PDA

View Full Version : Would you enter?

TylerL
07-17-2005, 03:27 AM
I'm working on a new site, based completely off modding and (possibly) overclocking contests.

The idea is this:

Every little while, I'll start a new contest, with different rules and different prizes. You have until the deadline to work on your mod project, at which time you have to submit photos of your mod and proof that the mod was made for the contest. Those pictures are submitted to a panel of judges that will decide on the top 10 winners, the top 3 of which will receive prizes (or only the first place winner, depending on how big the prize). The winners mod will be showcased on the frontpage until the next contest ends!

Some contests could be something like:

Take this case and turn it into a specific game themed case, and find a clever way to hide a CD/DVD 5.25 drive!

A good example of an entry for this contest would be Paul Capello's Doom 3 mod. Of course, this wouldn't necessarily be a contest on the site, and Paul couldn't enter the Doom 3 mod because all mods must be made for the contest.

That's my site idea, I'm just wondering how many of you here would enter the contests? and what kind of prizes would you be interested in winning?

Thanks!
Tyler

sXenoG
07-17-2005, 03:42 AM
I think time limits are kind of hard. As well as using specific cases. Id like to do such things but the only people I think whod compete are either professionals or people who have alot of money.

I think maybe if you broadened the specifics to the contests itd be much more compelling to bring new people in as well as allow for a great deal more of creativity.

As for prizes perhaps gfx cards, or money, gift certificates to newegg. I dont know how you'd fund that tho unless you asked around for people to sponsor you.

TylerL
07-17-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm just citing that as an example of what could be a contest on the site. Of course, there would be some restrictions, but I plan on letting the modders be as creative as possible.

As for the prizes, I'll find ways to fund it :) Be it sponsors or out of my pocket, I plan on somehow being able to make back the money from prizes, be it through advertisements or something else.

Thanks for the input sXenoG :)

Crimson Sky
07-17-2005, 10:18 AM
I think it would be hard to get people to build rigs just for a contest---CompUSA tried this and it was a miserable failure--considering the time,cash and effort that goes into even simple case mods, its going to be pretty tough to get people to build cases on a whim specifically for a contest--you cant really justify spending money on parts/materials plus your labor in the possibility that you will win a few bucks and a graphics card--example:

Parts & materials for Doom3 Project: $10,000.00 (not including time/Labor)

you might get people doing simple mods, who planned them anyway and decided to enter the contest--getting people to build one specifically for prizes--- 0% chance i think.

sXenoG
07-17-2005, 04:04 PM
holy crap.. 10,000 with hardware included I atleast hope. Whats your job? Id like to have 10 grand to spend on a pc lol.

TylerL
07-17-2005, 07:42 PM
I think Crimson's right, time to move on to another site idea :) I'm trying to think of something to do with the domain MyOverclock.com