PDA

View Full Version : Ok cant decide.

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Should I go with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163108

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151025

Explanations as to why, other then price would be appreciated.

Im personally leaning towards the Silverstone because its not much more packs another 50 watts and has a few good reviews. The bottom one has a ton more reviews and this is why im hesitant.

public_eyesore
07-15-2005, 05:43 PM
i say silverstone, because ive never heard of the other company

MrSlacker
07-15-2005, 06:40 PM
why do you need such a beefy PSU?

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Really dont, but i am running SLI according to my motherboard manual the dual 6600's need about 320 watt which is what im doing, but once 6800's fall in price ill do them in sli as well and they get to about 500watts with the 6800 ultras (this is according to a manual). Plus I have read people not using sli certified psu's but since the SLI is fairly new i want to stick to everything that is sli certified so i dont run into ne hick ups. What sux about that is... well everything thats sli certified becuz it IS certified slap on a larger price tag.

Anyways I ended up getting the silverstone and my 2nd 6600 today. I kno people dont believe 6600 are the best but they are wonderful for the price, and run side bye side witht eh 6800 as long as you have a low res, and im not going to exceed 1024x768 so itll be great. People are getting dual stock 6600's benchmarked at over 6,000 and thats plent for me.

MrSlacker
07-15-2005, 10:10 PM
so you got that PSU for dual 6600? wow, what a waste of money.... whould have gotten OCZ Powerstream 520W and be set...... :rolleyes: but its your money, so its your choices

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Its really not a waste, more like a future investment. It is a bit of a waste but I dont mind too much. I kno down the like going to need some more power hungry parts. it supposedly good quailty and reccomended by a few people who have my same setup. But honestly the reason I'm building this computer is so i can have it for a couple years and be possible for me to make a few changes here in there like different dual cards if it ever becomes neccesary. It was actually hard for me to spend the money seeing as prior to these past 2 weeks i havent spent more then 40$ on a psu. Dad also had some convincing to gett he better stuff esspecially since the psu screwed my last rig. It as a 320 watt and I think I was running it near max for quite some time but not really sure just knew it blew and killed my mobo.

MrSlacker
07-16-2005, 12:39 AM
i am all for a good PSU, i have Antec NeoPower 480W myself. i just think 600W PSU is an overkill. how many HDDs and drives r u running?

sXenoG
07-16-2005, 03:01 AM
currently only 1 hd and 1 rom but planning on expanding to 4 sata drive on raid 1. and Until recently i wasnt even goign to have a rom lol. I spent 6 months without a rom to make sure my cases face looked clean but then i wanted to go back tot eh good old days and play star craft again and since i couldnt get the nocd hack to work i just stealthed the drive in like 5 min looked really good but ive been redoing my room and my mom took my computer down and when doing so knocked the cover off so now its just a hole with an ugly cd-rom until i can find the cover agian.

I must agree its a little overkill. But then again i didnt want to leave it to truepower 2 i was highly considering it but just didnt look satisfactory even with good reviews. then the next ones were pretty much 130$ so i decided what the heck might as well spend another 30$ for a psu that should last me quite a long time. Had good reviews and looks descent althought ill have ot do some better cable management even tho wires wont even be seen in my mod.

DRece
07-16-2005, 03:18 AM
I have the silverstone psu in my 64 machine, and so far have had power not be an issue. But the psu has some notable wieght to it.

sXenoG
07-16-2005, 05:32 AM
Hows the sound on it and I believe I saw that it was 6 pounds but dont quote me on it. Im not conserned witht eh weight my case which i hope to start this month will accomidate all my specs fully :)