficus.
07-04-2007, 09:14 AM
well if you want scary (like things jumping out at you or just an eerie feel) then go for Fear or Quake 4. fear has more of an eerie feel what with that little girl and all. quake 4 has the thing jumping out at you and when things run at you its freaky sometimes. Stalker is more of a shooting and missions tpye of game. make sure you get the latest patch for stalker before you try playing (if you don't you older game saves don't work with the new patch) it to much. if you like guns then stalker is the way to go. of all the games i haven't finished any or even gotten halfway becuase i get board very fast and was also play ps2 or wii. i've put off finishing them until i get my gaming rig.
Great man, thanks for the tips! I'm still a little undecided about what game, so I guess I'll have to look at some screenshots and read some reviews until I decide which one. +rep to you though.

HackSore
07-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Prey bored the hell out of me after a while, dont know what it was about it, it just got so tedious, i couldnt bring myself to finish it.

The others are all decent choices (havent played Sin though, so i cant comment on that)
I was really impressed with FEAR when i played it though, great AI, great graphics, great gameplay, cant go wrong with it for the FPS addict really!
What i have played of stalker is pretty awesome too.

FrooP
07-04-2007, 01:03 PM
w00t i LOVE prey, this game was sooo cool, wayyyyyyyyyy better than doom 3 great grafix cool weapons (bugs as granades) storyline hm.. quiete cool blood gore n stuff, quite disgusting but theme maching, yes i was sad when it was done :) bw stalker is soooo a kelwish game, i play it with a SAWM mod, realistic weapons more enviroment sounds and waayyy more scaryer i think, quake 4 um.. i hate it, i played it completly through (american uncut version) it was soo disgusting, seeing your legs sawed, get a piece of metal between the eyes, gore endless and story, senseless.. i played it but i was happy that i brought it to an end, but i have to say i dont like doom 3 either... if you want PURE fun try serious sam II its older but its soo funny

Redundant
07-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Halo, of course. 8)
I've never been a fan of humans vs. humans war games and this was exactly the kind of game I was looking for.
It has a very good storyline. If you do get it, I suggest reading the books too; they aren't necessary, but they will make you love the story even more.

If you're still not convinced, I suggest you watch the preview for Halo 3 from E3 2006 (http://www.halo3boards.org/downloads/halo3trailer.mov). (Quicktime file) (Here's a screenshot from the preview (http://www.halo3reviews.com/photos/pics/halo3-1-full.jpg) too.)

Spawn-Inc
07-04-2007, 02:08 PM
well if i had to choose one i would go with stalker.

Airbozo
07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Prey was fun to play, but seemed a little short.

Doom3 scared the **** out of me many late nights to the point I uninstalled it and put it away. Now I want to play again and cannot find my disks... I think what added to the freakyness was the sound. The hair on the back of my neck would stand up just because the music changed or a sound came from behind me. Too many late nights I found myself looking over my shoulder for the baddie creeping up behind me.

Greco101
07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
There's also Battlefield 2142

I just got Battlefield 2 and love it but it's hard as hell. It takes A LOT of getting used to. I still don't know how far you're supposed to lead off when sniping.

YoungBlood
07-11-2007, 09:23 PM
omg.. your all noobs... CS:S is the greatest game ever

Spawn-Inc
07-11-2007, 11:24 PM
pfft... theres a joke if i ever heard one... its ok but its no where near the greatest. DOD:S is way better!

.Maleficus.
07-12-2007, 09:18 PM
omg.. your all noobs... CS:S is the greatest game ever
No. You're the n00b. LOL.

Anyways, I got STALKER and it's pretty cool. Like Oblivion, except Sci-Fi (neato!). Anyways, aside from being pretty buggy, it's a pretty good game. Speaking of which, anyone else experiencing minor glitches (ie, random freezes)? Maybe it's because I haven't patched it to the latest? I don't want to have to erase my 4 game saves though... :rolleyes:

Spawn-Inc
07-13-2007, 12:08 AM
yes mine froze allllll the time the patch helped a good bit but it still freezes. i always thought it froze becuase of my older computer not being able to handle it. not sure how far you have gotten in the 4 gamesaves but get the patch before you get to far. i didn't think of it until i got almost halfway done and now i gotta start from scratch... all those guns i have to re earn dammit:(:(:(:(

.Maleficus.
07-14-2007, 07:29 AM
yes mine froze allllll the time the patch helped a good bit but it still freezes. i always thought it froze becuase of my older computer not being able to handle it. not sure how far you have gotten in the 4 gamesaves but get the patch before you get to far. i didn't think of it until i got almost halfway done and now i gotta start from scratch... all those guns i have to re earn dammit:(:(:(:(
Damn... I finished the first mission :rolleyes: but I still don't want to start all over. It's stuff like this that makes me wonder how anyone can charge $50 for a game. Or for that matter $30. If I'm spending my hard-earned money on something, it better damn well be bug-free. Same with OS releases (you know who you are...)

simon275
07-14-2007, 10:10 PM
If you are into war games you may like ARMA, it's like a FPS conquest game. I didn't like it too much, but I have heard alot of others rave about it.

Yes if you are looking for the most realistic military simulator on the PC this is it. But since it is realistic you aren't super human take a bullet and you bleed!!!.

A lot like operation flash point but with more vechiles, one huge map, bigger battles, better graphics you are starting to get an idea.

Its not like a conquest game there is nothing to capture as such just mission triggers. And for every main mission there are two side missions and by completing them may cause main missions in the future to play out different. So the game is repayable. Plus it has online play and a easy to use map editor.

The game though is very slow and tactical some missions may take a couple of hours to play and you may have to replay a mission 3-4 times to finish it. E.g. Having to drive a truck for 45mins just to pickup some guys and drive back. And you can only naviagate using a map and compass.

Spawn-Inc
07-14-2007, 10:16 PM
thats sounds like a bit of fun, i will have to look more into it.

xRyokenx
07-15-2007, 12:22 AM
I enjoy STALKER, I haven't been able to play it too much, but it's quite good. Graphics that go good with the theme, AI that is so good it will kill you (I've been flanked and seen other things done by the AI that was impressive), etc. A great, diverse game. Like with all other things, I'd do some reseach, ie. demos, etc., before I buy.

Eclecticos
07-15-2007, 08:21 AM
I just got the game F.E.A.R. . It's alot better than I expected!

You can shoot at damn near anything and it explodes or breaks into a thousand peices.
The Gore is Awesome! Blood Splatters all over the place. Yeaaaa. . uhhh..

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2262/00002849qg3.jpg
BI_MfjybxP8

OvRiDe
07-15-2007, 12:38 PM
I really enjoyed F.E.A.R, gameplay was good, and it was creepy but not flat out scary! The only thing that annoyed me was having to stand around and listen to Voice Mails to get the whole story. I don't like listening to VM at work much less when I am playing a game. But thats just me.. heh Its definitely worth the play.