PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass case?

dafatkid
07-17-2005, 06:16 AM
I've played around with basic modding for a while now and have been working on a fiberglass case now for a couple of weeks, should be really killer when completed but now I'm having grounding and static build up concerns. Do I have to worry?

sXenoG
07-17-2005, 07:00 AM
As far as I kno grounding shouldnt be an issue because cases have been build from wood. As for static if you're getting static buildup that could be a huge issue because static can put any electric component at its knees as far as i know.

crenn
07-17-2005, 10:19 AM
To try to compate the static, have a few pieces of metal in the fibreglass to neuterlise the static, in theory it should work.....

dafatkid
07-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks, I thought of the metal idea and used some pieces from a hacked case for stability as well.

Malatory
07-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Also make sure the Resin Epoxy is non-conductive. That would also take care of the static charge.

Hyginkz
07-21-2005, 10:48 AM
The only way you will be able to disipate a static charge from the case is to use a conductive paint inside and out on the fiberglass. Contrary to popular belief, insulators are the primary cause of static. Anytime something rubs up against it, it will build a charge. Not only that, the static build up will collect lots of dust. Dust is bad.

Cymae
07-23-2005, 02:59 AM
I have a plexi case, made ENTIRELY out of plexi. I've never had static problems....

sXenoG
07-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Maybe cuz its not fiberglass?

Malatory
07-23-2005, 10:11 PM
once again. using the right epoxy can keep the static bugs away.

epoxy resins
Related: Organic Chemistry

group of synthetic resins used to make plastics and adhesives. These materials are noted for their versatility, but their relatively high cost has limited their use. High resistance to chemicals and outstanding adhesion, durability, and toughness have made them valuable as coatings. Because of their high electrical resistance, durability at high and low temperatures, and the ease with which they can be poured or cast without forming bubbles, epoxy resin plastics are especially useful for encapsulating electrical and electronic components. Epoxy resin adhesives can be used on metals, construction materials, and most other synthetic resins. They are strong enough to be used in place of rivets and welds in certain industrial applications.

where I got the quote : http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/e1/epoxyres.asp

dafatkid
07-25-2005, 06:10 AM
I like the quote, nice touch. Yeah I used an epoxy resin and have finally begun the wonderfull set of sanding shaping and bondo, this is gonna take a while but it's gonna look awsome, once I'm a little further along I'll post some pic's for some finishing ideas. I'm also thinking of droping in a secondary power suplly to run linear actuators that are gonna open two doors, I don't think I'll have any problems with wiring anyone think otherwise?

Hyginkz
07-28-2005, 10:30 PM
The only time you should have "problems" with static is when you are messing around inside touching stuff. As long as everything is pluged in and grounded you should be ok. What we know and what we do are 2 diffrent things.make sure you are grounded and keep the components away from the plastics when your working on them. just some fyi, unrolling a piece of masking tape generates 7k volt static charge.

P.S. sounds cool, I would like to see some pic's when its done...